LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-15-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Brodit phone mount install

I never knew about this kit until I read these pages and somebody mentioned it - thanks whoever you are! As you know, I temporarily installed a wire under the console and just propped the phone up in a cupholder which is useless for what it was designed. The problem there was that when receiving an email or message, it is very tempting to look at the screen down there. I abhor the handling of phones on the move and would never suggest anyone do it but in combination with a good hands free kit, the phone mount makes the mobile phone just about as acceptable as it is possible to get.

I ordered this kit online and when it came I was very impressed with the quality. They are made by a Swedish Company and unlike many other kits and accessories I’ve seen, these are not at all tacky.

The kit comes in two parts - a mount that actually holds the phone and a separate bespoke bracket to fit to your car. The CX-3 kit is especially good as it fits high up, close to the infotainment screen and high enough that you don’t have to lower your eyes much from the road.

Both items come with instructions but they don’t give much detail about how to run the wire so I thought I’d document how I did it.

To start with, that padded trim across the dash has to come off. Start right at the far end on the passenger side. Brodie provide a small trim puller which you could use or you can buy a cheap set of trim tools online. Insert the tool at the bottom of the trim and gently was it out towards you.

Work your way along the trim, just easing it out and using your hand behind to encourage it;

With the trim off, you can see the voids that will allow you to feed the wire down. Luckily, the trim isn’t a tight fit up to the facia so it ends up feeding through just fine (you will see later).

You’ve seen me get the console out several times so you know the score. Finger nails under that bright trim and ease it up equally;

As we now have an arm rest installed it isn’t as easy to get the console off but there is enough room to lift it at the front. Get your fingers or that trim tool under the sides and lift it up;

.....and now you can pop that gear shift surround up. So far we have not used a screwdriver - it all pulls apart!

.....and finally, pop the back (nearest to you) of the little shelf under the USB ports. Get hold of that side trim and pull it towards you;

Now move down to floor level. That trim at the side of the console just pulls off. Remember you left hand drive guys, your will be exactly opposite in the passenger footwell;

OK, now you are ready to feed the wire down. I’ve got a little claw for grabbing items but you could tape the USB to a rod or dowel and use that to feed the USB plug from the top;

down to the floor and out by the heater vent;

Now feed it back up so you can fish it out at the side of the CD player;

......then feed it forward and out under the USB ports. I cut a little vee out of the frame so I could run it in with the wire from the dash cam but it will just trap under the accessory shelf just like this;

OK, now we’re gaining on it. Go back up to the top trim and start to position the wire as shown (US guys working backwards);

You could now do with being an octopus. But you separate the two halves of the mount by undoing the centre screw. Use the four tiny screws to screw the holder to the bracket and clip the bracket to the trim just in line with the hazard warning switch. Put the single screw back into the holder and nip it up but not tight. When all three parts are assembled it will look like this;

Notice, I fed the wire over the swivel to help keep it obscured then down underneath and while holding the wire in position start carefully popping those clips back in making sure the little lugs engage the mating holes in the facia. Start at the inner end of the trim and work out toward the end. Don’t push it fully back until all the lugs are engaged then position that wire close in by the bracket so it looks like this;

Now push the trim back and trap the wire The trim doesn’t fit tight so don’t worry about the wire. The bracket comes with an alcohol swab and there are sticky pads to peel off. The same kit fits a Mazda 2 and 3 which have hard trim but our padded trim doesn’t need it as it fits really tight.

Once pushed back it all looks like this;

You can sit in the drivers seat now and position the cradle to suite you then nip that centre screw up.

There are two brackets available of an iPhone 6. One has an adjustable cradle to use with the phone skin but the fixed one is nicest as it is beautifully lined with flock to protect the phone. OK, the skin has to be popped off to use it but that takes seconds and it fits a treat;

When installed, the phone is well up in view and the wire is pretty well not seen;

Messages and missed calls are well in view and don’t forget, Mrs satnav will read them out to you if required;

Just pop all the bits back around the console and you are done.
DJ9999, ccie5754, osterga and 6 others like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

Last edited by anchorman; 11-15-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-20-2015, 06:51 PM
JPA

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
I never knew about this kit until I read these pages and somebody mentioned it - thanks whoever you are!
It might have been me. You're welcome.

Did you use the adhesive tape on the bracket? Mine seems to be holding without. I wasn't sure if my universal phone holder will work and didn't want to do a "permanent" install.

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD
post #3 of 21 Old 11-20-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA View Post
It might have been me. You're welcome.

Did you use the adhesive tape on the bracket? Mine seems to be holding without. I wasn't sure if my universal phone holder will work and didn't want to do a "permanent" install.
Well thank you JPA.

No, as mentioned in the text, I didn't bother with the tape either for the same reasons - it's really tight enough and I may well want to take it off at some stage without marking the leather.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #4 of 21 Old 11-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Nice work!

Have you thought about using a black sync cable instead of the white?
post #5 of 21 Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9999 View Post
Nice work!

Have you thought about using a black sync cable instead of the white?
That was down to my iPhone, iPad and iMac not speaking and even they can't fix it.

The kit comes with a non detachable black cable. I should have used this photo

DJ9999 likes this.

post #6 of 21 Old 02-06-2016, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Hi Anchorman, i see the item number on the brodit site as 655114 - The Australian distributor for the centre mount wants $49 Aud then the non powered phone holder is $70, or $120 for the holder with the dock for the charger - Seems like a rort - Do you have a link online for where to buy these from for a better price? cheers.

*Edit* Found a generic S6 Edge phoneholder with the charger to fit the brodit item, that doesn't require a large cigarette socket adaptor on ebay - cheers.

Last edited by Silman; 02-06-2016 at 12:10 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-06-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silman View Post
Hi Anchorman, i see the item number on the brodit site as 655114 - The Australian distributor for the centre mount wants $49 Aud then the non powered phone holder is $70, or $120 for the holder with the dock for the charger - Seems like a rort - Do you have a link online for where to buy these from for a better price? cheers.

*Edit* Found a generic S6 Edge phoneholder with the charger to fit the brodit item, that doesn't require a large cigarette socket adaptor on ebay - cheers.
I used this UK supplier;

Brodit Proclip | UK | DSLDevelopments

post #8 of 21 Old 02-06-2016, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks anchorman! This is by far the cleanest looking phone mount mod.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-06-2016, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Thanks mate.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I've used Brodit mounts for around 7 years and have ordered the adaptor bracket for the CX-3. Thanks for the photo guide on where to run the cable.

Still.................mustn't grumble