Reading info from CDs. - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-30-2015, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reading info from CDs.

I tried my first CD today, and of the 4 discs I had tried (all were purchased new, not copies), NONE of them showed any info about Tracks, Artist etc.

Drove over to my dealer and my salesman let me try one of his discs, and up popped all the info. I couldn't believe my eyes!

Does this database only have the most popular music in it.

My discs aren't THAT obscure, but neither would I say they fall into the "Pop" category.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Track info is not present on pre recorded CDs. My guess is that the dealer was using a disc burned from a computer in MP3 format which does carry that info. The car does run Gracenote which will try and identify the CD from the number of tracks and the track length but if there is for instance, a bonus track it won't recognise it. You can make sure you have the latest Gracenote database by following this,

http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.c...ateProcess.pdf

The best way would be copy your album into iTunes or media player, select "get music info" which will add all the data and then burn it as an MP3 which will then come up with all the data and the album cover on your Mazda display.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 5 Old 10-31-2015, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
For me a Morse Code reader or a Papyrus Recognition System would have been as useful as the CD player in my car. Then again, vinyl is making a come back, so maybe I should hang on to those 8-track tapes

Not a useful comment I know, just saying

post #4 of 5 Old 10-31-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I talked to Mazda USA, and they're telling me that the CX-3 will display info from a CD, only if that CD has the info encoded on it.
I do have a few CDs that have that info on them but they are very rare (I think Sony was doing that). CD Text it may have been called.

Then I took a look at the owner's manual and it says that the Gracenote database is only used for USB (if I read that correctly).
But that doesn't make much sense to me because everything I put on my USB drives has already been tagged with the info.
I guess it would give info on that drive if it had no tags.
I don't get it.

My last car used Gracenote, and it would display info for both CDs and USB.

Last edited by Zoom; 11-01-2015 at 02:25 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-31-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccie5754 View Post
For me a Morse Code reader or a Papyrus Recognition System would have been as useful as the CD player in my car. Then again, vinyl is making a come back, so maybe I should hang on to those 8-track tapes

Not a useful comment I know, just saying

Yeah, most of my music-playing in my car is either from my phone (via BT) or with USB drives.
But if I get a new CD and I want to hear it in the car, before I've had a chance to rip it to mp3 or wav, I'll pop it in the CD player.

BTW...
It *IS* nice to see that vinyl is not dead. Many of my musical memories are on vinyl.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode