User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-10-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Upgrade OEM backup camera?

Has anyone looked into this?

The quality of the image is absolute trash, it looks like VGA resolution, or worse.

Is it possible to upgrade just the camera piece to a better resolution camera? Or is it the screen? Does the camera itself use a proprietary connection or something that can be easily swapped?

This idea has been running around my head with the mice, so figured I'd put it out there to the universe.

19 CX-3 GT Deep Blue | Rokblokz Mud Flaps | XPEL Front Wrap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure the answer to those questions, though it comes out easily, mine was dislodged when the dealer cleaned the car last service!

CX-3 Sport Nav AWD 2.0 petrol Soul Red
post #3 of 3 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Right off the bat theres an issue of connectors. Even aftermarket cx-3/2 chinese radios state oem camera wont work because of the connectors. Which then in turn means that aftermarket cameras wont work with the mazda unit because of connectors.

Now theres a possibility that you can splice into the oem connector, basically cut off the old camera wireing and solder in the new one but theres no guarantee that might work because it could have specific voltage requirements possibly giving less power to oem than new one would require or something like that. Theres also the issue of the touchscreen being limited in resolution output. Say you put a higher res camera, I have not seen any evidence that the unit we have would take a higher res picture. Theoretically it would scale/adjust but then again mazda has been a pita about this headunit and most likely hardcoded resolution limits it for sake of convenience.

If mine ever fails I will 99% probably go down this route and replace it somehow but until then I dont have any reason to :/

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car