User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-23-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OEM radio wiring harness model?

'Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying your beautiful rides

I have a 2016 CX-3 GX with a non-carplay radio. I'm planning to install a DSP (have not decided yet which to get) and would like to know what brand and model wiring harness I can use to go from the factory radio to a DSP.

'Much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Al

Mazda CX-3 GX Sport FWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-23-2019, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
When you say non-carplay radio what do you mean by that? The carplay stuff is basically just a cable upgrade to the lower ports with support hardware and a software update. There shouldnt be a difference if you have the full touchscreen.

The only reason why I ask is because I have found some full android os headunits for the cx-3 which replace the screen entirely but its only available for certain international cx-3 models which dont have the touch screen but rather a radio and volume knob on the top where the touchscreen would be. I didnt even know that radio only cx-3's exist until I stumbled upon that since US only sells this model which is why I ask. Usually those units come with dsp including wiring harnesses but I dont think it works with our full oem touchscreen units.

Edit: The top shows the before installation of those headunits I was talking about as a reference picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	te.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	22577  

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #3 of 5 Old 10-24-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I have no plans on replacing the stock touchscreen unit. I find upgrading firmware and putting in the hardware to enable Android Auto/Apple CarPlay too steep at almost $500 so I'm planning a different route to upgrade audio.

I just need to confirm if the actual radio unit is beneath the touchscreen or somewhere behind the glove compartment. After some more search it looks like some cx-3 owners have used a metra 71-7903 harness to the unit behind the glove compartment. They then used an aftermarket PAC brand line out converter that goes to aftermarket amp(s).

If anyone has done their install differently, I'd like to get your thoughts before I start buying stuff. Thanks in advance.

Mazda CX-3 GX Sport FWD

post #4 of 5 Old 10-24-2019, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canizara View Post
I have no plans on replacing the stock touchscreen unit. I find upgrading firmware and putting in the hardware to enable Android Auto/Apple CarPlay too steep at almost $500 so I'm planning a different route to upgrade audio.

I just need to confirm if the actual radio unit is beneath the touchscreen or somewhere behind the glove compartment. After some more search it looks like some cx-3 owners have used a metra 71-7903 harness to the unit behind the glove compartment. They then used an aftermarket PAC brand line out converter that goes to aftermarket amp(s).

If anyone has done their install differently, I'd like to get your thoughts before I start buying stuff. Thanks in advance.
The touchscreen is mounted on a single DIN sized unit in a single DIN cage. AFAIK there's no other radio unit - I'm fairly certain that behind the glove box is where the factory amp is if you have the Bose system.

If you DIY the AA/CP module (assuming you're in the USA) is only going to run you about $160 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KRPSRKH. No console disassembly required if you drill it out - four strategic holes in the corners of the original USB unit will snap the tabs holding it in place. then you can reach through from behind and do all of the wiring.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-28-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

I may not have the time and patience for this so after much thought I decided to just let a pro install the Pioneer DEQ-S1000A DSP as he'll have access to the necessary tools and harness.

Let me know if anyone is interested with the result of this install which is happening in 2 weeks time.

Thanks all for the comments/help.

Mazda CX-3 GX Sport FWD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode