User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-14-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Programming rapid hazard flashing under hard braking

In Europe under hard braking by law either the hazard flashers or brake lights flash at a rapid pace, then keep the brake lights on steady and turn on the standard hazard flashers once the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

By EU standards, the emergency flashing lights under hard braking are activated when the braking force is greater than 6m/s2 for passenger vehicles. I came across an emergency braking situation on the interstate where a deer popped in front of the person in front of me. Their BMW activated the brake lights, but also turned on the rear fog lamp as an emergency braking light in a feature called Brake Force Display.

In the States, the two main brake lamps, not the CHMSL must stay lit steadily when braking no matter the force of the braking, however doesn't regulate whether or not the hazard flashers may turn on automatically and temporarily. Some states regulate hazard warning flashers while driving, but not while braking.

There has been a study where rapidly flashing brake or hazard lamps decreased a driver's reaction time in emergency braking situations: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...55/2014/792670. Mazda does have this feature, however it is limited to markets outside the US: https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/...ve_safety/ess/

Long story short, anybody able to program this into a CX-3 or maybe install a Raspberry Pi with some special coding?

2019 Mazda CX-3 Sport "Bitesized Barbara"
46G Machine Gray Metallic, D0E Black Cloth
Birthday: 30 May 2019 | Adoption: 2 Sep 2019
Build Codes: FOL - PORTFOLIO | Z85 - I-ACTIVESENSE STANDALONE | JCG - MACHINE GRAY PAINT CHARGE | 1SP - SPORT I-ACTIVESENSE PKG
Modifications: Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-14-2019, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I installed one of these on my third brake light and it works great.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...SABEgK-ivD_BwE
post #3 of 4 Old 09-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
This sounds like a job for an Arduino with an accelerometer. Connect an output pin to the CHMSL via an NC relay so that the light stays on during normal braking.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-17-2019, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
This sounds like a job for an Arduino with an accelerometer. Connect an output pin to the CHMSL via an NC relay so that the light stays on during normal braking.
This probably, I havent messed around with Arduino but one of the issues with using raspi as a controller mainly due to people having attempted headunit tablet replacements in automotive aspects, is how to handle the on/off cycle. Raspi specifically is basically a tiny computer and doesnt respond too well to forced shutoffs and takes a bit to boot up to whatever settings you set it onto. Operations are the easy part but handling on/off state of the car while having the response time of a generic product from ebay which works with the car once its wired in makes it hard and discouraging to go that route.

The other route is to permanently hardwire it to the battery/always on current which is gonna be a drain however slight it may be and isnt recommended.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode