Android / Apple Carplay Unit - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-02-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Android / Apple Carplay Unit

Can someone explain what you get with this upgrade unit, I have read about it but can't fully get my head around what advantage it will offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-02-2019, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Im not going to get into the apps that people will boast about like waze since it wont apply to some people (like me) but all its basically doing is mirroring the android auto interface of your phone. You will need to have it plugged in which is an extra step people must do when getting into the car to use it. All its really doing is giving you a slightly larger screen to show your phone screen (not fully mirror the entire phone) on AA interface. Also worth noting that not all apps are usable only the ones that android auto supports. I have not installed it myself but I believe you get functionality with the console knob controller also so you dont have to use the touchscreen but I could be mistaken about this.

You will still need to use your phones data, processing power, space etc for whatever. The mazda unit is basically just an external monitor for AA/CP.

Do not confuse this with aftermarket android headunits such as joyingAuto or Pumpkin which provide a full android OS headunit with standalone app support basically like a tablet running full android. AA/CP additions are not really adding any standalone value since you can basically use your phone to do the exact same thing if you pop it on a dash/window/or vent mount clip. But to some the extra convenience is worth the price.

Note:I wrote this in the android prespective but same thing will apply to apple also.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Last edited by SlyCoopers; 06-02-2019 at 04:04 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-02-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Think of it like modern cruise control features that manufacturers try to market as "NEW TECHNOLOGY DOING NEW STUFF OOOOOOH" but to those who dont use cruise control its rather irrelevant.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

post #4 of 8 Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you don't know what AA/CP is then you're way out of the times and probably don't need it.

19 CX-3 GT Deep Blue | Rokblokz Mud Flaps | XPEL Front Wrap
post #5 of 8 Old 06-04-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykop View Post
If you don't know what AA/CP is then you're way out of the times and probably don't need it.
I have decided I don't, I use 2 USB memory sticks with all my thousands of music tracks on and that is fine for me
post #6 of 8 Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
For me it's about having a navigation system that doesn't suck.

I'm not bashing Mazda's nav system so much as I'm bashing ALL of them.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo100 View Post
Can someone explain what you get with this upgrade unit, I have read about it but can't fully get my head around what advantage it will offer.
This upgrade allows your phone to be directly managed as a disply on your infotainment screen.

Where regular BlueTooth (audio/phone) allows your phone to run through your audio system, the Carplay upgrade allows you to manipulate your phone as if you had placed it on holder at the level of your screen, and allows you to use the infotainment button / audio button on your center console to toggle through the apps, etc.

The advantages for this, are that you don't have to keep reaching for your phone, to receive text, manage your audiobooks, manage your Google Maps or Waze, or Apple Maps, or PodCast apps, or Text Messages. If you've ever put your phone away, wishing you didn't have to reach for it, but wished you could have the advantages of using a limited number of driving-safe apps, then you might want to consider this.

It's not for everyone, but I have found it so indispensible, that all my cars have been upgraded to CarPlay one way (dealer upgrade) or another (aftermarket stereo).

If you use your phone as a workhorse, and see the advantage of it as a tool instead of a mere novelty or distraction, A/A Carplay will then allow you to use your car as a similar tool while you're driving. At least I have. Good luck!

"Form drives function"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 03:51 AM

Garage
Android Auto is a great tool

You can use waze, maps, use a music player such as deezer or napster, and all that while keeping voice command.

You can say 'OK GOOGLE' and it will work on your screen just like your phone and find an adress / make a call / or play music...all that much more accurately then the mazda connect system

We have it on our other vehicule from factory but thanks to MazdaTweaks I decided to make the big jump

Just did the homemade version update on mazda connect version 56 on our 2016 cx3

Took a little bit of patience but it's defenitly worth it (and in addition I added a video player, a Speedometer app etc...)

Last edited by Aussoja; 06-06-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode