1Likes
  • 1 Post By SlyCoopers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-23-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Lightbulb Future Android Headunits

This is basically just an informational notice on something I never thought would be a reality.

So a while back I wanted to install a joyingauto android headunit in the cx-3 because you can locate the screen anywhere as long as you have the display extension cables and can attach the screen mounting clips somewhere such as the area above the climate knobs. This wouldve been a standalone unit separate from the oem setup and such etc etc.

Today I went down a youtube rabbit hole of android headunits for other cars and stumbled upon some for the cx-4 and cx-5 which got me thinking how was this even possible? There is so much integration in the cmu that swapping a traditional aftermarket headunit is no longer a possibility for most modern cars. Apparently this is no longer the case which is exciting!

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhbit C: This one is unique since it shows the install process of the entire new unit on a cx-4(?)
https://youtu.be/nwK2S7wRzbc

Exhibit D: A playlist of a vendor's mazda headunit videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uMr4D9ak_SnTTE

And finally exhibit E: Supposedly a cx-3 radio unit???
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Core-10-2...-/132661642422

^ This is super hype for those of us who like to tinker with cars and update the headunit etc. HOWEVER because the listing is super sketchy its not recommended to buy based on initial adverts. But it is a step in the right direction in helping revive the dying aftermarket audio industry on modern cars.

To my understanding these new units fully integrate with existing mounts and connections to the point it even comes with a new set of console controls for under the armrest. Still no word on how this integrates with bose vs non-bose systems and if steering wheel controls are supported (some do butyou have to manually register them in the system settings). Also what would happen to the settings control? I doubt they paid mazda to lease the rights for their infotainment system settings code so there is no indication to what would happen with that. I could speculate that it would save your most recent settings set by the oem unit but that would assume that these settings are saved elsewhere and not on the unit itself??

That being said its a great start and Ill update if I find anything else or decide to be a guinea pig on a promising model should one come up eventually.
Stokers Rule likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-23-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
So I found myself looking even further into this and it seems that some international cx3 (and possibly international mazda 2's) do not have a fully functional infotainment touchscreen/radio setup. They just have a radio in a fancy configuration where our screens would be. This would make sense why none of these sellers say anything about integrating with oem system settings since these models would not have it. Oh well at least its a step in the right direction especially since exhibit C link above shows them replacing a full touchscreen unit on the cx4(?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-02-23 at 5.12.42 PM.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	22063  

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Last edited by SlyCoopers; 02-23-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode