1Likes
  • 1 Post By PandaG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Retrofitting HUD/steering wheel

Has anyone have any experience with retrofitting the new HUD to 2016 year model or before, because the new one look so much nicer. also has anyone retrofitted old steering wheel with new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
There are a few who have retro’d a steering wheel but the HUD would involve A LOT more to do. There are some aftermarket HUDs that you attach where you like however. Their accuracy might be a different story than the flashy commercials though:

https://youtu.be/JOyXT8vgrsY
SlyCoopers likes this.

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
For the HUD I believe someone attempted it but the signals sent were different and incompatible not to mention the modifications needed to install it in place of the old one on the dash. The cost did not outweigh the benefit by anymeans necessary unfortunatly.

Aftermarket wise, if you do decide to ever go down that route on other cars, I would avoid anything that tries to tether to your phone through an app, whether its wireless or requires your phone on the dash to reflect off of the screen. Almost every 'company' has overpriced their hud, still has a ton of ugly wires (the pictures and videos you see never show the wires which is annoying since the reality is disappointing). They data mine the soul out of your phone, and have a ton of connectivity issues. Some have even mysteriously gone out of business and left owners with a broken piece of software after spending 400+ on their equipment.

That being said, those that do work with some degree of accuracy are the ones that connect to the obd2 port are are independent of your device.
Even if it does work but you will still need to take into account a few more things.
-Hiding the wires
-Finding actual flat surface to mount the unit
-Not having it stolen by random passerby who decides it looks better in their pocket
-Hoping no electrical issue happens that burns out the obd2 port lol

Not recommending these products specifically but these are generic models which you will find different sellers stamping their name onto it and playing it off as their own. Always look at the user review pictures for real life usage and visibility of wires.

https://www.amazon.com/DRIVIM-Multif...gateway&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.com/LEMSIR-Speedo...ateway&sr=8-37

Source: I went down this rabbit hole a few months ago looking for a hud for my other car and it was a huge overhyped and misled market filled with disappointment and broken dreams lol.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

post #4 of 4 Old 02-14-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the steering wheel plug and play and where did people buy it? from a dealer?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode