User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 Old 12-27-2018, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Updated my map today. Thank you!

2018 CX-3 GT in Crystal White Pearl Mica.
Mods
Lowered 2" on Corksport springs
Corksport axle back exhaust
LED rear reflectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Just for information I logged into the Mazda Toolbox Map server and was quoted $138 (US) for a 3 year map update. To me (one who is never going to get a SMARTphone) that price is not terribly onerous. I just thought I'd let everyone know what it is going to cost to do the map update Mazda's way.
ghmpm likes this.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-17-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Just for information I logged into the Mazda Toolbox Map server and was quoted $138 (US) for a 3 year map update. To me (one who is never going to get a SMARTphone) that price is not terribly onerous. I just thought I'd let everyone know what it is going to cost to do the map update Mazda's way.

I hope those owners in CA/USA get better service than those in Europe. When I last checked a week or so ago, there was still no new update - the last one was in May 2018! When my 3 year free updates ends in a few months time, I certainly won't be buying a further subscription.

On the Europe Infotainment page it states :-

3 year map update subscription:

Get the latest map to update your existing map or extend the coverage of your navigation device. Visit back regularly to download all the released map updates during the next 36 months (maximum 2 updates per year) for free and install them to the same navigation device.

183.50 EUR [I make that either Canadian $278 or US $209 or £161]

NB: Maximum 2 updates per year can be interpreted as 0, 1 or 2 by my reckoning so not worth the cost imho

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options

post #14 of 21 Old 01-18-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks, Geezer! This is information I have been wanting. I will not use my smartphone, screen too small and Google Maps has taken me some strange places... YMMV. $138. for 3 years does not sound bad to me either. My Nissan Frontier updates are $149. per YEAR. My wife's CX NAV will expire this month so assuming she does not trade it in I will purchase the update package.
Thanks again.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
post #15 of 21 Old 04-03-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Here is an update: my wife's CX NAV maps expired on January 16 or so. I renewed via the Mazda Toolbox and the price was $135.75 USD. In addition, I figured they would tack the 3 years on the expiration date but no, it started NEW from now!

Just information, $45.00 or so per year is not bad and we DO like the Mazda NAV system.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
post #16 of 21 Old 04-03-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmpm View Post
Here is an update: my wife's CX NAV maps expired on January 16 or so. I renewed via the Mazda Toolbox and the price was $135.75 USD. In addition, I figured they would tack the 3 years on the expiration date but no, it started NEW from now!

Just information, $45.00 or so per year is not bad and we DO like the Mazda NAV system.
Wish those were the prices in Europe. Here we pay approximately US$ 127 for 1yr or US$ 205 for 3 years map update subscription via the Toolbox.

post #17 of 21 Old 05-15-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
To this 67 year guy guy who does have a smartphone $138 for a 3 year map update IS terribly onerous, it's a ripoff. Just buy a new SD card off eBay, a quick search finds them as low as US$40, less than 1/3rd the price of a map update alone, and a new card comes with a 3 year subscription.

I bought my 2016 CX-3 in Sept. 2017, it didn't have a navigation card so I bought one off eBay for under $50. I just did the Dec. 2018 update and it said my subscription was good through Nov. 2020, I'll just buy a new SD card when it expires.

2016 CX-3 Touring AWD, Soul Red
20k miles as of Oct.2017
post #18 of 21 Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInAZ View Post
To this 67 year guy guy who does have a smartphone $138 for a 3 year map update IS terribly onerous, it's a ripoff. Just buy a new SD card off eBay, a quick search finds them as low as US$40, less than 1/3rd the price of a map update alone, and a new card comes with a 3 year subscription.

I bought my 2016 CX-3 in Sept. 2017, it didn't have a navigation card so I bought one off eBay for under $50. I just did the Dec. 2018 update and it said my subscription was good through Nov. 2020, I'll just buy a new SD card when it expires.
I think you'll find that only works the first time round. I've seen those SD cards advertised on eBay with a bold comment that "PROVIDING YOUR CARS VIN NUMBER HAS NOT ALREADY USED THE FREE 3 YEARS PREVIOUSLY". So it seems when your 3 years is up your options are either :-

1) Pay the $40-$50 from an eBay seller and take a chance it will work
2) Pay Mazda their price for 3 year map updates
3) Use an app on a smartphone, with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto if you want to utilise the infotainment screen rather than the phone display
4) Buy a standalone sat nav unit with free map updates at a cost cheaper than Mazda charge for their map updates
DaveInAZ likes this.

Last edited by st3v3cx-3; 05-15-2019 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added a 4th option
post #19 of 21 Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3cx-3 View Post
I think you'll find that only works the first time round. I've seen those SD cards advertised on eBay with a bold comment that "PROVIDING YOUR CARS VIN NUMBER HAS NOT ALREADY USED THE FREE 3 YEARS PREVIOUSLY". So it seems when your 3 years is up your options are either :-

1) Pay the $40-$50 from an eBay seller and take a chance it will work
2) Pay Mazda their price for 3 year map updates
3) Use an app on a smartphone, with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto if you want to utilise the infotainment screen rather than the phone display
4) Buy a standalone sat nav unit with free map updates at a cost cheaper than Mazda charge for their map updates
Ah, good point - I just did the Dec. 2018 update and the Mazda Toolbox app does display your VIN #. To my thinking they should give you the updates when you buy a new SD card, after all those cards can be damaged, but I wouldn't put it past them to say "sorry, you new card isn't eligible for updates for this vehicle/VIN". In that case I may give Android Auto a try. I haven't tried as I'm cheap and don't talk on phone that much so I use Tracfone pre-paid and have to buy data reloads.

But then I wonder how important the updates are? There are new residential roads frequently in suburban developments, but the primary roads you use to get from point A to point B don't change very often. I only did the update because I'm having problems with my LCD display panel and thought there might be a remote change the navigation update might help.

2016 CX-3 Touring AWD, Soul Red
20k miles as of Oct.2017
post #20 of 21 Old 05-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInAZ View Post
Ah, good point - I just did the Dec. 2018 update and the Mazda Toolbox app does display your VIN #. To my thinking they should give you the updates when you buy a new SD card, after all those cards can be damaged, but I wouldn't put it past them to say "sorry, you new card isn't eligible for updates for this vehicle/VIN". In that case I may give Android Auto a try. I haven't tried as I'm cheap and don't talk on phone that much so I use Tracfone pre-paid and have to buy data reloads.

But then I wonder how important the updates are? There are new residential roads frequently in suburban developments, but the primary roads you use to get from point A to point B don't change very often. I only did the update because I'm having problems with my LCD display panel and thought there might be a remote change the navigation update might help.
Providing the SD card can still be recognised by Toolbox, then there is a Restore option that allows the navigation data to be recovered. However, you first need to have made a Backup (it only takes seconds, if that, and must just be merely a flag setting?) and this can be done via the Settings -> Manage -> Backup your device section option within the Toolbox software. I expect you've already done this when carrying out the update process as it does prompt to make a backup prior to actioning the update. The How-To-Guide for Toolbox does say :-

"It is suggested to make a backup in at least the following cases: - right after you acquire your system; - before using Mazda Toolbox to update your navigation software and its content; - after updating your system"

If the SD card is damaged such that Toolbox doesn't recognise it, I would hope Mazda would provide a replacement for free if it had been originally purchased via them.

Regarding the updates themselves, I've found it can take a year or more before even primary road changes are fed into updates. Note that if Mazda USA is anything like Mazda EU then the first 3 years just covers "free map updates for three years". This means nothing really as it is not committing them to a minimum of so many updates a year! When I bought my car back in 2016 then the Mazda UK site did say updates would be 3 times a year. How times change lol. Note that if I were to extend my cover for a further 3 years then according to Mazda UK now this would give me map updates at the rate of a "maximum 2 updates per year". Again, meaningless as it could mean 0, 1 or 2 updates a year by my understanding So I haven't bought a further the 3 years extension at their high price and will just regurgitate my old stand alone Garmin unit with a further update at quarter of the cost.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode