• 1 Post By SlyCoopers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-24-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Amazing light fix. no, seriously.

To jump straight to fix go to next paragraph, otherwise some background. The headlights suck, even IIHS gave them "suck" rating. and the fog lights are all but useless. I know because with just 500 miles on my baby on my way home one night me and Bambi got real friendly and I knew, had my lights not been looking for a dropped contact lens right in front of vehicle I would have seen her. BUT, and its a big butt. they don't. no really i had changed the day i bought her to HID headlights in the 5500 range so they would be nice and bright, that didn't seem to help but now i know why! See I work at Ford and have access to all the machines and can talk to Mazda techs with but a phone call. This lead me to find out that the light on our CX-3 are all HORRIBLY miss aligned. like really, really, really bad, this is why they suck and its super easy to fix, my right headlight was 7 inches too low, that's about 175 feet! DOT has guidelines on height of vehicle and headlight by type and style of headlight, blah blah blah, i did the math and afterwords i used our Inspection certified headlight aiming machine to check and there perfect! you will be stunned at how much better they work once you do this easy fix.

Ok on with it, you need: 2" tape any kind, a tape measure, a phillips screwdriver, a wall with a flat surface leading up to it at least with oh, 4 car lengths long or so. dusk, or night but with flashlight. stubby flat blade, blanket or tarp if you have fogs.

Pull car straight up to wall as close as can get (front tag bracket was about 4" from wall) with headlights on. you will see a very distinct flat edge on the top end of the light on wall. put a foot or so of tape on the wall with the top edge of tape being even with top edge of light, all of the tape should be in the light with both top edges at same spot. do one on each side for each headlight this way.

From the bottom of your front tire in the middle, measure back 25 feet and put a piece of tape there. now back car straight back till front tire it lined up with tape again. your basically just backing the car up exactly 25 feet. now you will see that your top edge of the headlights is way below the tape. pop open the hood and shine a light on the backside of your headlight, there's a whitish/tan round knob looking thing sticking out, its the adjuster, most say to use a phillips screwdriver to go at it from the side and it'll spin the adjuster, but I've found just stick the stubby screwdriver in the end of it and it'll turn. you want to crank them both up till the top edge of light is just touching the BOTTOM of the tape on wall. there used to be different heights for driver and passenger aiming, but with projection, there's a distinct cut off line so its no longer true.

Now if you have fogs, go back to wall and measure down from top of tape and put another piece of tape on each side with top edge of bottom tape 18" below top tape. now crawl under front end, on each side in front is a triangle shaped splash guard underneath that continues up into the wheel well. take 3 screws along edge out then look where it turns up into the wheel well, right at the turn there is one more screw, don't miss this one or you'll bend the guard. Now you can pull it down just enough to see back side of fogs, and another adjuster. Now go up top and throw tarp over headlights so only fogs show and crawl back under and turn adjuster (again i found a stubby flat blade in end works fine, since washer bottle is in way on passenger side) till light top edge lines up with bottom of lower tape. now screw it back together and your done. took me about 30 minutes to do this by myself.

Now go out for a drive. Now lift your chin out of you're lap and close mouth at the insane difference in not only how FAR you can see but all the wonderful side wash you know get from fogs, you'll also notice how low they are also when pulling up behind vehicle as you can now see there tires . They now work wonders in actual fog and you'll see Bambi with plenty of time. also i checked with our aiming machine and there spot on, plus I've NEVER had anyone flash me since it has a perfect cut off line and even with HID's which now look amazing!

BTW, i will do another on installing OEM fogs some time later, its pretty easy actually and after aiming are worth it. Sorry for wall of text on first post.
zbgirl and TiGrayMSM like this.

Soul red 18 Touring CX-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2018, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Brightsordimsor? Lowsorhighsor?

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2018, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Are we talking about oem regular bulb headlights or the GT/led projector headlights? I remember back in 2015(for the 2016 model) they called the non-led headlights on the cx3 almost one of the worst in the industry but the led had better configuration and light pattern.

I would also take caution to doing this casually to the led ones since they (I think all of the ones with led?) have automatic adjusting/leveling units which manually shift it as the car changes angle/incline and may not respond as well as halogen housing to changing the default level and may end up in the car over compensating on automatic adjustments.
Stokers Rule likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Ok to clarify, the low beams with projection non-LED's. yes the LED ones got a good rating and have decent light, but you can still adjust your fogs as they are useless how they come from factory. the halogen projections are poor light and yellow, but aimed right they do ok, better to do HID upgrade (or LED) as also easy, and can get a resistor style so DRL still work with them. yes you will burn bulbs out faster but I've had mine on for over a year and the backup pair i have are collecting dust, had same conversion on my corvette with DRL and they lasted over 7 years.

Soul red 18 Touring CX-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-24-2018, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Replaced her HR-V’s halogen bulbs with LEDs ... massive improvement, 1 1/2 years on, going strong ... highly recommended. CX-3, YMMV.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode