Detour Sensitivity - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-26-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Detour Sensitivity

I have some questions about the “Detour Sensitivity” in the Traffic Settings of the MZD connect navigation.

In The Netherlands we are fortunate to have free real-time traffic information (TMC) broadcasted by some stations on the FM (and DAB) radio.
A motorway was closed due to a traffic accident. The navigation rerouted automatically to my destination over another motorway. So the system works :-)

You can fine tune how it will calculate an alternative route with the Detour Sensitivity setting set in intervals of 5 minutes. But what does this Detour Sensitivity setting actually do? The Navigation System Owners Manual defines two different things:

1) Online traffic information:
The application automatically takes into account the traffic events received. <cut> When the navigation system receives traffic information that may effect your route, the programme will warn you that it is recalculating the route, and navigation will continue with a new route that is optimal considering the most up-to-date traffic conditions. To fine-tune this recalculation, you can set the minimum delay that can trigger a route recalculation, or you can instruct the navigation system to have you confirm the new recommended route before it takes effect. You can do these in Traffic Settings.

2) Detour Sensitivity:
You can select how much time delay on the alternative route you are willing to accept. The alternative route is offered based on the set
time.

1) "you can set the minimum delay that can trigger a route recalculation"
2) "you can select how much time delay on the alternative route you are willing to accept"

These two sentences seems to be in contradiction which each other.
The first is about the original route and the second is about the detour.
Which one is correct?

How “intelligent” is the use of the Online traffic information? When it recommends a detour, does it take into account the total time (including the extra traffic event delays) of the original route and the time of the alternative route?
Will it only suggest a detour if that takes less time (which seems logical)?

• Mazda CX-3 2018 GT-M 2.0 Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-26-2018, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
The way I read it is they are saying :-

1) Set the minimum delay e.g. if you set it to 30 minutes (assuming that is a valid setting) then unless the system using traffic information detects the delay on the current route is > 30 minutes it won't bother to trigger a recalculation. As an owner you might be quite happy to stick to your current route unless the delay is going to be significant in your eyes e.g. > 30 mins

2) Set detour sensitivity e.g. if you set this to 15 minutes then it won't offer an alternative route where it calculates the delay on the new route is > 15 minutes compared to the old route when unaffected by any traffic problems.

So, say on your current route a traffic problem is found which would cause a delay of 45 minutes, it will try a recalculation but only offer a new route which is less than 15 minutes longer than your original route. You wouldn't want to be offered an alternative route taking longer than the original route delay

At least, I think that's how it works but it's darn difficult to explain. I just wish in the UK Mazda had paid out to give owners free access to the TMC system like other manufacturers do or Mazda do in other parts of Europe. I'm not going to pay for the online system they sell to which additional mobile phone fees will be incurred.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
post #3 of 3 Old 06-26-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you for your reaction.
Your explanation would certainly make sense, except that (if I read the manual correct) the “minimum delay” is the same setting as the “Detour Sensitivity”.

In the paragraph “Online traffic information” (quote no. 1) the manual is referring to the “Traffic Settings” in which (both in the manual and in the car itself) there is only one parameter regarding time: the Detour Sensitivity, from where I had copied the explanatory text (quote no. 2).

If the “minimum delay” is indeed the same setting as the “Detour Sensitivity”, then the text in the manual is inconsistent, hence my questions.

• Mazda CX-3 2018 GT-M 2.0 Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Metallic

Last edited by hsdejong; 06-26-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode