• 1 Post By SlyCoopers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is it my keys or car? Wireless locking/unlock doesn't work

Hello,

I want to get some answers before I may need to book my car under warranty (hopefully it's under warranty)

For the last 3 weeks or so, my remote key does not unlock/lock my car anymore, for example when I go to work in the morning. I have to key the manual key out of the remote and unlock it manually.

The funny thing is, when I arrive at work, I can lock the car with the remote key.

I assume it may be something to do with the car battery not activating the sensors in the car for the remote key? Or has my key battery died?

My local key maker charging me $60 to replace the battery but I am not 100% sure it is the battery in my remote key.

Or can I buy a battery and change it myself? Is it easy?

Thanks!

Edit:
I searched youtube video how to open my car keys and it was really easy! I did it myself, but I need to go out and buy a CR2025 battery which is fine.

I have a second key, but that key had a dead battery anyways for some reason. So I'll get 2 x batteries for my key.

If that doesn't work then I know it's the car.

Last edited by Kenji Kenneas; 05-17-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I'm having the exact same issue! Just started a couple days ago. I can't unlock the car wirelessly first thing in the morning, so I have to use the manual key to get in. After unlocking manually, the key fob works fine for all other functions for the rest of the day. I will also change the fob battery and report back.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD, Red/Parchment
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2018, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Oh jeeze I hope your key guy goes out of business for charging people $60 to change a simple battery.. Car wise-I am not sure what year car you have but for my 2016, I have been getting intermittent connection issues with my keyfob recently. Changing the battery fixed it so that was a relief. The consensus I have seen around occasional forum posts is that every 2 years or so it should be changed depending on usage etc and it could last more or die sooner. Just a word of caution on buying replacement batteries, make sure they arent old ones that have been sitting on the shelf for half a decade or something lol. This happened to me prior and I thought my old nissan had electrical problems until I tested the other fob I never used and found the battery I had bought was dead.

A few things I have noticed over time:
-If the keyfob is "warm" it will occasionally work better which explains why it might work when you leave it at work. Keeping in your pocket warms it slightly to just momentarily work as opposed to a morning when the keys have been sitting on a cold counter.

-Dollar store cheap brands are terrible at keeping a charge.

-Take relief in knowing that it is probably not your car because traditionally, if you cant unlock a car with the keyfob and your keyfob is fully functional, your battery might be dead. So because it is turning on you dont have to worry about anything too drastic being wrong.

I can relate to the feeling of dread that arises when something seems wrong with the car and not knowing what it is cause an unnecessary amount of stress and loathing to the brand. Best of all if you are still under warranty, you can always take it in and from the first day of "repair" there is an additional warranty period specifically for the repair job(can only confirm for the US on that though but I believe it there is a similar form of warranty on all repair jobs).
PandaG likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

post #4 of 8 Old 05-18-2018, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys!

Thanks for the replies!

I changed the battery of CR2025 and it works like a treat!!! IT FIXED THE PROBLEM! Very very happy.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2018, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji Kenneas View Post
Hey guys!

Thanks for the replies!

I changed the battery of CR2025 and it works like a treat!!! IT FIXED THE PROBLEM! Very very happy.
And didn't have to spend $60.00!

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-2018, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
JT does a good tutorial for anyone considering changing the fob battery,

Replace key fob battery ? jtonline.info

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry for taking so long to report back, but I did verify that the battery replacement worked in my case, as well. Quick and simple procedure, and the new battery should last another couple years.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD, Red/Parchment
post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2018, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
JT does a good tutorial for anyone considering changing the fob battery,

Replace key fob battery ? jtonline.info

Here's an extract from the Owners Manual for those who like to follow pictures
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mazda CX-3 Replacing key battery per Owners Manual.pdf (49.9 KB, 98 views)

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode