• 1 Post By Dean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-20-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Unhappy SatNav Issues

Having had my CX-3 for a bit over a year now, I wondered if any other owners have had issues with the satellite navigation?

My specific issues are that it struggles to find some addresses, particularly an address with just a house name and no number, and it really struggles to find rural address at all, even finding the centre of a village can be difficult. Having come from a background of using a free standing Garmin, which generally found 99.9% of any address you threw at it, in my opinion the performance of the Mazda system really sucks.

To give an example, I tried to get it to navigate to some friends who live near the centre of Torbay, a biggish UK conglomeration, their house has a name but no number. The SatNav found their postcode and road name, which I selected, it gave no option for a house number or intersection. When I drove to it the SatNav told me I had arrived at my destination about a 1/3 of a mile away from their road, had not known where they lived I would have been completely lost, as there were at least two more turns and differently named roads to navigate before getting to theirs, I would expect it to at least get you to the end of their road.

There have been many similar examples, in each case I have had to resort to Google maps on my smartphone to find the actual destination!

When I complained to the Mazda service centre, they just shrugged their shoulders and said "that is a limitation of the system"!!

In my view it makes it not fit for purpose, and I would add that there is no excuse with current technology for it not to perform much better than this.

I'd be interested in others' views.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2018, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
I live in an area that is always expanding, new communities...etc.

I suppose it's easy to offer "free" updates for 3 years, if updates are rare.

and still no Apple or Android connectivity to use our own updated, useful map application.

Mazda is not winning any new fans in this area.

Many times I think hack or even just a screen mirror using google maps.

zoom-zoom
TiGrayMSM likes this.

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore Stroke: 83.5 91.2 mm (3.29 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2018, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I live in an area that is always expanding, new communities...etc.

I suppose it's easy to offer "free" updates for 3 years, if updates are rare.

and still no Apple or Android connectivity to use our own updated, useful map application.

Mazda is not winning any new fans in this area.

Many times I think hack or even just a screen mirror using google maps.

zoom-zoom
My feelings exactly. The infotainment system was meh in 2015 and is definitely below par in 2018. When I was buying the CX-3, the salesman told me they were working on AA connectivity... right.

I have not had my system updated, so the hack is still a viable option. I don't feel like waiting any longer!

post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I've got the latest maps update already. Does this preclude a hack, and does anyone know how to do that?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2018, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
When I bought my CX3 I had been using a Garmin Nvi with free Lifetime map updates. Garmin updates its maps for customers to download and install twice a year. Mazda has updated twice since Fall 2015 when I bought the car - with the most recent being this week. From now on every map update will be an out of pocket expense. Obviously Mazda is not motivated like Garmin to make sure that customers will have the most recent data to help them navigate with their vehicles. Too bad. Since I steadfastly refuse to put my money on a "Smart" phone, I may just go back to the Garmin once my Mazda map info gets outdated.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2018, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
When I bought my CX3 I had been using a Garmin Nvi with free Lifetime map updates. Garmin updates its maps for customers to download and install twice a year. Mazda has updated twice since Fall 2015 when I bought the car - with the most recent being this week. From now on every map update will be an out of pocket expense. Obviously Mazda is not motivated like Garmin to make sure that customers will have the most recent data to help them navigate with their vehicles. Too bad. Since I steadfastly refuse to put my money on a "Smart" phone, I may just go back to the Garmin once my Mazda map info gets outdated.
I'm surprised you've only had 2 updates in NA since Fall 2015. Here in Europe, since I purchased my CX-3 in Apr 2016 there have been updates available for download on these approx dates Jul 16, Jan 17, Sep 17, Dec 17 & Mar 18. I've only ever received one e-mail from Mazda during that time informing me a new update was available, the other ones I've found out either from routine checking via the Mazda Toolbox software or from other owners. I would think there's a chance of another update before Fall 2018 when your 3 year (?) free update period ends.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options

Tags
maps , navigation , satnav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode