LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-15-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The “my mazda” app

Hi guys,

I wonder who are using the app called “my mazda” ?

What kind of experience do you have with this app, because in the app store it doesn’t tell much about it.
So what kind of info does it give about your car, because you have to upload your registration document.

I wonder if it is the effort to use it / do so......l

Please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-15-2018, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I use it.....when it works, it seems to be crashing alot lately.
It shows details about my CX-3 and it has all the details of past services and bodywork inspections.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-06-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
From a business and android developer perspective the mymazda app is a perfect example of a greedy "bad app" and the only thing missing is in-app purchases for useless things. Its slow, buggy, and is developed with the sole purpose of advertising and data mining a users device which that data is then sold etc etc as it is skillfully written in the terms of service which noone bothers to read anyways since its difficult to understand the terminology half of the time.

Basically it has no real value that is exclusive in a way which you would not be able to find else where. Service reminders and 'coupons' are carefuly crafted advertisements delivered in a manner to try to keep you coming to the same dealer and not go elsewhere or do anything yourself. Most of us are already bombarded with 'deals' and offers to buy back our cars from the dealer almost a week after purchasing it and theres a service setting reminder in the car itself. Service history is saved at whichever place you take it in and can be requested at any time through them, mind you that this app will not have service records from other places and only what the dealer service shop decides to add into the record, think of it like a poorly designed carfax which only tells you what is reported manually in the first place. How often do you need to produce service records anyway except maybe when selling the car and even then having or not having the papers on hand isnt going to make much of a difference unless the car is really old since thats when it really matters for private sellers.

My main irritation with this is the practice of data analytics and collection from our phones. More recently its been ruthlessly identifying users devices as being rooted even if they are not and have a unlocked bootloader which is strange considering theres nothing of value in this app that could be accessed through root access. Usually a red flag that the app has something to hide that it does not want people to find out about such as excessive data collecting beyond allowable limits but masked under the guise of 'security'.

I also monitored the external ip connections the app tried to make when opened and quite a few addresses, outside of what one would presume to be mazda related, were triggered and blocked through an external app I have to block ad/analytics/ and trackers (blokada v3.7 on android 9 and raspberry pi-hole local dns server). All of this also is happening in the background as long as the app is installed if your phone does not have any system level software to block apps from starting/running in the background. At the end of the day, its another way for mazda to try to make money off of its customers by claiming "oh everyone else is doing this why not us". This practice seems ok but those companies which handle your data after mazda have almost no regulation or accountability until a 'random' data breach happens and all of a sudden your 'non-personally identifiable information' is actually identifiable and you get bombarded with spam the rest of your life or at worst case identify theft. Even mazda/every car company is skillfully dumb on matters relating to mobile security at the only thing they care about is to not be in a position where they can be sued even when negligent on software.

Verdict: Unless you REALLY REALLY need to schedule your service through the app (which is not guaranteed since the service shop here will almost always call you and say you need to reschedule if its a busy shop) dont bother, its marketed as a premium (some companies call it concierge service lol) service for mazda owners but theres no real value to it. Everything in the app can be obtained elsewhere with better accuracy.
skyking likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

post #4 of 5 Old 04-09-2019, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
As I've said on another CX-3 site, it is a shame the app doesn't show items that have been replaced under warranty in addition to the servicing information.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
post #5 of 5 Old 04-10-2019, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
This is terrific advice. Excellent breakdown and explanation. Also applies to the "mission" of countless other apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
From a business and android developer perspective the mymazda app is a perfect example of a greedy "bad app" and the only thing missing is in-app purchases for useless things. Its slow, buggy, and is developed with the sole purpose of advertising and data mining a users device which that data is then sold etc etc as it is skillfully written in the terms of service which noone bothers to read anyways since its difficult to understand the terminology half of the time.

Basically it has no real value that is exclusive in a way which you would not be able to find else where. Service reminders and 'coupons' are carefuly crafted advertisements delivered in a manner to try to keep you coming to the same dealer and not go elsewhere or do anything yourself. Most of us are already bombarded with 'deals' and offers to buy back our cars from the dealer almost a week after purchasing it and theres a service setting reminder in the car itself. Service history is saved at whichever place you take it in and can be requested at any time through them, mind you that this app will not have service records from other places and only what the dealer service shop decides to add into the record, think of it like a poorly designed carfax which only tells you what is reported manually in the first place. How often do you need to produce service records anyway except maybe when selling the car and even then having or not having the papers on hand isnt going to make much of a difference unless the car is really old since thats when it really matters for private sellers.

My main irritation with this is the practice of data analytics and collection from our phones. More recently its been ruthlessly identifying users devices as being rooted even if they are not and have a unlocked bootloader which is strange considering theres nothing of value in this app that could be accessed through root access. Usually a red flag that the app has something to hide that it does not want people to find out about such as excessive data collecting beyond allowable limits but masked under the guise of 'security'.

I also monitored the external ip connections the app tried to make when opened and quite a few addresses, outside of what one would presume to be mazda related, were triggered and blocked through an external app I have to block ad/analytics/ and trackers (blokada v3.7 on android 9 and raspberry pi-hole local dns server). All of this also is happening in the background as long as the app is installed if your phone does not have any system level software to block apps from starting/running in the background. At the end of the day, its another way for mazda to try to make money off of its customers by claiming "oh everyone else is doing this why not us". This practice seems ok but those companies which handle your data after mazda have almost no regulation or accountability until a 'random' data breach happens and all of a sudden your 'non-personally identifiable information' is actually identifiable and you get bombarded with spam the rest of your life or at worst case identify theft. Even mazda/every car company is skillfully dumb on matters relating to mobile security at the only thing they care about is to not be in a position where they can be sued even when negligent on software.

Verdict: Unless you REALLY REALLY need to schedule your service through the app (which is not guaranteed since the service shop here will almost always call you and say you need to reschedule if its a busy shop) dont bother, its marketed as a premium (some companies call it concierge service lol) service for mazda owners but theres no real value to it. Everything in the app can be obtained elsewhere with better accuracy.
Turbo100 likes this.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode