2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Advertisements

I cannot help but notice that the "Security Update" and forced password change seemed to coincide with a huge bump in the number of very intrusive ads on this site. I usually access the forum from work where I don't use an ad blocker, and the site has become riddled with ads in the posts themselves, "sponsored posts" that look like real posts but are really links to ads, auto-playing video ads, and a wonderful feature that turns normal text into amazon links that have nothing to do with the original text.
In general I have no problem with ads on a website (you gotta pay the bills somehow). But please, for the sake of all that is good in the world, limit them to side and banner ads. Get rid of the sponsored posts, stop the auto-playing video ads, and stop inserting links into our text. If the problem is that the site is costing too much to run, I am sure there are others on here that would agree that a few bucks for a "premium" account would be worth it to keep the sites lights on.
greaseman85 likes this.

CX-3 GT AWD Dynamic Blue Mica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I must admit, I'm now getting the page failing and reloading and when I open a page it dances about all over the place. I don't know if it's related or not.

One for admin to answer I think.......

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 12 Old 06-21-2016, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
This is why I use an ad blocker and I am not sorry for using it. I have no problems with ads either, as long as they're on the side of the pages, no pop-ups, and not intrusive. Intrusive and annoying ads is what drives people to use ad blockers.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

post #4 of 12 Old 06-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I've actually not noticed a difference. I only have a banner and few ads on the side bar. No pop ups, videos or embedded ads. Same experience across several devices non of which have an ad blocker.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-21-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
greaseman, I use one at home all the time for this very reason. However on my work machine I don't make the rules (well okay, I do since I am the SysAdmin, but not really).

anchorman, I didn't really notice it until the pages started jumping all over, I started scrolling around and found the video that loaded after the first few posts in a thread.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-21-2016, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Strange - I have not noticed any adverts. then again, I usually have this page open at work (yes, I'm naughty - but I need to have a small break once in a while) and we have extreme security measures. I'll check on my *dusty* home laptop later and see what comes up...

'16 Meteor Gray Mica FWD GT
post #7 of 12 Old 06-22-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well maybe I am just crazy afterall because today I no longer see the video and link ads, nor the sponsored posts.... That was very strange...

post #8 of 12 Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
When you see these ads on the site are you logged in? You should not be seeing these ads or videos, if you can provide a screen shot of the ads you are seeing I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much,

~ Glenda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CX3Forum.com - The Biggest Mazda CX-3 Forum!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-23-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX3Admin View Post
When you see these ads on the site are you logged in? You should not be seeing these ads or videos, if you can provide a screen shot of the ads you are seeing I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much,

~ Glenda
Now that you mention it I don't think I was logged in when I saw them. I have since logged in and stayed logged in and have not seen them at all. Is this the intended behavior of the site?
CX3Admin likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 06-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WxFisch View Post
Now that you mention it I don't think I was logged in when I saw them. I have since logged in and stayed logged in and have not seen them at all. Is this the intended behavior of the site?
That is the intended behavior of many forums. When you visit a forum as a guest instead of a member, you're often greeted with a vast increase of advertisements.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode