Posting links... - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By anchorman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-22-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Posting links...

Often times, when helping people, it's useful to add links to replies. This makes it easier to illustrate meanings or intent and also helps users find products.

So, one wonders why posts with links get thrown into the moderation queue? Maybe if there were more moderators to deal with the queue, it wouldn't be so bad.

As it is, it's just a hindrance and makes me wonder what on Earth the owners of this forum are smoking.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-22-2016, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Forum leaders often fear members will link to competing forums or the links are to spam so they are instantly moderated and held. I try to approve threads/posts when I see them and know they are valid.

I don't know of a recourse to change how the site is set, unfortunately.

Apologies for any inconveniences members experience.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-23-2016, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
DJ9999 ... understandable, and your efforts are appreciated. Thank you!

'And Anchorman too!

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-23-2016, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
There was an example a year or so ago when we all had to re join after re setting our log on details. This was because some sad creature locked away in a darkened room had compromised the security of several web sites owned by our owners. It was a mess and it took a while to get it all sorted but thats what happens when these parasitic idiots roam the earth. It isn’t easy for DJ or myself because we end up getting upset members like yourself who wonder why their posts have been annexed. When I looked yesterday, I noticed that one of mine is in there because I had inadvertently posted a link. We have requested (DJ and myself) at least one more mod but so far they have not granted that wish - we don’t make the rules.

If you read the forum rules there is info to explain why they do what they do and them being careful doesn’t mean they are “smoking something” it means they don’t want to be culpable for the loss of members security details. Links, like these damn things that get sent to your phone are capable of some very nasty things even when they look genuine enough from the title. This is cut and pasted form admin;

Hey guys,

I apologize for the lack of contact form us.
We are swamped with many sites, though that is no excuse.

I just want to post here to shed a little more light on the situation, at least as much as we can provide at the moment.

A 3rd party plugin that we and other networks use had it's developers' compromised. Their DB was breached and data was scraped. I can't ID the plugin as it's under legal investigation. However I can say that it had access to user data because it functions separately from the vb software. Many plugins do this, chats, news letters, mobile apps etc. This is not an active breach, however as a precaution we did initiate security updates including password changes and new pass requirements.

Their system was compromised and they grabbed user data for us and thousands of others.
We cleared our part of the breach and went this route to further security.
This is also in place as many members on the internet use the same or similar passwords across all things they use.

Hackers who have access to these accounts, may be able to access other platforms where the same email and/or passwords are used.
Other platforms have been compromised as well, including Twitter, Linkedin etc. We are just trying to get ahead of this, and nip it in the bud as soon as possible.

We cannot go into detail at the moment as it is being dealt with on a legal level.

Though this breech happened in Feb, we were not notified until very recently. We worked hard to find a solution for this mess, and acted on it. Though it may not be ideal in some eyes, it is the best we have access to ATM.
Once the storm settles we may look into other methods for our security, but right now we ask that you be patient with us.

As for us not responding to members, you have to understand our community support team watches over many sites. Luckily this week and last, we have had many members from other teams offer help. With that said all emails sent to our Contact Us email will be dealt with. Granted, it may take a little time for us to get to all of them, but please be patient with us as we are working really hard to catch up and help everyone.

If there are any other questions/concerns/feedback, please feel free to post them here.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,
mainemanx likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"
post #5 of 9 Old 11-23-2016, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Garage
I'm not mad at you two mods because I understand you're doing what you can with your hands tied.

That said, without getting into too many infosec details, this is a crap answer. I've been a member of many different forums (some part of larger back-end organizations like InternetBrands Automotive) and none of them have had issues with malicious links in forum posts. Obnoxious links, sure, but never malicious. Not only that, but why are they still using MD5 hashing for passwords when better, far less crackable alternatives exist? Finally, they shouldn't be taking on the personal responsibility of safe username/password practices for their users.

I feel like VerticalScope are focusing on exactly the wrong things. If they want to avoid losing members to competitor forums they should actually work to, you know, make theirs better. More mods and fewer roadblocks.

Again, not mad at you guys, just pointing out the nonsense where I see it.

-Tim Minchin.

Last edited by NotAPreppie; 11-23-2016 at 03:35 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-23-2016, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Of course, because spammers stuff their posts with multiple hyperlinks, forums & blogs will often be set to automatically delete, or hold for moderation, any post submissions that have more than 'x' hyperlinks in them.

When a forum is moderated by volunteers, there are likely to be periods of the day when the moderation queue goes unchecked. I suppose Vertical Scope could sign-up more moderators, but they wouldn't be able to dictate what times of day they moderate.

09/15 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-23-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Yah, but I'm pretty sure that I only had one link in mine and it was to the product page for Mobil1 0w-20 Advance Fuel Economy.

Still hasn't been approved a day and a half (possibly 2 days) later.

-Tim Minchin.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-23-2016, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
The Scanner we have in place is supposed to be based on post count, not link count. Members with a lower post count will be flagged for links. The limit was not configured so I've corrected it.

Kyle

CX3Forum.com - The Biggest Mazda CX-3 Forum!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-23-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX3Admin View Post
The Scanner we have in place is supposed to be based on post count, not link count. Members with a lower post count will be flagged for links. The limit was not configured so I've corrected it.

Kyle
Thanks for the info and corrective action, Kyle.

-Tim Minchin.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode