CX3, Jeep Renegade and HR-V compared. - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-06-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
CX3, Jeep Renegade and HR-V compared.

CNET has just posted a comparison of the CX3 with the Jeep Renegade and the HR-V. According to this one, the HR-V wins. (No accounting for taste!)

Rivals: Mazda CX-3 vs. Jeep Renegade vs. Honda HR-V - Roadshow

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.

Last edited by Geezer; 07-06-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Well if you like a weird looking, bulky, uninspiring car simply because it has more room, then yes the HR-V wins.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #3 of 11 Old 07-07-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
Well if you like a weird looking, bulky, uninspiring car simply because it has more room, then yes the HR-V wins.
Not to mention the wimpy engine.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

post #4 of 11 Old 07-08-2016, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Not to mention the wimpy engine.

but....but..... that 1/2 inch clearance makes the HRV soooooo much better.

Even if they all enjoyed driving the CX-3 more, they apparently MUST have more space than I need.

I'm not biased , I've actually driven all 3 - I hang out at the CX-3 forum because I bought the best vehicle for me.

Just like the one Geezer bought

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore ◊ Stroke: 83.5 ◊ 91.2 mm (3.29 ◊ 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
This is an interesting review to be sure. They rave about the CX 3, handling and infotainment systems. The strange thing is they did not compare apples to apples. The Jeep and Honda had the AWD option while the CX 3 did not! They say it makes no difference? Then why not test all 3 in FWD? The CX 3 is available with such a sweet AWD system why not wait and use a car equipped like the other 2??? Very weird. Just my 2 cents worth...

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
post #6 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was not the fence to either get the HRV or CX3. I actually wanted the HRV but the CVT scared me. Then I test drove the CX3 and the rest is history. Just wish it had the clearance of the Crosstreck.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-04-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

The latest from Consumers Reports has the CX3 as one of the worst for reliability and the HRV one of the best. This is all speculative at best since both are still in the first year of ownership. They go further in saying that the CX3 is the least reliable car in the Mazda line. Hmmm!

Other than some quirkiness in the auto dimming of the centre display, I haven't had any problems with the vehicle. I'm just wondering where they get their figures from.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
The latest from Consumers Reports has the CX3 as one of the worst for reliability and the HRV one of the best. This is all speculative at best since both are still in the first year of ownership. They go further in saying that the CX3 is the least reliable car in the Mazda line. Hmmm!

Other than some quirkiness in the auto dimming of the centre display, I haven't had any problems with the vehicle. I'm just wondering where they get their figures from.
I used to believe Consumers Reports on everything but no longer give them much credence on cars... They don't give weight to whether a car is fun to drive etc. Plus if Honda or Toyota is on the grill you can take it to the bank that they will LOVE it...

I prefer REAL car reviews, like Car and Driver, Motor Trend or Autoweek etc. Just my two cents.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
post #9 of 11 Old 11-06-2016, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:

Wow. Stating the CX-3 is the least reliable car in the Mazda line is a pretty ballsy declaration based on just one (initial) model year. I wonder what exact reliability problems CR is referring to. Very impulsive conclusion, even for CR. For myself, after two months of ownership I am still very happy with it. The issue with the active display needing to be replaced was not due to a reliability issue, or failure of a component, so I do not count that as a defect against the vehicle. Only one issue: I did get the TPMS light today after a long interstate drive, but tire pressures were all normal. It appears others have had similar false alarms. At least it is not the "loose/missing gas cap" warning light that has appeared in all three Honda's I've owned in the last 15 years.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #10 of 11 Old 11-06-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

While they say the CX3 is predicted to be the least reliable of the new subcompact SUV's they do not put it in the "undesirable" category. The predicted reliability findings are, well, unreliable IMHO. It is the view of CU that new and untested models should be avoided by the savvy buyer. I knew this going in but in this case I thought that the CX3 is such a unique car and unlike anything in the market so I decided to go for it. So I am not really surprised by their rating, but I still think I made a good choice.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode