User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
CX-3 vs HRV

Today we got our first shred of details about the new to market CX-3 and Honda HRV. Details are extremely sparse for now but we'll begin with what we have...

ENGINE

CX3: 2.0L SkyActiv 4 cylinder
HRV: 1.8L Earthdreams 4 cylinder

POWER

CX3: 155 bhp (estimated based on Mazda 2)
HRV: 138 bhp

TORQUE

CX3: 150 ft-lbs (estimated based on Mazda 2)
HRV: 127 ft-lbs

DIMENSIONS (LxWxH in.)

CX3: 168.3 x 67.5 x 61
HRV: 169.1 x 69.7 x 63.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-11-2016, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
So glad I didn't go with HRV. Though I did like the majic seat.
I have noticed alot of mazda CXs running around Victoria but have seen only one HRV around town!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-11-2016, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
The only thing I can say without doubt I like on the HR-V better than the CX-3 is the center console. Not just it is more functional, but it looks better being raised.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2016, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
CX-3 is better looking and better driving, it lacks in usable room. (Fun)
HRV is just more spacious. It lacks in everything else. (Boring)
Cyclone1410 and greaseman85 like this.

2016 CX-3 GT Tech, Soul Red, 35% tints, 3M ClearBra hood strip, autodimming rearview mirror, front + rear dash cam
2016 Mercedes CLA45 AMG, Red, Premium, Premium Plus, 19" AMG upgrade, 35% tints, 3M ClearBra full hood, full front bumper, A pillars, front quarter panels & front/rear dashcams.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2016, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I feel like HRV's biggest competitor is the CRV.

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #6 of 13 Old 05-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
The HR-V should have the Civics 1.5T and the US should receive the attractive LED headlight display found in other markets. Then it would be a contender.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I find Honda, in the North American context, has perpetuated themselves (over the past decade) to be this non-exciting automaker. Who's sole purpose is to create reliable, yet mundane machines for the average consumer that just needs a vehicle to get from point A to B.

Whereas Mazda really markets, and backs up their enthusiast-minded mantra aimed at consumers that want affordable, reliable vehicles that are good looking, and fun to drive. We want a bit more "flair" with our car.

It's a shame because Honda is capable of so much more (JDM / Euro markets' Civic type R), their history with creating fun / performance vehicles: S2000, Integra / RSX...

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2016, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
A coworker of mine just got a HRV EX and I got to drive it. I do think the vehicle is competent, however in styling inside and out, the overall driving experience, and in quality of materials the Mazda is in a totally different league. The HRV is obviously larger, however. I do think I prefer the HRV to the CRV actually.

2016 CX-3 GT - CW
post #9 of 13 Old 05-13-2016, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDAL View Post
I find Honda, in the North American context, has perpetuated themselves (over the past decade) to be this non-exciting automaker. Who's sole purpose is to create reliable, yet mundane machines for the average consumer that just needs a vehicle to get from point A to B.

Whereas Mazda really markets, and backs up their enthusiast-minded mantra aimed at consumers that want affordable, reliable vehicles that are good looking, and fun to drive. We want a bit more "flair" with our car.

It's a shame because Honda is capable of so much more (JDM / Euro markets' Civic type R), their history with creating fun / performance vehicles: S2000, Integra / RSX...

Unfortunately that's where the money is. Honda and Toyota have created this image of "reliable everyday family car", while the image of Mazda is "fun to drive", even though Mazda is just as reliable and good for families. However the majority of people only associate Honda and Toyota with the reliable image, and these companies do aggressive marketing and provide huge discounts which Mazda can't match, so they're outselling Mazda by huge margins.

But hey I love the fact my car is not all over the streets. I would hate to drive a Civic or Corolla for example since everyone and their grandmothers drive one.
st3v3cx-3 likes this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetydosa View Post
A coworker of mine just got a HRV EX and I got to drive it. I do think the vehicle is competent, however in styling inside and out, the overall driving experience, and in quality of materials the Mazda is in a totally different league. The HRV is obviously larger, however. I do think I prefer the HRV to the CRV actually.
While I haven't driven the HR-V, I've sat in them at the auto shows this year. The exterior styling is okay for a Honda, but the interior design looks like something GM would have done in the 80's (and reviewers would have hated it). I am impressed with the amount of space they've carved out of the interior and it's their obvious ace in the hole for this segment. What I can't get on board with is the low seat bottoms. I'm 6'3" and the front seats offer zero thigh support since they're low, flat, and offer no tilt adjustment. I've found the same problem in it's donor, the Fit, so it's not surprising.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode