CX-3 AWD system vs. Subaru - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-14-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
CX-3 AWD system vs. Subaru

Thought I'd share a few very interesting videos regarding Mazda's i-Activ AWD system and how it stacks up against the competition.

In this video the CX-3 takes on the Subaru Crosstrek. Mazda Canada did this demo during CX-3 introduction events for Mazda dealership staff in major cities across the country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGInsxJvlbM

In this video a Mazda engineer provides a great explanation of how Mazda's AWD differs from everyone else's. There's a particularly eye-opening part around the 2:00 mark where a Subaru (Forester, I think) and a CX-5 (identical AWD system as CX-3) attempt to climb a snow-covered hill from a dead stop. FYI: later in the video there are shots of tire-spinning CX-3s, but those were 2wd models they used for comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o8awlEdPdo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CURRENT MAZDAS2016 CX-3 GT - Soul Red / Pure White - 6 speed automatic • 1990 Miata - Mariner Blue - 5 speed manual - collector plates • 2003 B-4000 - 5 speed manual
PREVIOUS MAZDAS2003 Protegé5 Special Edition - 5 speed manual • 1991 Miata - Classic Red - 5 speed manual • 1986 B-2000 - 5 speed manual • 1985 626 - 5 speed manual • 1970 1000 - 2 speed automatic - my 1st car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-14-2017, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
Thought I'd share a few very interesting videos regarding Mazda's i-Activ AWD system and how it stacks up against the competition.

In this video the CX-3 takes on the Subaru Crosstrek. Mazda Canada did this demo during CX-3 introduction events for Mazda dealership staff in major cities across the country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGInsxJvlbM

In this video a Mazda engineer provides a great explanation of how Mazda's AWD differs from everyone else's. There's a particularly eye-opening part around the 2:00 mark where a Subaru (Forester, I think) and a CX-5 (identical AWD system as CX-3) attempt to climb a snow-covered hill from a dead stop. FYI: later in the video there are shots of tire-spinning CX-3s, but those were 2wd models they used for comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o8awlEdPdo

Wasn't just for dealership staff.
I attended in Calgary , it was the beginning of my journey that resulted in the purchase of a CX-3.
Good fun driving new cars on a closed course, waiting for my next invite!!

The demo is interesting indeed, although most of us don't often need to start from a complete stop uphill with our wheels turned.
It highlights what Subaru does with their system and why.

Each system has it pros and cons, so which AWD system do you pick ?

Open to debate, but the rest of the car had me sold and I have AWD that works (and isn't dangerous, other brand names withheld to avoid libel )

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore × Stroke: 83.5 × 91.2 mm (3.29 × 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2017, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
I've seen other videos like the first one, and I've posted them before. Initially I was very impressed by that test too, but then came to realize that is NOT a real world test. Sure we can consider that a weakness of Subaru's AWD system, that it can't get immediate traction on a snowy hill while the wheels are turned all the way. But in real life that situation would never happen.

I can't say anything about Subaru's AWD system as I've never owned one, but it is a renowned system for a reason. Mazda's AWD system is damn good too, it hasn't let me down.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

post #4 of 6 Old 03-15-2017, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
The benefit gained from matching your tires to the conditions is far greater than any difference between AWD systems.

Any special cases like having 2 wheels off the ground, etc are irrelevant as the CX3 has ground clearance and approach angle that are no better than a car, meaning you can't get into those situations anyway (at least without scraping a lot of plastic and metal).
post #5 of 6 Old 03-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Before buying my CX3 I had owned Subarus since 1997 and found the AWD system to be a great feature. It never let me down. The Mazda system, apparently is quite different from Subaru's but in the memorable words of Steve Jobs, "it just works!"

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2017, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Just got the invite for this year.

The 2017 CX-5 and the 2017 MX-5 RF on a closed course.

This should be fun

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore × Stroke: 83.5 × 91.2 mm (3.29 × 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode