5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 Old 03-11-2015, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboy View Post
Lots of people are hoping for a performance model, so they know the demand is there, but I'm not sure about about which engine they would use or if the CX-3 performance model would be profitable while staying in an acceptable price range.

They throw in the CX5 185 hp engine into the CX3 & they got a winner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Jay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboy View Post
Lots of people are hoping for a performance model, so they know the demand is there, but I'm not sure about about which engine they would use or if the CX-3 performance model would be profitable while staying in an acceptable price range.
do want

post #23 of 41 Old 03-31-2015, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThereCX3 View Post
They throw in the CX5 185 hp engine into the CX3 & they got a winner.
Naw. Remember the CX3 is based on the 2 chassis which was designed around the featherweight 1.5 motor. I'm sure it was a bit of a stretch to squeeze in the 2 liter. The 2.5 weighs in at 150lbs over the 2.0. Even if you could make it fit into the available space it would ruin the handling with all that extra weight over the front wheels.

They should force feed the 1.5
The Ford Fiesta ST has a 1.6 turbo that produces 197Hp with 214lbs of torque, Handily out powering the Mazda 2.5 without the weight penalty. The CX3 weighs about the same as the ST so it would have similar excellent speed and handling.
This is one sad point about Mazda losing their Ford tie up. They could sure use that motor. And in the MX5 too.

How about a higher revving, better breathing version of the 2.O, say good for 175 or 180 hp. Sure, that would entail some compromise in fuel economy, but so would any hypo version and it would seem a relatively simple solution. Again a great optional motor for the MX5.

Later Correction; further research indicates weight diff between 2.0 and 2.5 may be less than 100lbs. Sorry bout that.

Last edited by okhick; 03-31-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: incorrect info stated

post #24 of 41 Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
All except the HRV has reliability issues. No way even to consider those. HRV has 138 horses over the CX3 155 horses. CX-3 has great styling as well, so its the only one I would consider.
post #25 of 41 Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 PM

I agree. I considered the HRV for a time but it looks like it is going to be too slow for me. 155hp? I hope so. Is that official? Australian version has been cut to 146 for "better low speed torque characteristics". Bunk. They just did not want it to have a superior pwr/wt ratio to the 2.5 in the CX5 so as not to offend the sensibilities of those spending more.(my opinion) If more low end torque is better than more hp in the CX3 then why not use that tuning for the CX5 and Mazda 3 as well?
This smells like a marketing wonk's trick.

Last edited by okhick; 03-31-2015 at 07:06 PM.
post #26 of 41 Old 04-28-2015, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to contribute. I've been researching several vehicles for my next car and the CX-3 has definitely rocketed to the top of the list. In fact, it unseated my previous top pick, the Subaru XV Crosstrek, rather quickly. And that was before I read about Subaru's frequently reported problem of high oil consumption on their newer engines. That made me drop them altogether despite offering everything else I wanted.

So now my list appears like this:
1. Mazda CX-3 - This one is still king. Appears to offer best value, fuel economy, and fun factor.
2. Honda HR-V - Does offer a bit more in terms of space and utility, but also more *yawn*.
3. Fiat 500X - Recently added to the list, but offers most features that I want.
4. Jeep Renegade - "Jeep! Jeep!" It's a Jeeped-up version of the 500X, for better or worse.
5. Chevrolet Trax/Buick Encore - Actually drove a Trax, but it felt awkward. It's back on the list for now, but barely holding on.

I think the hardest part has been waiting for more information to trickle out on the CX-3 because I'm super eager to drive one. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn everything I can about the ones that are available.
post #27 of 41 Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 PM

Let me make your choice a little harder. Rumor has the next generation Soul will offer awd, much improved fuel economy and power. Korean products are proving to be of good quality and durability improving with each new model introduction. Hope you like it or something else, keeping down floor traffic at the Mazda dealer, making my welcome more likely.

post #28 of 41 Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhick View Post
Let me make your choice a little harder. Rumor has the next generation Soul will offer awd, much improved fuel economy and power. Korean products are proving to be of good quality and durability improving with each new model introduction. Hope you like it or something else, keeping down floor traffic at the Mazda dealer, making my welcome more likely.
Haha! Well unless it's coming out this year, I think we're both going to be waiting to get into a Mazda dealership. I just wish the model from the Detroit Auto Show could have been sat in. It would have answered a lot of my questions about internal space, look, and feel.
CXIII likes this.
post #29 of 41 Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaBouncer View Post
Haha! Well unless it's coming out this year, I think we're both going to be waiting to get into a Mazda dealership. I just wish the model from the Detroit Auto Show could have been sat in. It would have answered a lot of my questions about internal space, look, and feel.
Getting on some contact list for when they finally get one might be your best bet, be it HQ going on a tour from dealer to dealer or your dealer getting what will be theirs.
post #30 of 41 Old 04-28-2015, 09:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXIII View Post
Getting on some contact list for when they finally get one might be your best bet, be it HQ going on a tour from dealer to dealer or your dealer getting what will be theirs.
Thanks! Is that the mailing list that they have for info on their website? Or do I need to find one more specific to a local dealer?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode