Another CX3 Rival Expected - Page 4 - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 Old 03-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Perhaps not a rival to some: bear with me, while I make my case.

We bought our Cx3 in 2015. We're a family of 4, living between the Jura and the Alps, and spend our winter weekends with a roof full of skis and a tiny boot full of stuff.

Now, my girls are teenagers, getting taller, with an army of friends, none are old enough to drive.

Our CX3 is almost 4 years old. My wife does 90% of the driving, (I commute by bike, or scooter). Her must haves were that our car should be smallish, yet sit a little taller than a hatchback, be AWD, AUTO and parking sensors. These requirements and it's pretty looks led us to buy a CX3. It's 5 year warranty expires next year, which is also when the mandatory vehicle examination in Switzerland will be due. We like the CX3 and would be happy to replace it with another.

However, one competitor is...the CX-30 (when it's released). Slightly larger yes. But not as big as a CX5 and ticks all the boxes, including being very pretty (despite the plastic cladding)!

A quick pic I took at its launch in Geneva earlier this month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 07-09-2019, 05:31 AM
Banned

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIAO View Post
However, one competitor is...the CX-30 (when it's released). Slightly larger yes. But not as big as a CX5 and ticks all the boxes, including being very pretty (despite the plastic cladding)!
One problem with trying to classify Mazda crossovers is that they have more models then there are classifications. It does not help when Mazda actually classifies the CX-3 as a compact crossover. With its short wheelbase the CX-3 is more like a sub-compact than a compact. The vehicle itself is comparable to a Mini or Fiat 500 in size and weight but with a larger engine. This makes the CX-3 fairly quick without needing a compressor. Since the CX-3 is actually a sub-compact it is not surprising that a young family like yours will outgrow the vehicle just as your family would any other sub-compact.

When I was young it was common for single guys to have hot cars like Camaros, Mustangs, or GTOs. After they got married and had babies their wives made them trade in their high performance cars for station wagons. Such is life, but be glad your wife will let you get a CX-30 instead of a station wagon or a minivan.

Good luck in your quest for a new car, HIAO.
post #33 of 35 Old 07-09-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray B View Post
One problem with trying to classify Mazda crossovers is that they have more models then there are classifications. It does not help when Mazda actually classifies the CX-3 as a compact crossover. With its short wheelbase the CX-3 is more like a sub-compact than a compact. The vehicle itself is comparable to a Mini or Fiat 500 in size and weight but with a larger engine. This makes the CX-3 fairly quick without needing a compressor. Since the CX-3 is actually a sub-compact it is not surprising that a young family like yours will outgrow the vehicle just as your family would any other sub-compact.

When I was young it was common for single guys to have hot cars like Camaros, Mustangs, or GTOs. After they got married and had babies their wives made them trade in their high performance cars for station wagons. Such is life, but be glad your wife will let you get a CX-30 instead of a station wagon or a minivan.

Good luck in your quest for a new car, HIAO.
That depends on where you live
Here in Europe the CX-3 actually is a compact crossover, like the Renault Captur, Peugeot 2008, Hyundai Kona to mention a few, where as the CX-30 actually moves up to the next class which includes the Renault Kadja, Peugeot 3008, Nissan Qashqai and others.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

My fuel consumption average

post #34 of 35 Old 07-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
Here in Europe the CX-3 actually is a compact crossover [...]
Thanks for contributing to the discussion, santa. Many automotive sources agree with your assessment but I still think there are more models of crossover sport utility vehicles available than there are classes. In the reviews I have read there are mainly three size classifications; sub-compact, compact, and regular. Mazda has more than three models of the CXs; the 3, 5, 7, and 9. Soon they will also have a CX-30. [Rumour has it that Mazda had also developed a CX-1 but it was so small they lost the prototype and had to go with the CX-3.] The CX-3 is just the right size for my wife and I but we can see how a young family might outgrow the vehicle when the children become teens.
post #35 of 35 Old 07-11-2019, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray B View Post
Thanks for contributing to the discussion, santa. Many automotive sources agree with your assessment but I still think there are more models of crossover sport utility vehicles available than there are classes. In the reviews I have read there are mainly three size classifications; sub-compact, compact, and regular. Mazda has more than three models of the CXs; the 3, 5, 7, and 9. Soon they will also have a CX-30. [Rumour has it that Mazda had also developed a CX-1 but it was so small they lost the prototype and had to go with the CX-3.] The CX-3 is just the right size for my wife and I but we can see how a young family might outgrow the vehicle when the children become teens.
I would argue that the CX-3 is a sub-compact (B-segment), CX-30 compact (C-segment) and CX-5 regular (D-segment) and CX-9/CX-8 (the slightle narrower Japanese version of the CX-9) above that.
And Mazda doesn't make a CX-7 anymore but maybe it's coming to bridge the gap bewteen CX-5 and CX-8/9.

And I totally follow you on the CX-3, it fits my wife and me (and our two dogs) but a family with more than one child could easily run out of space in a CX-3.
Though we are used to smaller cars in Europe and many families actually have cars the size of the CX-3 or even Mazda 2 as their only car.
Heck, when I was a child this was the car we had https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Uno and that was for 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) and a dog

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

My fuel consumption average

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode