1Likes
  • 1 Post By anchorman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-21-2016, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Car Care

I've put this post into the general section as it deals with various things on the car.

Petrol Injection Cleaner:
I have added this every 4-6 petrol (gas) fills on previous cars. What I understand it does (maybe incorrectly) is clean wax build up around the injectors. We apparently have a different mix of gas in the winter as we do in the summer. The winter mix is the culprit. I won't be offended (well not much) if you say I'm being silly in adding this additive as long as you tell me why.

Tyre (tire) protectant, shine (call it what you will):
I've previously used the cheap (relatively) spray-on type, alas this doesn't last very long. I've also used a tire gel that is applied with a supplied applicator (a bit longer lasting). I'm interested to hear what you guys (chaps if from UK).

Wheel Cleaner:
I use either the same mix that I wash down the paint work. At other times I use Meguiar's Non Acid Wheel cleaner.

Last edited by Levi3xt; 07-21-2016 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
My opinion on these;

Injector cleaner - good, it does work and I use it on my daughter's cars once a year (mine is diesel).

Tyre shine. I'm lucky in that I have access to professional stuff as my mate is a valeters but the best commercial stuff I've used is Autoglym Tyre Dressing and I put it on with a Meguires tyre sponge.

Wheel cleaner. I've used several types. The acid based tends to be best but I only use it on really bad wheels and get it off quick before it dries. For more normal light cleaning I use any of the pro non acid cleaners. However, I find that cleaning the wheels every week with snow foam and my selection of brushes is good enough with occasional tar remover.

If you haven't got a Daytona wheel brush, they are well worth the investment as you can do the inside of the wheel. Cleaning the wheels is probably the hardest part of cleaning the whole car but also the most rewarding.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #3 of 4 Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice anchorman. I see Daytona has a variety of wheel brushes, which do you suggest?

Funny, I'd been looking at Autoglym Tyre Dressing and had wondered if it would do a good job. I already have a Meguiar's tyre sponge.

I'm not familiar with snow foam.

Do you apply wax to your rims?

I always feel good after cleaning the wheels, like having well polished shoes you might say.

I was always pretty fussy with car care but, for some reason am even more so with the CX-3. I think being on this forum contributes to that as there are "other like minded" owners.

You only have the right of way if the other driver gives it to you

post #4 of 4 Old 07-21-2016, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
This is the wheel brush - not cheap but worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daytona-Spe...na+wheel+brush

I tend to wax the wheels when I change from winter to summer and vice verca. It's a horrible boring job.

Look at snowfoam on YouTube. It's quite satisfying, works well and makes passers by stare.
Cyclone1410 likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode