User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-29-2016, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
scratch on exterior plastic trim

hey everyone just recently scraped the rear right plastic trim against a concrete wall resulting in damage similar to the picture below, except mine was only on the plastic trim and not the paint.

plastic is scuffed and feels rough and has left a grey-ish white mark, but the scratches are not deep.

just wanted to know if something like this could be repaired or would I have to get the plastic trim panels replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paintmedic-car-bumper-scuff-before-scratch-repair.jpg
Views:	5789
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	7354  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2016, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
It's an unpainted surface, so anything you do to it will be visible. The only hope is to try and get the grey color out to make it less noticable. The only thing I can think of would be to try some of that wipe-on plastic restoration stuff. It might bring the black color back to the damaged area well enough to make the damage less noticable if that's all you're looking for.

Personally, it would still bother me even if I got the color restored. I'd just swap out the plastic trim with a new piece. I can't imagine it being too expensive. Certainly less expensive than it would be if there was paint damage.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-31-2016, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Me too and they just pop off.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

post #4 of 9 Old 04-02-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yeah I thought about plastic restoration products and sealants to mask as much of the damage on the plastic, but I know with those types of product it would only last weeks before I would notice the damage again and reapply more product so im probably looking to just replace it.

I did look everywhere to find these plastic panels online, but no one seems to have them, would i have go to a body shop for them to find the part number and order these trims for me?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amunar001 View Post
yeah I thought about plastic restoration products and sealants to mask as much of the damage on the plastic, but I know with those types of product it would only last weeks before I would notice the damage again and reapply more product so im probably looking to just replace it.

I did look everywhere to find these plastic panels online, but no one seems to have them, would i have go to a body shop for them to find the part number and order these trims for me?
I would go to the parts counter at the dealer and just order it. There are little plastic poppers that hold it on but if you get the new one you can see where they fit.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #6 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Same happened to me today. Very upsetting. First thing I did was come here and was pleased to see this post, alveit no real solution other than replacing. thank you. Good forum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scuff trim.jpg
Views:	1544
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	9378  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Redman View Post
Same happened to me today. Very upsetting. First thing I did was come here and was pleased to see this post, alveit no real solution other than replacing. thank you. Good forum.
Ouch! That's a shame Adam but I honestly can't see those being expensive and the are dead easy to fit yourself.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-01-2017, 01:54 AM

How much did it cost in the end? I've just noticed that mine isn't attached properly after getting it back from the paint shop... scratched on the rear piece but what really bothers me is the part on the door sticking out and you can feel it when pressing against it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4740_1501548753146.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	18305  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi all,
I had this happen to me on the second day I owned my second hand 2016, a real kick in the gut feeling. What I did was get my electric shoe polisher with the buffing brush attachment. Because there is residual black shoe polish it buffed out and hid the scratch completely. It has been 4 months with many hand washes and the scratch has not reappeared. Hope this helps.

2016 CX-3 GX Sport Auto AWD Meteor Grey
2011 Honda Fit DXA White
Canada

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode