User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-27-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Scratched Paint - Fixing

Hello everyone,

I have a big scratch on my CX-3, i'm trying to figure out what type of paint does the car have, does anyone know?, i want to fix it but I've heard someone say that is a three-layer paint and i don't know if taking it a normal body shop could fix the issue. My CX-3 is red.

Does someone have experience on repairing a scratch on this car?.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiejuarez View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a big scratch on my CX-3, i'm trying to figure out what type of paint does the car have, does anyone know?, i want to fix it but I've heard someone say that is a three-layer paint and i don't know if taking it a normal body shop could fix the issue. My CX-3 is red.

Does someone have experience on repairing a scratch on this car?.

Thanks!
If it's a deep scratch that's through the primer, you'll need some primer to fill in the scratch. Might even need some body filler (Bondo) before priming if the metal itself is gouged. I suggest the factory touch-up paint for the base color coat. Some will recommend a clear top coat after that, particularly for metallic paints to keep the metal flake from oxidizing. Dupli-color makes universal primer and clearcoat paints that will work. Most will recommend slightly over-filling the chip/scratch with the color coat and then sanding it flat to make the repair as seamless as possible.

To do a proper job on it, you'll need to do a little wet sanding before doing any paint and sanding again after each paint layer to smooth it out followed by rubbing/polishing compound to do the final buffing on it. If you take your time on it and do it right and have good paint to work with, you can have a job that turns out completely seamless. One thing to keep an eye on is the touch up paint itself. I've seen some touch up paints that don't include the metal flake on colors that are supposed to be metallic. Those can be okay if the chip is small enough where it won't be noticeable, but it's unsuitable for larger chips/scratches.

To really do the job well, it takes patience, generally more than I have. Plus I'm gun-shy about taking sandpaper to my paint. I don't trust myself to not screw it up and make it worse than when I started, so I generally just fill in chips with the factory touch-up paint to prevent any rust and call it a day unless it's particularly bad one. On the bad ones, I have a friend that works in a body shop here in Milwaukee that I trust to do all my body & paint work. He doesn't cut me any deals on the work (his shop doesn't allow any side work to be done off the books), but I trust the quality of his work so I go to his place anyway. I used to obsess over doing these when I had my '02 Subaru WRX, but it just ended up taking up too much time because of all the chips in the crappy paint Subaru uses.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-28-2016, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Soul Red is apparently a tri-coat paint job and hence the additional paint cost. You need to use an automotive repair shop that has experience with this and will end up painting adjoining panels to try and blend the repair.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode