9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hella Horn Installation

Hey Friends,
Well decided boost it up a little and upgrade to Hella horns. Very happy with the install / outcome and managed to do it all without taking off the front bumper / grill section thanks to small arms and mad pre-wiring skills . They look and sound great. I ran an active (+) wire directly from the battery terminal and optically isolated the 12v relay. Utilized original horn bracket and bolt to hold 12v relay in place under grill. Below are a few pictures after install as I forgot to shoot pictures along the way.

I do have a spare set of Hella horns if anyone is interested.

Cheers for now
Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v Relay mounted behind grill.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	5154   Click image for larger version

Name:	left Single Hella.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	5162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left and Right Hella.jpg
Views:	1484
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	5170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Grill Hella.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	5178  

Zoom Zoom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-27-2016, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Do they offer their horns in different color options? I'm not sure I like the horn being so visible through the grille. I think I'd prefer black for a more discreet look.

Did you consider something like this at all? Heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYN8F4D_lUo

Last edited by Vipre77; 01-27-2016 at 05:04 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-27-2016, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
The horn's red grill is easily removed and can be painted or plastic-dipped to the dolled your choice. Approximately eight small screws and nuts hold the red grill to the horn body.

Ceramic GT, AWD, 18% Window Tint, Matte Black Enkei Raijin 18x8 with Black Spline Drive Lugs, 225/45R18 Michelin AS3, All Weather Floor/Cargo Mat, Splash Guards, De-Badged Tailgate, Black Plastic-Dip Accents

post #4 of 14 Old 01-27-2016, 11:12 PM

Garage
Hmm.... Now that I think about it, I was thinking about painting the brake calipers red. It's kinda ricey doing that, I know, but I thought it might look alright. The silver color kinda blends in with the factory 16" wheels. Some contrast might be kinda nice. A little red behind the grille maybe wouldn't be so bad if there's some other little splashes of red, too.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-28-2016, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Yes, horn grill can be remove and painted. The other colors they offer are pretty loud as well (Yellow). There is another brand on Amazon that have a white horn grill. For our CX-3 I was thinking of doing splashes of red here and there to spice it up a little. Anyway, I pity the fool who is going to cut me off now lol
MIKEBRAVO likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-16-2016, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
Hmm.... Now that I think about it, I was thinking about painting the brake calipers red. It's kinda ricey doing that, I know, but I thought it might look alright. The silver color kinda blends in with the factory 16" wheels. Some contrast might be kinda nice. A little red behind the grille maybe wouldn't be so bad if there's some other little splashes of red, too.
Hi Vipre77, did you end up painting the calipers red? I've got the black CX3, just got the darkest tint and am dipping the wheels black so I was keen for a dash of red colour through the wheels. Having a close look at the calipers, there seem to be a few exposed wires and moving parts so I thought those would be damaged if they got sprayed. Would love to know your thoughts.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-28-2016, 04:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBrisbane View Post
Hi Vipre77, did you end up painting the calipers red? I've got the black CX3, just got the darkest tint and am dipping the wheels black so I was keen for a dash of red colour through the wheels. Having a close look at the calipers, there seem to be a few exposed wires and moving parts so I thought those would be damaged if they got sprayed. Would love to know your thoughts.
I have not yet. Still too cold and weather too unpredictable here in Wisconsin. Maybe later in the spring when we get some warmer weather and no worries of snow and salty roads.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-28-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri&Mick View Post
Hey Friends,
Well decided boost it up a little and upgrade to Hella horns. Very happy with the install / outcome and managed to do it all without taking off the front bumper / grill section thanks to small arms and mad pre-wiring skills . They look and sound great. I ran an active (+) wire directly from the battery terminal and optically isolated the 12v relay. Utilized original horn bracket and bolt to hold 12v relay in place under grill. Below are a few pictures after install as I forgot to shoot pictures along the way.

I do have a spare set of Hella horns if anyone is interested.

Cheers for now
Mick
Mick,
I want to install some RED Hella horns on my 2017 CX-3. I was thinking I could just remove the panel where the hood latch is located. The flat panel between the radiator and the metal beam where the original horn is mounted. That is how I installed the Hellas on my 2013 Juke. How did you access the area of the original horn's location?
Any suggestions or help or pointers you'll like to share with me? Removing the front bumper is an expensive proposition.
Thanks
post #9 of 14 Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Hey, Sorry for the delay getting back to you here. I was able to prep both Hella horns on my bench first and gain access for mounting from underneath the splitter (My arm was able to just fit) as well as through the front of the grill....FYI I didn't remove the front bumper or the flat panel near bonnet latch. I have an extension bar for my sockets that came in really handy.

Prepping is the key here for this to work. It did take a little longer this way but is well worth it. We live in LA and my girlfriend uses it everyday i kid you not. They are directional and awesome, so much louder than the stock and still look amazing. I ran a separate (+) positive wire from my battery to be on the safe side.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers
Mick
mainemanx likes this.

Zoom Zoom
post #10 of 14 Old 01-08-2017, 10:52 PM

Thumbs up Hella Horns

Mick,
Thanks for the information on the install of the horns. After receiving your suggestions I went out to my CX-3 and tried my hand under the splitter, (hand and arm fit fine), but my hand & arm seemed to be too large for the front of the grill.
Did you mount both Hellas where the original horn was mounted, or did you split them and mount one horn on each end of the grill? I also have a large selection of socket wrench extensions that will reach in fine.
If I'm unsuccessful in mounting the Hellas using your method, I have a backup, alternate plan for installation. I'll post my back up plan in this forum section if that's what I end up doing.
If you can post any photos it would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
PCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri&Mick View Post
Hey, Sorry for the delay getting back to you here. I was able to prep both Hella horns on my bench first and gain access for mounting from underneath the splitter (My arm was able to just fit) as well as through the front of the grill....FYI I didn't remove the front bumper or the flat panel near bonnet latch. I have an extension bar for my sockets that came in really handy.

Prepping is the key here for this to work. It did take a little longer this way but is well worth it. We live in LA and my girlfriend uses it everyday i kid you not. They are directional and awesome, so much louder than the stock and still look amazing. I ran a separate (+) positive wire from my battery to be on the safe side.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers
Mick

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode