1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vipre77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Windscreen wipers stuck in ice

Now I have used the car in cold temperatures for a week and I have been annoyed that the windscreen lower part is not heated. Defroster on high speed is not enough to heat the windscreen lower part sufficiently, to prevent ice buildup on the windshield wipers. If I don't run the defroster on maximum, the windscreen wipers will be stuck in the ice.
I have never experienced such a bad design.

Is there anyone else who lives in the cold, and have experienced the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm, well some manufacturers do put a heated element in the glass where the wipers park for cold climates but it certainly doesn’t exist in the CX-3 portfolio as yet.

This kit is for a Land Rover but it consists of a heater element that might be adaptable;

http://www.paddockspares.com/defende...lr-switch.html

This is another option.......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APA-Windscre...ted+windscreen

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just put up my wipers if it's snowing or snow/ice is expected so they don't get frozen to the windshield. Seems like a simple solution.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 08:30 PM

During the Winter when it is constantly below freezing, I make sure to turn off the auto wipers so that when you start the car they don't come on automatically and try to wipe.

It also prevents an avalanche if the car is covered in snow and you have the door/window open while starting.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
If I'm not mistaken, I think he needs a solution to prevent ice from freezing the wiper to the windscreen while motoring down the road. I've had that happen on a number of my previous vehicles when getting heavy sleet or in extreme cold after using the washer fluid. If you have freezing rain, slushy sleet, or very wet heavy snow, the wipers can build up a pile of ice, slush, or snow between the bottom of the wiper and the hood/bonnet. After a while in very cold conditions and if you get enough build-up, the wiper can get stuck. I've had instances where the rubber blade itself freezes to the glass and where the whole wiper arm gets lodged in the pile of crud that built-up and is frozen in place. The only car I've ever had with heated wipers (actually heated windscreen where the wipers parked) was my wife's 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium. Most other cars I've driven have this same problem. The wiper defroster feature doesn't seem to be common on vehicles under $30K sold in the US. It's unfortunate, because it's nice feature here in the colder northern states. I'm not aware of anyone that can retrofit this option either as the heater element is part of the windscreen. You'd have to replace the whole windscreen and then run wiring to power it and install a switch somewhere to turn it on/off unless you somehow rigged it to always be on when the defroster setting is on in the HVAC controls.

Hmm.... I wonder if it would be possible to make some kind of heater element that you could adhere to the windscreen via some kind of adhesive or resin and then run the requisite wiring in through the seal around the glass?
Bosse likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
while motoring down the road.
Ah gotcha - that makes more sense! I haven't had that happen yet when driving while it's snowing.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
The Land Rover one is ready made.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 PM

Although the CX3 does not have a windshield defroster per say, most people here in Toronto either put their wipers up before they leave the car or use one of those windshield covers that secures in place by closing the tabs inside the front doors.

It covers the whole windshield and is flexible enough to just peel away braking the frozen ice on top. Only downside is that you have to store this thing in the back and it might be wet.

Another option I've seen people using are those defroster solutions in a bottle. Rain-X/Prestone makes it and you just spray on and it dissolves the ice similar to what they use on planes. I've seen people say that it leaves a gel like blob on your windshield but it reduces the time to clear your windshield before you're on your way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode