5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-22-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Towbar

After several months of happy ownership I started using the genuine Mazda towbar that was fitted when we bought the car. Hooked up the trailer, plugged it into the floating harness that resides with the spare tyre, checked the lights, and proceeded to go about my business. Problem came when I put the car in reverse and the sensors went nuts telling me there was something behind my car.

Given that I have had a number of other cars with rear sensors and a towbar, this was obviously a fault. The other cars sense the connection of the taillight circuit and then disable the sensors.

Anyway went off to the dealer today and was told I need to buy another part (harness and switch) and pay to have it fitted. The end result, according to the Service Manager, will be a switch located in the boot (trunk) area which I will have to manually switch each time I connect the trailer. First World problem I know, however it seems a bit daft for a company that promotes innovation to resort to such a basic solution, assuming that the service person is correct.

My question is for those who have a towbar on their CX-3. Do your rear sensors turn off when the trailer is connected or do they drive you mad as well when you reverse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-22-2015, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I know that the genuine RAV4 wiring kits have a switch in the trunk.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 13 Old 12-23-2015, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I read in the manual that if you are pulling a trailer, or have added an accessory such as a bicycle carrier. Then you have to turn of the RCTA system (Rear Cross Traffic Alert), as it wont operate properly!

Mazda CX-3 2016 Optimum 150hp petrol AWD Automatic transmission with Deep Crystal Blue colour

post #4 of 13 Old 12-27-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
I know that the genuine RAV4 wiring kits have a switch in the trunk.
As a follow-up, I have now spoken to Mazda Australia (Christmas Eve) and it seems the integration of the rear parking sensors with the tow bar (hitch) is automatic and hence seamless in operation. This is achieved by the integration of the separate special harness part which was omitted when mine was fitted before delivery. I was also informed that it is meant to be included with the tow bar kit so for any Aussie buyers who have a towbar please check that the sensors silence themselves when a trailer is connected and, if not, head back to your dealer.
Harry07, anchorman and Kebabs like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Did you end up showing the email to your dealership to get that sensor silencer kit?
post #6 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabs View Post
Did you end up showing the email to your dealership to get that sensor silencer kit?
Mazda Australia rang the dealership on my behalf and informed them that it was part of the kit and it should have been fitted prior to delivery. When I went to have it fitted I was met will an apology for asking me to pay in the earlier visit. It took about 1.5 hours to fit and it automatically shuts off the sensors when the trailer is plugged into the car.

Last edited by Cyclone1410; 12-30-2015 at 10:24 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone1410 View Post
As a follow-up, I have now spoken to Mazda Australia (Christmas Eve) and it seems the integration of the rear parking sensors with the tow bar (hitch) is automatic and hence seamless in operation. This is achieved by the integration of the separate special harness part which was omitted when mine was fitted before delivery. I was also informed that it is meant to be included with the tow bar kit so for any Aussie buyers who have a towbar please check that the sensors silence themselves when a trailer is connected and, if not, head back to your dealer.
I'm in exactly the same predicament. Picked up a new CX-3 just two weeks ago and had the dealer fit a tow bar. When I hitched up a trailer for the first time on the weekend I discovered the parking sensors go mad every time I put it in reverse just the same.

Do you by chance have any record of who you spoke to at Mazda Australia? I spoke to my dealer a couple of days ago and they are in denial that any such patch exists and that 'this vehicle was not designed for towing so it probably wasn't deemed necessary'. Bullshit.

After that I gave Mazda Australia a call and they best they could do was to 'record my complaint and notify me if anything changes'. General consensus with the guy I spoke to also appeared to be that no functionality exists to disable the sensors.

I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow so they can 'check it's been wired up correctly'. Obviously they, and the guy at Mazda Australia are misinformed if you indeed have the kit fitted so I'm trying to gather as much ammunition as possible prior to this in an effort to get the issue resolved. I'm also going to show them this thread and see if anything changes.

I can't believe it's so easy for them to overlook this piece of kit, obviously not just on my installation. Also can't believe the fact the dealership and guy at Mazda think it's an okay issue to deal with and just something I have to live with. As somebody that tows almost every second day it's driving me mad. If I can't get it resolved I've already decided I'm going to have to pull the fuse on the sensors
post #8 of 13 Old 07-12-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have the part number somewhere, so I will chase it up and get back to you. I originally sent Mazda Australia an email via the Contact area on their website. Anyway I will chase down the paper work and let you know.

Good Grammar is not a time of waste.

CX-3 Petrol
post #9 of 13 Old 07-12-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone1410 View Post
I have the part number somewhere, so I will chase it up and get back to you. I originally sent Mazda Australia an email via the Contact area on their website. Anyway I will chase down the paper work and let you know.
Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look tonight. Unfortunately don't have the part number however it says it is a harness that costs $40.50 ex Melbourne plus fitting. I thought I had jotted down the Mazda Australia guy's name but can't find that either. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Good Grammar is not a time of waste.

CX-3 Petrol
post #10 of 13 Old 07-13-2016, 10:27 AM

Thanks for your assistance on the matter! I'm almost at a resolution with Mazda

Took my CX-3 to the service department at my dealer early this morning and explained the issue once again.

I returned this afternoon without receiving so much as a phone call (a good sign or so I believed...) only to be told 'there was nothing that they could do'. The customer service rep who I had been dealing with explained they had come to the conclusion 'no such patch exists for the CX-3' and that the service techs had torn down the back of the vehicle (a nightmare in itself) to have a look at the parking sensors and that 'there isn't even a connector for a patch lead to be fitted'. The only comment made when I produced a transcript of this forum is that 'on other sites there is info stating no such patch exists' hence there is evidence for both sides.

I politely asked if there was anyone at Mazda Australia they could speak to - referencing that's what it took previously for the issue above to be resolved - and was told the only way I would get anything done about it was if I called them myself. Taking matters in to my own hands (again) I gave Mazda Australia another call from the parking lot of the service department, and explained I'd spoken to them on a previous occasion but really needed to speak to someone who knew what they were talking about. I spoke to a lovely girl named Briony and after some time on hold she confirmed that I was correct and that the patch does in fact exist (well, duh?). She wouldn't give me a part number (was told she couldn't) but at my request gave the dealership a call to explain

Ten minutes later I was able to walk back into the service department and see that they were ordering the part for my vehicle. Not one hint of an apology, but I was simply told 'it's a part they've never seen before' and that it should be in before the end of the week. When I head back I'll see if I can grab a part number to assist anyone that might be in the same situation but no promises as they appear to be very protective of these numbers.

Can't believe the dismal level of service I have received first at the initial fitting, from the dealership & the first time I spoke to Mazda Australia. Glad to be on the way to having this all resolved but at the end I'm going to be sending Mazda Australia a really disappointed message explaining what a waste of time and hassle this has been. I expected more on a new car from a top tier manufacturer
Tomkat likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode