LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-01-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Fit Rear Mudflaps

OK, these are a bit more complicated than the fronts I posted but still within the means of a reasonably competent DIY person. The instructions at the end of this post show the mudflats being fitted with the wheel on which might be possible but I can assure you it will be easier with it off. Print the instructions then follow them along with these photos. NOTE; the instructions show the left of the car but my photos are from the right side. Remove the bolts and clips as shown in illustration 1. The nut with the arrow at the top of the illustration is towards the inside of the car and is holding the plastic to the fluffy wheel arch liner. It just unscrews with your fingers;

Illustration 2 is just the bolt underneath;

The shaded part in illustration 3 shows the fender around the wheel arch. You just hook it up with your fingers and carefully pull. You only need the bottom 2 clips out. It will give you access to another stud which is shown in illustration 4 and this photo;

If you push those two clips arrowed, you can remove that plastic section which will allow it to come off. It is effectively the lower part of the wheel arch liner - quite a big piece. When you turn it over, it is already marked for you to cut out the part and make the hole shown in illustration 5.

This is the section you need to snip out;

......and this is the hole you need to open out;

Slide the captive nut onto the middle hole as shown in illustration 6 like this;

Replace the plastic liner as shown in illustration 7 making sure that the little clips are hooked on as arrowed and then pop that stud back in behind the fender. When its back it looks like this;

OK, now click that fender back as shown in illustration 8 and put the inner bolt back as shown in illustration 9. Fit the plastic nut, clips and bolts back as in illustration 10 then you can fit the mudflap proper. Pop the clip in as shown in 11, and loosely screw in the bolts in 12. Push the mudflap up tight to the body while you finally nip them up. Remember they only go into plastic nuts so donít go mad.

Like the fronts, they fit perfectly;

These instructions will seem a bit confusing - they did to me, but if you start, it will all make sense! Here are the pdf instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CX3 Rear Mudflaps.pdf (506.8 KB, 652 views)

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Another great write-up by the Anchorman!

If I may, a few more suggestions:

1. Before you begin, take two doses of patience ... in either liquid or tablet form.

2. Review both the "Official Instructions" and Anchorman's Tips

3. Print out both the Instructions and the Tips, and after removing the wheel, and setting-up appropriate lighting so you can actually see up into the wheel well, again go through the Tips and Instructions, trying to locate everything you will be removing.

4. Now, following the Tips and Instructions, slowly remove the fasteners, etc. ... paying particular attention as to how the inner liner fits into everything.

5. Snip out the marked-off section ... second time I made the opening a bit larger than pre-scribed ... to ensure there was no interference.

6. Next, punch out the indicated hole ... then drill it out to the prescribed size ... for Colonists like me, a 5/16" bit = 7.9375 mm. Close enough! I first used a 15/64ths, then the 5/16ths.

7. Assuming the patience hasn't worn off, carefully reassemble ...
Note: The "other side" is significantly easier than "this side"
DJ9999 and Levi3xt like this.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-09-2016, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
It took me maybe 45 minutes to install the first one after abandoning the paper instructions and seeking guidance from Anchorman's directions. The secret is finding the magical hidden fastener. After that it was only maybe ten minutes to install the second flap. And yes, good lighting is key.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnghrnCX3 View Post
It took me maybe 45 minutes to install the first one after abandoning the paper instructions and seeking guidance from Anchorman's directions. The secret is finding the magical hidden fastener. After that it was only maybe ten minutes to install the second flap. And yes, good lighting is key.
Whoa! LnghrnCX3 is Fast! ... not Half Fast like me

post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-2016, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Do the mudflaps help keep its poor little rear-end clean -- significantly? I hear that it's a major mud/dirt collection spot.

Please note that I still don't own this car, but am supposed to order it in the next few weeks and will likely try to get things like mudflaps, a bra for the front end, different/no arm-rest, clear coat done at the dealership, etc. Hence my weird questions.

Also, feel free to make fun of me for getting the front-end bra thing. But I don't know how else to save the pain from the repeated pummelings the car will take when I park on the streets of Philadelphia.

2017 CX-3 Touring (Soul Red)
Hobby1: Begging Mazda to make CX-3 w/ manual transmission in USA.
Hobby2: Accepting failure.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Do the mudflaps help keep its poor little rear-end clean -- significantly? I hear that it's a major mud/dirt collection spot.

Please note that I still don't own this car, but am supposed to order it in the next few weeks and will likely try to get things like mudflaps, a bra for the front end, different/no arm-rest, clear coat done at the dealership, etc. Hence my weird questions.

Also, feel free to make fun of me for getting the front-end bra thing. But I don't know how else to save the pain from the repeated pummelings the car will take when I park on the streets of Philadelphia.
I'd say no ... the stone guards/uhhh, mudflaps, "protect" the area below, immediately behind the wheels. The naughty rear-end is more a matter of the so-called Kamm effect where the wind eddies up behind, depositing dirt, dust, and corruption all over.

Dealer gave me a good deal on PPF, Paint Protection Film for the front ... clear film that reduces the road rash on the hood, fenders, etc. I've found the tie-on bras oftentimes cause more problems than they solve.

None of these are gonna' help parking on the streets 'though.

'And your questions aren't weird at all ... go ahead and order your CX-3 ... the issures you raise are the same on any car you buy ... but the CX-3 will be more fun (and draw more admirers) than anything else in its class.

As always, all IMHO.
Sarah likes this.

Last edited by mainemanx; 10-11-2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Typo ...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode