LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 11-15-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Car Wash Woes.

These arenít photos of a CX-3, they are of a Toyota Aygo that Iíve done a few jobs on this week. However, the circumstances do apply - you can cause quite a lot of damage to your paintwork by not looking after it properly. The most obvious culprit is a car wash, no matter how soft they claim the brushes to be. This is a photo of the car. Nothing to obvious as with most cars.

Look a little closer and you will see the damage - especially in artificial or strong sunlight;

After some time with a rotary polisher, the paint starts to restore;

.......until eventually you get back to the original deep shine;

The moral of the story is (and appreciate that this is not always possible for those with no off road parking), rinse your car off and remove as much road dirt as possible without any contact. Wash your car frequently using plenty of car shampoo (not washing up liquid which will immediately de-wax it). Polish the car at least once a year. Ultimate polish from Meguireís is cheap in Walmart. While you are there, get some wax like Meguireís Gold Class. Polishing will restore the shine. Waxing 2 or 3 times a year will add a protective layer. Its easier to maintain a shine from new and keep it that way;

I could go on about ďdetailingĒ but for most itís just a practical matter of looking after your investment.
riosx2013, Dave, ohgeez and 2 others like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-15-2015, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Anchorman, what's your opinion on tire shine? Most contain silicone. My local car wash applies it. It looks great, but i'm worried about it causing cracking in the side walls and premature deterioration.
post #3 of 44 Old 11-15-2015, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Anchorman... What is the best way to remove all previously applied products and get to a untreated paint surface before detailing? If you polish the car with a rotary machine does that remove any previous applied glaze/wax? After getting the old wax off, I've always believed the proper detailing process is wash, clay bar, polish, glaze then wax. Your thoughts please.

post #4 of 44 Old 11-15-2015, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I havent used a drive-thru car wash yet, mainly due to the fear of minor paint damage. I use the self wash ones (which have their own issues if you're unlucky) and so far haven't had noticeable issues. Few things I do to be safe is spray water against wall (or ground, just not vehicle) for awhile before using on vehicle. Don't apply soap brush to vehicle directly, instead use microfibre towel with said soap to apply on vehicle, takes more time, and it'll end up costing you more money (If at a self wash station).

For tire shine, I use Back to Black by Mothers, and it hasn't done anything wrong yet, and I know friends who use it as well and haven't made a complaint towards it causing damage.

For everything else i use Simoniz products, which have been good to me as well.
riosx2013 likes this.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #5 of 44 Old 11-15-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Anchorman, what's your opinion on tire shine? Most contain silicone. My local car wash applies it. It looks great, but i'm worried about it causing cracking in the side walls and premature deterioration.
Iím not aware that tire treatments can accelerate wall cracking. Over here in the UK, you are supposed to change tyres after 10 years from their manufacturing date which is shown as a week and year number on the sidewall. You can see it here as 2415 (week 24 year 2015) in the raised panel;

The stuff I use is mainly Autoglym which is clearly silicone based white liquid applied with a sponge applicator. I bought Meguires tire shine last time I was over which appears more oily. You guys are so lucky as you can pay peanuts in Walmart for what we pay a fortune for. I use one os those sill brushes from Target or Walmart that are about 18inches long and always wash the tires at the same time as washing the wheels. I think that helps keep them in good order and obviously, so does not rubbing the curb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLyveWyre View Post
Anchorman... What is the best way to remove all previously applied products and get to a untreated paint surface before detailing? If you polish the car with a rotary machine does that remove any previous applied glaze/wax? After getting the old wax off, I've always believed the proper detailing process is wash, clay bar, polish, glaze then wax. Your thoughts please.
Yes, more or less as you say. I use a professional pressure washer to first wet the car then remove the course dirt. I mostly use snowfoam to wash the car but sometimes use a bucket with car shampoo;

Washing the wheels is the most time consuming and I use that brush from target for the tires and the outside of the wheel then a Daytona Speedmaster for the spokes and as much of the inside as possible. Next I wash inside the door shuts and the sills. If I decide to do some detailing, I start with tar remover. You need to get down to ground level and feel the body with the flat of your hand. There is an amazing amount of debris sticking to most cars. Clean the panel off with tar remover then move on to clay and lots of detailing spray. This is just the hood of my almost new CX-3;

Wipe it off with a clean microfibre then feel the surface. Not quite sexual but rather nice nevertheless. Next is the polishing. There are many polishes available and I use Meguires because I stock up when Iím visiting Florida in June! They do compound which is supposed to be courser as well but I canít tell any difference.

Next I wax the paint. Again I use Meguires but the purists will use a hard wax like Collinite. I will be getting some soon. It is a very hard process using hard wax and must not be allowed to fully dry or it is like stucco to get off. Hard wax is also expensive and $600 is not out of the way.

Getting a car back to square one can be a bit overwhelming but I recommend doing one or two panels every time you wash then it doesnít become too much of a chore. The effect on the finish and colour is astonishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiikkeyyRSRB91 View Post
I havent used a drive-thru car wash yet, mainly due to the fear of minor paint damage. I use the self wash ones (which have their own issues if you're unlucky) and so far haven't had noticeable issues. Few things I do to be safe is spray water against wall (or ground, just not vehicle) for awhile before using on vehicle. Don't apply soap brush to vehicle directly, instead use microfibre towel with said soap to apply on vehicle, takes more time, and it'll end up costing you more money (If at a self wash station).

For tire shine, I use Back to Black by Mothers, and it hasn't done anything wrong yet, and I know friends who use it as well and haven't made a complaint towards it causing damage.

For everything else i use Simoniz products, which have been good to me as well.
Itís funny because I always go right past Simoniz because they are seen as budget products here but I must have a better look next time I raid Walmart. I do rate Mothers products. Griots garage products are very good. AutoZone usually have a stand and they sell the best value clay in a tub for $19:99.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #6 of 44 Old 11-16-2015, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I haven't thought of this so much. I suppose I would put a protector on to begin with and then just wash it by hand when the weather isn't too cold.
post #7 of 44 Old 11-16-2015, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
What about touchless car wash? Would that damage the car?
post #8 of 44 Old 11-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
So jealous of your setup, anchorman. I live in a condo without any hand wash capability. I was using the wash stall in my friends condo garage but he recently sold his condo I will only do a hand wash.

I've realized I need to add some wax and sealants to the CX3 as soon as possible. This round of nasty weather has shown the vulnerability of the finish from the factory.
post #9 of 44 Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabs View Post
What about touchless car wash? Would that damage the car?
I've never got a good result without contact washing. Even snowfoam and a professional pressure washer still needs finishing by hand. Providing the kit is clean, the paint won't get damaged. This was my RAV4 at 3 years old.

The paint won't get damaged providing it is the original from the factory but if any body repairs have been done, it might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9999 View Post
So jealous of your setup, anchorman. I live in a condo without any hand wash capability. I was using the wash stall in my friends condo garage but he recently sold his condo I will only do a hand wash.

I've realized I need to add some wax and sealants to the CX3 as soon as possible. This round of nasty weather has shown the vulnerability of the finish from the factory.
Yes, I know it can be awkward. I would look for a hand car wash and just have a look to see that they keep changing the water and nothing gets dropped on the ground. If you intend using wax and sealant, the sealant goes first.

post #10 of 44 Old 11-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Yes, I know it can be awkward. I would look for a hand car wash and just have a look to see that they keep changing the water and nothing gets dropped on the ground. If you intend using wax and sealant, the sealant goes first.
No one ever touches my paint but me! I'm currently reaching out to friends. All I need is access to a water spigot. I have a suite of Griots products to provide all the TLC my car needs - after I get the water source lol.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode