• 2 Post By MiikkeyyRSRB91

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
HID Conversion

I know this was brought up in another thread some time ago, but I don't want to be that guy reviving old threads :/ Unless that's ok, which in that case a merge is in order? IDK..

Anyways, I have 6k HIDs that I put in, replacing the halogens. I want to know, before I start spending unnecessary money, if I need relay harness' or capacitors? As of right now, sometimes 1 of the bulbs won't turn on, and the sometimes flicker when they turn on, which is not right.

I know from the other thread that @RAMPANT did a similar job, but made no mention of any extra wiring (unless his/her kit came with the harness'). My kit I bought had the 2 bulbs, and 2 ballasts, nothing else. But if RAMPANT or anyone else who has done these didn't need these extras, did I install the lights poorly? Bad ballast or bulb?

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2015, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
@MiikkeyyRSRB91 I have definitely looked into, Sadly I haven't done them yet. However from the flickering issue I am thinking it is a ballast issue. I have done a lot of reading and I think you will need to get "Canbus" ballasts. I bought a kit before with my old car and it did come with a full wire harness that would clip into the regular plug ends, All I had to do was hook the inline fuse up to the positive terminal. I hope this helps. I will probably doing both my DRL and my high beams in the next couple of months. If I find anymore info I will let you know.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-02-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, I might just put the halogens back in then for now. Another thing is, you mention doing your DRL's and high beams, is it normal to not have high beams available when doing this conversion? I seem to have just one mode, which are the DRL's, if that makes sense. Also would changes the fuses to higher amperage ones help, maybe eliminating the need for harness'?

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom

post #4 of 7 Old 11-03-2015, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I was hoping to do my Highbeam so i can keep the color consistent. Maybe they don't make them. I will have to look into. Not sure if the fuses would eliminate it. I have always been told the Ballasts will elminate any flickering or error codes from happening
post #5 of 7 Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So my lights weren't working right as mentioned before, and turns out one of the bulbs wasn't getting enough power to it and just shut off. Turns out I didn't have a much needed DRL Relay Harness, since Canadians run drl's and Americans don't, and it's need to trick the system (that usually decreases voltage for drl's) into providing the right amount to power. I took some paint of the ground spots (just to be safe I suppose) and added the harness, and now my lights are working as they should.

Im assuming for americans and whoever else don't have drl's, the standard kit should work fine, but anyone with drl's, the proper fix is getting the DRL Relay Harness.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #6 of 7 Old 11-15-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry for double post, not seeing edit, perhaps it's been awhile since post was made and can no longer be edited?

Anyways, thought I'd share a few images of where I mounted the ballasts and harnesses to get the HID's running. The ballasts were placed underneath the little flap off to the sides of the engine bay, with most of the wiring, with it being bolted in between the fender and inner body. (where the bolt is off to the left side of the first image) Harness is mounted to bolts on the battery, one being under the cover. The harness cable runs along the outside of the bay, pretty much hidden, and with the flaps down, any extra wires and ballasts are all hidden and leaves everything looking untouched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151115_145859.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151115_145907.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151115_145924.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	2945  
anchorman and 1362 like this.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2015, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Not HID but brighter than halogen, look up on JDM Astar 6th and 7th Gen LED bulbs on Amazon. They come in all sizes for headlamps.
Use smile.Amazon.com for charity donation from your purchases.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode