Poor design = build up of debris behind front tire - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-24-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Poor design = build up of debris behind front tire

Thought I'd let folks know that I discovered a poor design behind the front fenders. I discovered it today when I went to wash the car. The plastic piece behind the front fenders allows debris to build up and is very hard clean. The one piece was broken at the dealer yesterday while they were replacing the plastic fender trim that they broke when replacing my last headlight that was leaking. I've replaced both headlights and two taillights that leaked. They have ordered a new piece and there was no charge to me.

The broken side was full of debris which was easy to pull out since the plastic trim was gone. The other side had debris as well and was very hard to clean since there's no was to really reach up and pull it out. Water did the trick but this is a disappointing problem. Now I know and I'll try to keep it clean in the future. I've attached a photo of each side to show the area. This was after the debris had been cleaned out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_121806 (2).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	22363   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_121835 (2).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	22365  

Last edited by Eric Sample; 06-24-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-24-2019, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I think you’ll find that if you pulled all the bits of trim off under most cars you’ll find an astonishing amount of crud lodged behind them but Mazda have already discovered your discovery although they attribute it to snow and ice on the CX3s. They’ve added double sided tape (which is astonishingly strong) to the later models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Broken step moulding.pdf (171.9 KB, 57 views)

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #3 of 3 Old 06-26-2019, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The driver's side moulding broke off on my CX-3 during my second winter owning it. I attributed it to the Mazda accessory mud flaps (which are attached to the moulding) having collected an icy sludge behind them. Just not the best design. I did (eventually) get the dealer to warranty the replacement. Anyway, as a result, I did not bother getting the accessory mud flaps for my new CX-5, since the design of the moulding looks very similar.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode