2016 CX-3 Headlights (Condensation, DRLs, and LEDs/HIDs - Page 2 - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 Old 03-30-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It was pretty straightforward. I also found I can disable the DRLs in the settings as well.

I had roughly 6-8 ounces of water in my headlight and disassembled and resealed the housing. I would not recommend disassembling the headlight to remove moisture in the future. It was far from easy and I would never attempt it again on a Mazda CX-3. There are caps that can be removed and dried to help remove water and moisture.

2016 Mazda CX-3 Touring, Dynamic Blue Mica, AWD
2010 Mazda 3 GT S HB, Black Mica
1999 Audi A4 QM, sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumanator View Post
It was pretty straightforward. I also found I can disable the DRLs in the settings as well.

I had roughly 6-8 ounces of water in my headlight and disassembled and resealed the housing. I would not recommend disassembling the headlight to remove moisture in the future. It was far from easy and I would never attempt it again on a Mazda CX-3. There are caps that can be removed and dried to help remove water and moisture.
Have you got any information regarding the headlight, pictures, guide something. I also have a similar problem, and I'm 2 Months out of warranty.
Depending on the weather, is how much condensation appears.

2016 Cx-3, 2.0L petrol, manual transmission. South Africa.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-02-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechariah936 View Post
Have you got any information regarding the headlight, pictures, guide something. I also have a similar problem, and I'm 2 Months out of warranty.
Depending on the weather, is how much condensation appears.
I had enough water to put a goldfish in it.

I've attached the most useful picture I took - apologies as it's upside down.

Step One:
Without removing the bumper or headlight housings, remove the 3 caps approximately the size of a penny from the back of the headlight. In the attached picture, I circled where I removed one cap in red.

Step Two:
Remove the snorkel like piece circled in yellow in the attached picture.

Step Three:
Remove the foam pads inside of the caps and snorkel. Dry them (I used a hair dryer) while letting the moisture evaporate out of the headlights.

If this does not work, I would repeat it again several times before trying to remove the lights.

If you must remove the headlights, follow the PDF that's been posted on removing the bumper while making sure to tape off your paint and the headlights themselves. Make sure you mark where each screw and bolt go -- it's really easy to get them mixed up as they threw a bunch of different hardware components in for some reason. The wiring for the bulbs have one-time use clips. Be careful to not snap them off, but if you do, it won't really be a problem as far as I can tell. My driver side was replaced by a dealer and I found out during this they snapped a clip for the wires and a clip on the plastic wheel well fender. I would never have known.

This YouTube video does a really good job of explaining the process, even though it's for a CX-5.

If you are removing the headlights at this point, remove the caps as mentioned in steps 1 through 3 above and even turn the headlight upside down to drain the water.

I strongly recommend you do not open the housings. They are sealed with very hard glue. You will have to heat it up to the point you will melt the housing itself before you can easily pry it open. If you do PUT ON CLEAN NITRILE GLOVES so you don't damage the lens. Then start on the bottom. It took me about 4 hours to get mine open and the glue was still harder than the plastic housing. I used a Morimoto pry tool, a screwdriver, and baked the housing for far longer than most YouTube DIY videos.

Next comes the hardest part -- removing the old sealant so you can put new in its place. This took about 6 hours itself. There are special tools for this. I would not attempt without them. The glue adheres to the plastic and will not peel off without careful attention to how you scrape it. I used a heatgun at this point.

Tools: Headlight Perma Seal Cold Glue Removal Tool Kit -- https://www.umnitza.com/headlight-pe...kit-1-set.html

Putting it back together, don't go crazy with the new rubber sealant. I used a heatgun to reshape and "heal" the plastic.

Given the option of buying a new light vs opening another housing, I would buy a new one without hesitation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_CX3_Headlight.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	22103  
Zechariah936 likes this.

1999 Audi A4 QM, sold

Last edited by Pumanator; 04-02-2019 at 01:03 AM.

post #14 of 22 Old 04-02-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumanator View Post
I had enough water to put a goldfish in it.

I've attached the most useful picture I took - apologies as it's upside down.

Step One:
Without removing the bumper or headlight housings, remove the 3 caps approximately the size of a penny from the back of the headlight. In the attached picture, I circled where I removed one cap in red.

Step Two:
Remove the snorkel like piece circled in yellow in the attached picture.

Step Three:
Remove the foam pads inside of the caps and snorkel. Dry them (I used a hair dryer) while letting the moisture evaporate out of the headlights.

If this does not work, I would repeat it again several times before trying to remove the lights.
Great, thank you.
I've seen these caps, however I had no idea what they were for. How do they come off, twist of, or just pull it off?
Thanks for the help.

post #15 of 22 Old 04-02-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Great, thank you.
I've seen these caps, however I had no idea what they were for. How do they come off, twist of, or just pull it off?
Thanks for the help.
They may be snug, but they pull off.

1999 Audi A4 QM, sold
post #16 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 06:43 AM

Ah!
Ok thank you. I'll get to this when the weather is warmer.

Not all here's wear capes....
Pumanator likes this.

post #17 of 22 Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not all here's wear capes....
Thanks haha. I have calmed down now. Happy to share additional info as needed.

I put in Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LEDs and noticed a big improvement. Not on par with HIDs, but more simple. I was advised by Morimoto to purchase an anti-flicker, but have not noticed any flicker and returned them -- save yourself a restocking fee/shipping fee and don't buy them. Based on the color, I can tell they are not Xenons and not Halogens. They have a distinct blue-ish color which would be difficult to discern from an 5000K or 6000K HID from a color standpoint. This is probably similar to almost any aftermarket LED.

1999 Audi A4 QM, sold
post #18 of 22 Old 05-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Update on this issue which I had.
Removing the headlight was not an option for me, as I can't remove the front bumper alone.

Checked all the rubber plug things on the back of the head light, not the cause. It was definitely the seal of the headlight (where the transparent plastic meets the black housing.

Took it to my dealer, spoke to the service person I always deal with ( and who has given me great service all along, and also knows her job). She took photos, inspected the engine bay to verify no accident damage or misalignment, took photos.

Point of this was, to submit to Mazda South Africa, to see what their feedback/decision would be.
Note that vehicle is out of warranty - 3 months.

Got the verdict 2 days later, Mazda will allow a subsidized replacement.
I'll pay 60%, Mazda South Africa, will pay 40%.
Dealer will do the work, no charge for labor, considered going the extra-mile for customer satisfaction.
Work will carry the Mazda guaranteed and warranty as per their normal criteria.

All in all I'm happy.
Great service. Also, singed up for the waiting list for CX-30.

post #19 of 22 Old 05-17-2019, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Update on this issue which I had.
Removing the headlight was not an option for me, as I can't remove the front bumper alone.

Checked all the rubber plug things on the back of the head light, not the cause. It was definitely the seal of the headlight (where the transparent plastic meets the black housing.

Took it to my dealer, spoke to the service person I always deal with ( and who has given me great service all along, and also knows her job). She took photos, inspected the engine bay to verify no accident damage or misalignment, took photos.

Point of this was, to submit to Mazda South Africa, to see what their feedback/decision would be.
Note that vehicle is out of warranty - 3 months.

Got the verdict 2 days later, Mazda will allow a subsidized replacement.
I'll pay 60%, Mazda South Africa, will pay 40%.
Dealer will do the work, no charge for labor, considered going the extra-mile for customer satisfaction.
Work will carry the Mazda guaranteed and warranty as per their normal criteria.

All in all I'm happy.
Great service. Also, singed up for the waiting list for CX-30.
Congrats! That's pretty big. Even asking for a teacher discount and having taken our CX-3 to the same dealer we bought it from landed us having to pay the full cost out of pocket.

I think you would be able to get the bumper off - it is definitely more of a commitment to do it than anything else. I had my doubts going into it. If you do run into a similar issue, I'm suggesting you remove the rubber gaskets to let the foam inside them dry out and you could even remove the headlight bulb so the moisture could evaporate out sitting in the sun.

However, having the work done by a dealer sounds like a pretty solid deal to me!

1999 Audi A4 QM, sold
post #20 of 22 Old 06-06-2019, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Hey there everyone

Here are the different OEM halogen bulbs on our CX3 2.0l Skyactive from France. It's a Elegance version, the base model.

Our model of lights is a little bit different from yours:

My DayLight Running lights, always on when the car is turned on even if lights are off, they are common W5W bulbs.

My LOW BEAMS bulbs, H11 just like you guys

Here are the HIGH BEAMS bulbs, it's a H15 bulb

Could you please help me out with the best upgrade solution in my case thanks