2Likes
  • 2 Post By CraigZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-01-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rear Tail Light

Has anyone changed their back tail light due to leakage into hatch and is it a halogen light or LED light? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-02-2018, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigZ View Post
Has anyone changed their back tail light due to leakage into hatch and is it a halogen light or LED light? Thanks for any help.
It appears to me the rear tail light assembly is sealed-off from the hatch ... where did you find the water?

Replacement bulbs are specified in your owner's manual ... where are you located?

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-02-2018, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

It’s the tail light attached to the hatch. It appears the seal is no good. Saw water leaking through it plus light has moisture in it. Rock auto has replacement just curious if light was set up for halogen or LED.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-02-2018, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Itís the tail light attached to the hatch. It appears the seal is no good. Saw water leaking through it plus light has moisture in it. Rock auto has replacement just curious if light was set up for halogen or LED.
According to my Owner's Manual, OEM halogen or LED depends on what model you have ... and probably what country you are in.

Regardless, I would eliminate the leak and replace it with an LED bulb.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-18-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Update,
After searching for tail light (found several halogen ones), called one dealership up about price for a new one. After being told it would cost about $237 I explained situation of what was going on. He then suggested replacing gasket around tail light which was available for $13. After a couple of hours of removing old gasket and drying out light it no longer leaking water through it.
anchorman and SlyCoopers like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Update,
After searching for tail light (found several halogen ones), called one dealership up about price for a new one. After being told it would cost about $237 I explained situation of what was going on. He then suggested replacing gasket around tail light which was available for $13. After a couple of hours of removing old gasket and drying out light it no longer leaking water through it.
Glad to hear that fixed the problem. Leaky tailights are probably my biggest frustration due to experience with a previous car.

My previous car was a 2010 hyundai genesis coupe which had a factory flaw in its design all the way until it was discontinued 6ish years later where water would literally drain behind the tail light and into the trunk but the only way to notice it was to strip the entire trunk raw and once it filled to an unnatural level the tailights would eventually start condensing in the bulb assembly. Even replacing the gasket or doubling up on it didnt do anything since it was barely reaching the metal it was suppose to seal between the tailight. Ended up buying foam strips with adhesive backing (used for windows and stuff) and basically overlayed the rear light gasket area including surrounding areas beyond its reach to fix it. Not the cleanest job but it was not noticable since it was covered and guaranteed a dry trunk and tailight until someone rear ended me.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode