• 1 Post By NotAPreppie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Ceramic Coating

Given the numerous posts on paint chipping and Mazda's generally "soft" paint as it is, what are your thoughts on the various Ceramic Coating shops that have popped up all over the place?

I picked up my 2018 at the end of January and the dealer installed 3M protection (1/2 hood, bumper, mirrors) and is already starting to peel away at the edges. I have an appointment today for a service and was going to ask them to either replace the 3M and wrap the edges around the lip of the hood or anywhere it can be peeled; or take the whole thing off and return the amount that I paid extra for it.

In speaking to a Ceramic Coating guy, he's suggested that if I get my cash back for the 3M, he'll take it and do a coating on my car. Now...SUPPOSEDLY, these coatings come with a 7 year warranty against chips, dings, and general fading of the gloss shine.

Has anyone done this or recommend/not recommend it?...'cause this shizzle 'aint cheap!

2018 Mazda CX3-GS, Lux + iActiveSense Pkgs. Eternal Blue Mica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 05:55 PM
cvj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am looking at getting this done also. Have an appointment today to take mine in to get an estimate.

2017 CX-3 GT AWD, Automatic w/Tech,
Titanium Mica.

H&R | Sport Spring - CX-3 (AWD) 28775-2
Remus Sport Exhaust
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light W/EXO
Old 04-24-2018, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
The "ceramic" nano coatings won't protect as well as the plastic film protectors (like the 3M).

I think, in a lot of cases, the 7 year warranty assumes a significant amount of upkeep can be proven (receipts, I guess?).

Basically, what you're getting is a really advanced, long-lived wax or paint sealant.

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014...ersible-error/
SlyCoopers likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvj View Post
I am looking at getting this done also. Have an appointment today to take mine in to get an estimate.
Ooooh get ready lol...Calgary is around $1800 - $2000 for the CX3-sized vehicle. Let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
The "ceramic" nano coatings won't protect as well as the plastic film protectors (like the 3M).

I think, in a lot of cases, the 7 year warranty assumes a significant amount of upkeep can be proven (receipts, I guess?).

Basically, what you're getting is a really advanced, long-lived wax or paint sealant.

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014...ersible-error/
Yes I did think I read that somewhere too. at least 2-3 car washes per year and definitely keep the receipts.
They do a good job of "selling" it here. The showroom I went to was pretty flashy with a Lambo, LaFerrari, and a kitted out AMG of some sort sitting there all shiny and stuff lmao.
But..also, in the windowed work areas there is everything from 4 x 4's to BMW's to Mini's in various states of ceramic application.
It's pretty popular but I'm not quite convinced the price point is justified yet. For the Lambos, sure, you have that kind of cash to buy one and maintenance it, then you have cash for a $4000 ceramic coating

Old 04-24-2018, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
As someone who shelled out additional money specifically for ceramic pro coating to a reputable shop the day I got my 2016 mazda cx3 (almost 3 years ago) I can confirm that it is not really worth it but its debatable . Whatever warranty it comes with is something youll never be able to actually verify if its working or not. Scratches still occur through it and I have about 12000 miles on the cx3 (I havent driven it much I know) with numerous rock chips, and scratches on the side from others drivers doors. It isnt as hyped up as its made to be unless you put like 30 coats and make it a really think layer. I rememver seeing a video where this guy is chipping at a fender with a rock trying to scratch it and it isnt scratched but he has a ton of coats way more than anyone can afford. I ended up getting 2 coats with 5 year warrenty.

In my case one thing they dont mention is that every year you HAVE to go for a check up where they will tell you they need to reapply a water repell coating layer to protect the ceramic pro and doing this yearly for 5 years is more than the initial coating cost in the first place.. Lets say the original cost was 2 grand for sake of simplicity, these yearly "touch ups" want 7-800 each which to me was not a good business decision. After 5 years I might as well just get a new paint job instead of all of this :/

3m film is MUCH better at protecting your car. Now while the ceramic pro isnt entirely useless it is an additional layer of protection on the clear coat so thats something but whether its worth the overkill price + touchups.. 3m film or even vinyl wrap seem like a much better option.

To comment on the showroom advertisement bit, the place here does the same thing. Special room with leds placed conveniently to give the best shine on luxury super cars showing off the "coating". Its the equalivant of the old fashioned ads that had half naked women trying to entice you to buy. Everything is a business at the end of the day just trying to sell a product.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Last edited by SlyCoopers; 04-24-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: one of many typos
Old 04-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I have had both my vehicles done. Not sure why you guys pay so much, cost in Arizona is more in the $500 range. The ceramic coatings are not the end-all for thin paint like on our Mazda's and my Nissan Frontier but when applied correctly the paint looks incredible and imho looks better longer than conventional wax. The coatings make my paint MUCH easier to clean/wash as junk doesn't stick to it near as much.

Summary: If you have the money and don't live to wax your car every 6 months then coatings are OK if you love to wax your vehicle than by all means do so...

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Great advice @SlyCoopers @ghmpm thank you.

Yes they are hugely expensive here for some reason. I'd do it for $500 but not for $1800.
I think I'll just get a good decontamination and waxing done for $100-$150 once a year and just up keep with intermittent waxing myself.

Nano just seems all a bit excessive and a little gimmicky to what they are claiming the Nano can do, which puts me off completely lol.
Who knows, maybe they'll come down in price in a couple years.

As a side note, when I took my car to the dealer yesterday and showed them the 3M starting to peel up, they said they were going to trim back the peeled bits....huh?!
I let them know that if that's their solution then to just take it all off and refund me the initial cost.

Low and behold, the finance manager, who I originally dealt with when buying the car, stepped up and said they would replace it AND wrap the edges around at no cost.
This was AFTER the service manager had told me they "did not have the technology to wrap around edges" (exact statement).

Sigh...good that they'll do it but bad that we have to threaten something before they do.