• 1 Post By Jroper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-21-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Question Front bumper guide bracket?

Hey all,

I regret to report that the cx-3 has experience its first accident where some lovely idiot decided to roll back in neutral and stop himself with my front bumper.. That aside Im looking at light damage just the front passenger side grille chrome surround trim, scuffed spots on the grille lines and unfortunatly after taking my bumper off I noticed the entire bracket(I think thats an appropriate term for it) broke off from the impact on the passenger side. I am not sure how to explain it properly other than the slot where the 2 front bumper guides slide into. (Step 16 of front bumper removal pdf thats been floating around here). I have attached a picture for reference of the broken part. I am not entirely sure what components it is connected to as I was running out of daylight and had to piece everything back together again.

So my question is does anyone know what this part is called and or part number for the unit which contains the passenger side bracket? This is not part of the front bumper cover but rather what the cover slide into with some large clips.

Also does this effect alignment of the bumper? I have awkward shift where the passenger side of the front bumper is more closer to flush with the hood and the driver side has a larger gap. I checked all fender and headlight dimensions and gaps comparing both sides and thankfully nothing else was effected besides the front bumper. Thank you for your time reading this and I hope you never have to experience this unfortunate situation. :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180421_173952_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	20850  

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-22-2018, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
If not this page, you can easily search for others on this site.
Jroper likes this.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-22-2018, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Hey all,

I regret to report that the cx-3 has experience its first accident where some lovely idiot decided to roll back in neutral and stop himself with my front bumper.. That aside Im looking at light damage just the front passenger side grille chrome surround trim, scuffed spots on the grille lines and unfortunatly after taking my bumper off I noticed the entire bracket(I think thats an appropriate term for it) broke off from the impact on the passenger side. I am not sure how to explain it properly other than the slot where the 2 front bumper guides slide into. (Step 16 of front bumper removal pdf thats been floating around here). I have attached a picture for reference of the broken part. I am not entirely sure what components it is connected to as I was running out of daylight and had to piece everything back together again.

So my question is does anyone know what this part is called and or part number for the unit which contains the passenger side bracket? This is not part of the front bumper cover but rather what the cover slide into with some large clips.

Also does this effect alignment of the bumper? I have awkward shift where the passenger side of the front bumper is more closer to flush with the hood and the driver side has a larger gap. I checked all fender and headlight dimensions and gaps comparing both sides and thankfully nothing else was effected besides the front bumper. Thank you for your time reading this and I hope you never have to experience this unfortunate situation. :/
Hi, sorry to hear about the damage. I looked around my front bumper but didn't see anything on it like your pic. Here is a link to a parts diagram, let me know which item you think it is, I'm interested to see what it is.

https://www.mazdanyparts.com/auto-pa...nts-front-scat
mainemanx likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-22-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the links. I have been over the same site all day yesterday mainly the bumper diagrams and couldnt find anything directly pointing to this area besides maybe part of the impact bar which is really unfortunate if that is the case. Im attaching another set of pictures for reference of what I was talking about. The picture with the washer cap is where this broke off of. You can see it better in the first picture as its next to the headlight but under the shroud. Not listed as any bumper component so I can only hope it is part of the impact bar. Ill be able to evaluate it a little better next time the bumper comes off when I replace the chrome trim on the grille.

Edit: I realized it might not make sense at first without pointing to it but the clip is near the center of each photo under the shroud.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20180422_091424_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	20866   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180422_091446_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	20874  

Last edited by SlyCoopers; 04-22-2018 at 02:25 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-28-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Updating incase it helps anyone at a future date*

Finally managed to get time and cooperative weather to take the bumper off and attempt a repair since I could not find a replacement part for this in any diagram. Turns out Mazda apparently decided to fuse multiple components in random parts such as combining this bumper guide pin bracket into the headlight unit :/ also discovered that the grille component of the bumper also holds the bumper guide pins which seems extremely inconvenient incase of an accident since multiple things can directly get damaged even if it seems otherwise. If the grille was just a grille I would not have had this situation with the bracket and could deal with just replacing a cracked grille. Replacing the grille is also a PITA as you have to take out rivets on the top of the bumper etc but thats a story for another day.

Final verdict: JBweld works wonders on stuff like this lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headlightslot.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	21345  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode