LED Headlight replacement for factory Halogens - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-17-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lightbulb LED Headlight replacement for factory Halogens

Hello all,

I just got my 2017 CX3 GS AWD here in Nova Scotia, Canada. Sadly mine came with the stock halogens no LEDs for me. The halogens in the CX3 are a lot less bright I find than what was in my 2014 Mazda 3 GT. I do a lot of night highway driving so I decided Im going to try and change my headlights with some LED ones.

The two bulbs that are in there are H11s and 9005s. I ordered the 50W 6500k 8000LM NIGHTEYE LED conversion kits from amazon. It should arrive early next week. Will post how it goes, and pictures updates of installation, before and after.
RadoMark408 likes this.
CanadianCX3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Junior Member
 
RadoMark408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I wanted to go LEDs for ours too but I have been buying HID kits from the same person for years and they have been working since 2006. Maybe one day I will make the switch haha

2017 Mazda CX-3 Touring - 5,xxx mi.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD - 30,xxx mi.
2003 Honda Civic EX - 119,xxx mi.
2002 Infiniti I35 - 190,xxx mi. (Traded in for the CX-3)
RadoMark408 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Was tempted to go the HID route too but was worried theyd be too bright for other drivers. I know I hate it when someone blinds me with poorly fitted HIDs. I finally installed the LEDs. Love them so far. Theyre so much more aesthetically pleasing than the stock. No converter on anything needed. Were plug and play. Only cost me $90 to replace high and low beams. Got them off of Amazon
19MGN46 likes this.

2017 CX3 GS AWD
CanadianCX3 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
NotAPreppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
The big issue with aftermarket HID headlights is people installing them in halogen reflector-style headlight housings. If you get a good HID kit with proper projector housings (and their sharp horizontal cut-off) then other drivers should be okay.

Just make sure that the new LED headlights have the same sharp cut-off and you'll be fine.

FWIW, IIHS rated the CX-3 LED headlights as "acceptable" but the CX-3 halogen headlights are "poor".
2016 Mazda CX-3

Most other SUV/CUV's did marginal or poor:
Most small SUV headlights rate poor
RadoMark408 likes this.


2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
NotAPreppie is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario Canada
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
The big issue with aftermarket HID headlights is people installing them in halogen reflector-style headlight housings. If you get a good HID kit with proper projector housings (and their sharp horizontal cut-off) then other drivers should be okay.

Just make sure that the new LED headlights have the same sharp cut-off and you'll be fine.

FWIW, IIHS rated the CX-3 LED headlights as "acceptable" but the CX-3 halogen headlights are "poor".
2016 Mazda CX-3

Most other SUV/CUV's did marginal or poor:
Most small SUV headlights rate poor
Consumer's Reports also agree with this finding.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Geezer; 07-10-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Geezer is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-18-2017, 01:03 PM
Member
 
Brigitte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada - Southern Ontario
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCX3 View Post
Was tempted to go the HID route too but was worried theyd be too bright for other drivers. I know I hate it when someone blinds me with poorly fitted HIDs. I finally installed the LEDs. Love them so far. Theyre so much more aesthetically pleasing than the stock. No converter on anything needed. Were plug and play. Only cost me $90 to replace high and low beams. Got them off of Amazon

A little late to the party here, but I'm hoping to do the same thing. Are these the ones, in H11 and 9005? Do you have any before and after pics?

https://www.amazon.ca/NIGHTEYE-Headl...ion%2Bkit&th=1
davidjsiahaan likes this.

2016 GS AWD with Luxury Package in Jet Black Mica

Canadian hiker, photography buff and auto enthusiast!
Brigitte is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Junior Member
 
GeeArr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
A little late to the party here, but I'm hoping to do the same thing. Are these the ones, in H11 and 9005? Do you have any before and after pics?

https://www.amazon.ca/NIGHTEYE-Headl...ion%2Bkit&th=1
I have those myself, never got any issue with them so far. I really love the difference in light output (big difference IMO) and so far nobody flashed me thinking I had my high beams. Took a big 2-3 minutes to install (if even), crazy easy to do.

If you search in the mazda subreddit, someone posted some pictures with those same led lights on their cx-3 (could be CanadaCX3).

Edit: here's the album from the reddit post https://imgur.com/a/c0ozQ , doesn't show much for lighting at night..

Dynamic Blue '17 CX-3 GX AWD

Last edited by GeeArr; 11-23-2017 at 05:03 PM.
GeeArr is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-24-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yup that's me on Reddit. I also blacked out my Cx3 recently. I'll try and get a night time photo tonight and post it to the same album. Haven't had a chance lately.

2017 CX3 GS AWD
CanadianCX3 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-24-2017, 11:08 PM
Member
 
Brigitte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada - Southern Ontario
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeArr View Post
I have those myself, never got any issue with them so far. I really love the difference in light output (big difference IMO) and so far nobody flashed me thinking I had my high beams. Took a big 2-3 minutes to install (if even), crazy easy to do.

If you search in the mazda subreddit, someone posted some pictures with those same led lights on their cx-3 (could be CanadaCX3).

Edit: here's the album from the reddit post https://imgur.com/a/c0ozQ , doesn't show much for lighting at night..
Awesome, thank you, GeeArr!

2016 GS AWD with Luxury Package in Jet Black Mica

Canadian hiker, photography buff and auto enthusiast!
Brigitte is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Member
 
Brigitte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada - Southern Ontario
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCX3 View Post
Yup that's me on Reddit. I also blacked out my Cx3 recently. I'll try and get a night time photo tonight and post it to the same album. Haven't had a chance lately.
Can't wait!

2016 GS AWD with Luxury Package in Jet Black Mica

Canadian hiker, photography buff and auto enthusiast!
Brigitte is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome