• 1 Post By KimMacph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Photos of Clear (or not) wraps

Hey All,

I've owned my CX-3 for just over a year and the number of chips in the hood (and doors) is ridiculous.. At least 3 are already very slightly rusting. I washed, paint penned, waxed, buffed, the car the other day but need a longer term solution so i'm looking into getting a clear wrap installed. Apparently I do too much highway and winter driving for this paint coat!

This is my first new car; older cars that i've seen with these wraps look horrendous.. They start yellowing, peeling, bubbling, etc. I'm assuming wrap technology and installation process has improved but i'm worried the wraps will look awful. Does anyone have photos of there cars with the wraps? Can you please take closer up photos so I can see the wrap edges, etc.?

And if you're in canada, how much should I expect to pay?

Cheers,
Kim
Sarah likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimMacph View Post
Hey All,

I've owned my CX-3 for just over a year and the number of chips in the hood (and doors) is ridiculous.. At least 3 are already very slightly rusting. I washed, paint penned, waxed, buffed, the car the other day but need a longer term solution so i'm looking into getting a clear wrap installed. Apparently I do too much highway and winter driving for this paint coat!

This is my first new car; older cars that i've seen with these wraps look horrendous.. They start yellowing, peeling, bubbling, etc. I'm assuming wrap technology and installation process has improved but i'm worried the wraps will look awful. Does anyone have photos of there cars with the wraps? Can you please take closer up photos so I can see the wrap edges, etc.?

And if you're in canada, how much should I expect to pay?

Cheers,
Kim
This is one of those situations where you really do get what you pay for. My brother owns a high-end body shop, and he has Solar Tech Films in Kelowna do all his wrap jobs as they only use the best films. I realize you're in Vancouver, but you might want to have a look at their website as there's some good info on it that you might find helpful. The high-end films these days are amazingly thin and very clear, but even so you'll always be able to see (barely) a line where the film ends, unless you end the film at a natural seam where the car's body panels join/end.

Prices obviously depend on what you want covered. The most common package they do is to wrap the whole front end around to the fenders, then an 18-inch swath up and across the front of hood, plus the headlights and the mirrors. I don't remember exactly but I think that package was is in the $750 - $800 ballpark.

There is the option of doing it with zero seams showing which would be great. You can do the front end and stop at the body seam where the fenders join, and not do any of the fenders. And rather than doing only the front part of the hood you could actually do the whole thing, which is small enough on a CX-3 that it can be done in one piece using a 48" roll of film with almost no waste, which means they SHOULD be able to keep the price down for you (many hoods are too big and would require a larger roll and a bunch of waste, which obviously costs more). You could also skip the mirrors to keep the price down (I hardly ever see mirror chips myself). That's still a fair bit of film though with the whole hood done, so it's probably at least a $1000 job I'd think.

Not cheap for sure, but as you say there are cheap films out there that just look horrendous after a few years.

Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CURRENT MAZDAS2016 CX-3 GT - Soul Red / Pure White - 6 speed automatic • 1990 Miata - Mariner Blue - 5 speed manual - collector plates • 2003 B-4000 - 5 speed manual
PREVIOUS MAZDAS2003 Protegé5 Special Edition - 5 speed manual • 1991 Miata - Classic Red - 5 speed manual • 1986 B-2000 - 5 speed manual • 1985 626 - 5 speed manual • 1970 1000 - 2 speed automatic - my 1st car!

Last edited by Mariner; 03-29-2017 at 05:13 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips!

I'm definitely not looking to cheap out. I got a quote from NMotion shop in Vancouver which will be just over $1000 for the 3M Pros Series Paint Protection Film with a 7 year warranty. It includes the following:
- Partial Fenders
- Side Mirrors
- Front Bumper
- Headlights
- Full Hood

Any experience with this particular film? The warranty covers pretty much anything with the wrap. Yellowing, peeling, staining, cracking, bubbling, etc. It covers all my regular concerns and if I successfully get 7 years use out of a wrap I would be happy.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-31-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not familiar with it, but 3M is an industry leader with these types of products so I can't imagine going wrong with one of their high-end films. The price seems to be in line too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CURRENT MAZDAS2016 CX-3 GT - Soul Red / Pure White - 6 speed automatic • 1990 Miata - Mariner Blue - 5 speed manual - collector plates • 2003 B-4000 - 5 speed manual
PREVIOUS MAZDAS2003 Protegé5 Special Edition - 5 speed manual • 1991 Miata - Classic Red - 5 speed manual • 1986 B-2000 - 5 speed manual • 1985 626 - 5 speed manual • 1970 1000 - 2 speed automatic - my 1st car!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow 700-800.00! I had my last Subaru wrx done 375.00 USD with 3M. Planning to have the CX-3 done as well.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-03-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimMacph View Post
. . .I've owned my CX-3 for just over a year and the number of chips in the hood (and doors) is ridiculous.. At least 3 are already very slightly rusting. I washed, paint penned, waxed, buffed, the car the other day but need a longer term solution so i'm looking into getting a clear wrap installed. . .
Don't you have to get a wrap done over pristine paintwork, either prior to getting any chips or after a respray, for it to look any good?

09/15 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic

post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtonline View Post
Don't you have to get a wrap done over pristine paintwork, either prior to getting any chips or after a respray, for it to look any good?
Not if the wrap is done correctly. It'll prevent the chips for getting any worse, rusting, etc.

I've not gotten the wrap done, got the full hood, bumper, lights, 1/2 fender and mirrors and it looks really great. Filled in the little chips making them barely noticeable, the ends of the wrap are only noticeable if you really look, no bubbles and a 7 year warranty. Cost was about $1200 CAD, was quoted the same basically everywhere. I could have gotten a cheaper wrap for about 900 but went with the pro version
post #8 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Glad to hear you're happy with the results, Kim

09/15 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode