User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 11-05-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Fender Flare Plastic Trims

Ever since I put on the more aggressive A/T tires on the CX-3, my fender flare trim pieces has been popping out every time I hit a bump. This is rather annoying and I am afraid they will completely fall off on the highway one day. The trim pieces are held rather weakly by some clips. Anyone got ideas on how I could secure them better?

Zoom! Zoom!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-06-2016, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
When you hit a bump are the tires rising up and catching on the plastic trim? It will be tough to keep them secure when the tires are working to rip them off, especially aggressive ones like that.

Otherwise, if the clips are just bad and the trim pieces are just popping off for no real reason I would think that would be covered under warranty.

Also what size/type are the tires? I've been considering some more aggressive tires as well but I'm currently running the stock tires/18" rims from the GT trim level.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-06-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
When you hit a bump are the tires rising up and catching on the plastic trim? It will be tough to keep them secure when the tires are working to rip them off, especially aggressive ones like that.

Otherwise, if the clips are just bad and the trim pieces are just popping off for no real reason I would think that would be covered under warranty.

Also what size/type are the tires? I've been considering some more aggressive tires as well but I'm currently running the stock tires/18" rims from the GT trim level.
They are 215/70/16s and 0 offset rims with 25mm spacers. So yea, they are super aggressive setup. And they are popping out because the wheels rub when I hit bumps/dips.

Zoom! Zoom!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-06-2016, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I'd take off the spacers and reduce the wear on the vehicle and potential for debris (fender molding) to strike a fellow motorist.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #5 of 16 Old 11-06-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9999 View Post
I'd take off the spacers and reduce the wear on the vehicle and potential for debris (fender molding) to strike a fellow motorist.
I need the spacers to run these rims, as they won't clear the brake calipers without. I may just have to go with different tire size, if I couldn't figure anything else out.

Zoom! Zoom!
post #6 of 16 Old 11-06-2016, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Ah I see. I'd just change the set up. I hate dealing with spacers, bumping fenders etc.
Cyclone1410 likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #7 of 16 Old 11-06-2016, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtut83 View Post
I need the spacers to run these rims, as they won't clear the brake calipers without. I may just have to go with different tire size, if I couldn't figure anything else out.
Either a different tire size or perhaps some form of a lift so that the tires don't come in contact with the trim like that. It'd be a shame to lose those tires though, the car looks fantastic as it is.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-06-2016, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
The trims are quite tight when new but if they didn’t pop off you would destroy them eventually if they contact the tires. I think the point is that they simply don’t fit the car. You wouldn’t be allowed to change the wheel size (rolling radius) in Europe without having the car re tested for brake performance and speedo accuracy. You would also need to cover the exposed part with arch extenders. They will cover your car in mud and dirt in winter. BTW, is there a reason for using bold text? It would normally be used to emphasise a point.
Cyclone1410, st3v3cx-3 and Levi3xt like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #9 of 16 Old 11-06-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

I realized that neither the tires nor rims were "made" for our car. I was thinking outside the box and make the car "my own". I didn't factor in the extra high that I gained from thread depth of the A/T tires, hence I am having clearance issues. The tires are 215/70/16 which is only 10% more taller than the stock 215/60/16. As for bold text, no real reason.
anchorman and d1zturbe3d like this.

Zoom! Zoom!
post #10 of 16 Old 11-07-2016, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtut83 View Post
I realized that neither the tires nor rims were "made" for our car. I was thinking outside the box and make the car "my own". I didn't factor in the extra high that I gained from thread depth of the A/T tires, hence I am having clearance issues. The tires are 215/70/16 which is only 10% more taller than the stock 215/60/16. As for bold text, no real reason.
One of the styling changes to the forthcoming Cx-5 is that it will adopt the snug round arches of the CX-3 to give it a more composed look. In your case it has caused you a problem but I think, and this is my personal opinion, that those wheels exceed what is needed to achieve the rugged look and appear a bit odd. Finding something just right might not be easy but before you buy, there are websites that have comparisons of rolling radius between tire sizes.

The new Cx-5 will appear at the LA show later this month;

Cyclone1410, osterga and mainemanx like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode