User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-14-2016, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
WIndow Cleaning

I've been using a variety of methods to clean my car windows but most specifically the windscreen.

I'll outline various methods and hopefully some of you can add to what I do (I don't mind criticism as long as it's constructive).

For a quick clean I wipe down the windscreen to remove crud (water and a microfibre towel). Then invisible glass cleaner applies with microfibre to finishes it off.

For a better clean I've been using:

1. 50/50 mix of water and vinegar.
2. Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
3. Washed it with rubbing alcohol, then vinegar, then again with glass cleaner.

I read somewhere that a common modern misconception for leaving your car windows without streaks is to use newspaper. That may have worked well in the past due to the solvents and abrasive grit used in the ink, but new water-based inks just leave your hands blackened and smudgy.

Microfibre cloths: I find the "cheap" ones leave "sparkles" on the windows. By sparkles I mean, when looking out (from inside) with a light source shining from outside (Sun, torch etc) there are flecks of fibre glass looking sparkles. This doesn't happen with "good quality microfibre cloth. Note: These sparkles would also be on the paint work, except, of course you can't see them.

The cheap microfibre cloths gives no indication what they are made from. The better quality ones are usually made from 80 % polyester 20% polyamide (or 87/13 or 70/30.....I think 80/20 is best).

If your car has aftermarket tinted windows, do not use an alcohol-based glass cleaner. Instead, just clean tinted windows with soapy water (one drop of detergent in a spray bottle of water is sufficient).

You may have a clay bar and think it’s only for cleaning the paintwork, but a clay bar does a great job on glass. Use warm water in a spray bottle (warm water loosens grime better than cold water) and spray plenty of it onto the glass. Work the clay bar in all different angles. If you feel resistance, concentrate on that area to remove the embedded contaminants. Keep spraying plenty of water on the glass.

There is more I could add to the above but, will wait to see if other members are interested before adding more.

You only have the right of way if the other driver gives it to you

Last edited by Levi3xt; 09-14-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
The sparkles are the fibers of the cheap microfiber cloths being left behind. You get what you pay for. I don't mind the cheap cloths when waxing paint because, like you said, you can't see the leftover fibers.

I've had the best luck with plain old Windex (blue alcohol/ammonia glass cleaner) and a pair of cotton terrycloth hand towels. One towel is for wet cleaning and the other is to sort of "dry buff" away any deposited cotton fibers. I haven't had luck with this method working with cheap microfiber sparklies.

I agree that a clay bar treatment on glass can really help with baked-on bugs and sap. My racecar gets tons of adhesive residue from registration and tech inspection stickers and I've found that starting off with GooGone and razor blade (at 45° angle) works wonders for removing that. Sadly, only replacement works on a pitted 20 year old windshield.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I use Sprayway glass cleaner and quality microfiber towels (that are only washed together, never mixed with laundry). I have zero streaks or fiber remnants on the glass. I am VERY picky on having spot and streak free glass due to my OCD. My method is simple and has worked well for year.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-14-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Stoner's foaming window cleaner is what I have discovered is absolutely the best. It not only cleans the window in a spotless, steak free way, it is the easiest job to complete in the cleanup schedule.

Disclaimer: I do not work for or invest in Stoners

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I'm using Griots Garage foam spray but I always use blue paper roll for best effect.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #6 of 17 Old 09-17-2016, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
You can also use steel wool on the outside of your glass. It will take bugs and contamination off your glass. I use stoners invisible glass on the inside of my cars....this stuff is awesome. It has no soaps or dyes in it. I also put a coat of spray wax on my windshield to help with rain and snow... I use meguiars wax for this part. I am a detailer at a Mazda dealership and this is some of the stuff we use on our cars.

Stock is boring
post #7 of 17 Old 09-17-2016, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
My wife's firm manufacture double glazing so she gets the cleaner they use. It's damn good because even I can't smudge it

Still.................mustn't grumble
post #8 of 17 Old 09-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I have used so many sprays etc etc over the years and all worked well but after a while that film starts to build up on the glass and you can start again.

Last year I say a link to this site on the Vette forum.

ultimate cloth, mirafiber, mira fiber cloth, window washing cloth

Thought it was a bit too good to be true but lots of people said it worked.

Ordered a pack and shipped to Australia.

The are like thick flexible paper.

Just wet them, squeeze out excess water and wipe windows.

All I can say is it's the best I have used and it is now months and no film build up yet.

It will come back as I think it comes from the plastics with heat etc but it cleans them so well it gives clear glass longer than anything I have used.

Anyway, be sceptical, I was but for the price it's worth a try.

2015 CX3 Akari - 2.0 Petrol AWD

Mods: Pedal Kit, Hood Insulator, Boot Liner, Front Parking Sensors, 40% Tint, Paddle Shifts, USB to Glovebox..Console, Infotainment Tweaks......
post #9 of 17 Old 09-18-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Without exception, all the replies have been so interesting. There are several that I'd like a bit more comment on.

Bud said: I also put a coat of spray wax on my windshield to help with rain and snow.

As I've mentioned in a previous post, I can't come to grips with putting wax on a windscreen. Could this "waxing the windscreen" be expanded on?

Craig said: He Likes the Ultimate cloth. Can you tell me who you ordered this from? (I'm also in Aus).

Follow up to what I said earlier:

If you think about it, most of that "grime" is motor oil, fuel, and asphalt......all oil-based.

When cleaning the windscreen I see what looks like smears especially where the wipers clean. If I use Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) the smearing disappear. If I then use invisible glass cleaner the smears reappear so, obviously it not the road grime. From then on when using the wipers there is no streaking and the screen is crystal clear in the rain.

You only have the right of way if the other driver gives it to you

Last edited by Levi3xt; 09-18-2016 at 09:58 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Hi Levi3xt.

I ordered the cloths from the vender in the link I provided. southern car parts in the US

We use a shipping agent (shipito.com) so I normally just send things to may mailbox and then ship them to Australia once I have enough items to make a package worthwhile.

2015 CX3 Akari - 2.0 Petrol AWD

Mods: Pedal Kit, Hood Insulator, Boot Liner, Front Parking Sensors, 40% Tint, Paddle Shifts, USB to Glovebox..Console, Infotainment Tweaks......

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode