H11 LED Headlight Bulbs by JDM Astar (8th Gen) - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-26-2016, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Lightbulb H11 LED Headlight Bulbs by JDM Astar (8th Gen)

So I swapped in the JDM Astar brand JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light bulbs (use code JDMASTAR for %5 off befo re shipping).
Link
JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

The bulbs are their current latest and brightest 8th gen model. These are very high lumens ratings but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

The install is VERY easy and I'll post a video about it with bright day light for better visuals. All I had to supply was two black zip ties.

I've had their 6th Gen bulbs in my E90 BMW 3 series (halogen) and my 2013 NC series Mazda MX-5 Miata Club. They worked liked a champ and never had issues over 15k miles I've had them, and I drive A LOT day and night with lights on to make sure others notice my car. 6th Gen bulbs with flexible ribbon heat sinks was necessary to fit behind tight confines of those two cars.
CX-3 had plenty of space behind headlights thanks to Kodo design which made the hood longer.

Anyways here are the pictures taken with Sony Alpha camera. You will notice the new light by their whiter color. The patter covers more with very little to say about hot spots, they just don't exist.
These bulbs are made to act like halogens when it comes to light spread. Some pictures were taken in HDR to see the fainter lights that most digital cameras won't show but you can see with naked eye.

Unboxing

The Drivers, they run cool, most of the heat comes out of bulb's heat sink.
All connections are water tight and OE direct fit to H-11. Nothing to mess around with.

Compared next to the H11 Halogen bulbs.

Dim OE Halogens, just not as bad as Honda HR-V lights.

Side by side with JDM Astar 8th Gen

In HDR Mode (Triple Shot, not Photoshopped)
You may notice the JDM Astar LED has a shadow or unlit area right at 6 O'Clock position. This is due to their bi directional placement of LED and the reflector housing. But it is not a big issue since we won't be looking at too close in front of our cars on the road, but much further.
I will try to see if reflective tape on black plastic pieces of bulb will help the issue.

Both lights JDM Astar

HDR. You can see more lights on side spreads vs OE while keeping same pattern.

The car.

When my PayPal transaction failed due to some sort of server error, I emailed them and they responded quickly, in very good native English. So that's a plus vs many vendors that don't have decent customer service.

Stay tuned for install video and engine bay shots.
greaseman85 likes this.

Last edited by Soraia; 08-26-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soraia View Post
So I swapped in the JDM Astar brand JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light bulbs (use code JDMASTAR for %5 off befo re shipping).
Link
JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

The bulbs are their current latest and brightest 8th gen model. These are very high lumens ratings but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

The install is VERY easy and I'll post a video about it with bright day light for better visuals. All I had to supply was two black zip ties.

I've had their 6th Gen bulbs in my E90 BMW 3 series (halogen) and my 2013 NC series Mazda MX-5 Miata Club. They worked liked a champ and never had issues over 15k miles I've had them, and I drive A LOT day and night with lights on to make sure others notice my car. 6th Gen bulbs with flexible ribbon heat sinks was necessary to fit behind tight confines of those two cars.
CX-3 had plenty of space behind headlights thanks to Kodo design which made the hood longer.

Anyways here are the pictures taken with Sony Alpha camera. You will notice the new light by their whiter color. The patter covers more with very little to say about hot spots, they just don't exist.
These bulbs are made to act like halogens when it comes to light spread. Some pictures were taken in HDR to see the fainter lights that most digital cameras won't show but you can see with naked eye.

Unboxing

The Drivers, they run cool, most of the heat comes out of bulb's heat sink.
All connections are water tight and OE direct fit to H-11. Nothing to mess around with.

Compared next to the H11 Halogen bulbs.

Dim OE Halogens, just not as bad as Honda HR-V lights.

Side by side with JDM Astar 8th Gen

In HDR Mode (Triple Shot, not Photoshopped)
You may notice the JDM Astar LED has a shadow or unlit area right at 6 O'Clock position. This is due to their bi directional placement of LED and the reflector housing. But it is not a big issue since we won't be looking at too close in front of our cars on the road, but much further.
I will try to see if reflective tape on black plastic pieces of bulb will help the issue.

Both lights JDM Astar

HDR. You can see more lights on side spreads vs OE while keeping same pattern.

The car.

When my PayPal transaction failed due to some sort of server error, I emailed them and they responded quickly, in very good native English. So that's a plus vs many vendors that don't have decent customer service.

Stay tuned for install video and engine bay shots.
These look nice, excellent job!! Any flicker? And did you have to install a relay harness at all??
post #3 of 14 Old 09-11-2016, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Much much better.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-13-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
So far no flickers after a few months. Nothing needed. Just plug in and go. Can be done in 5 minutes.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-31-2016, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Nice write up!

Quick question, I've tried searching everywhere but no luck. How do these lights interact with the DRLs?

Did you have to disable them or do they work the same as the halogen bulbs (turned on but lower voltage and no flickering)? Seems like it's hit or miss between vehicle manufacturers. Some require a harness others work just fine.

2016 Mazda CX-3 FWD Touring
post #6 of 14 Old 01-02-2017, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Question for the OE poster, what model CX-3 do you have? Are these bulbs for the hdlts on the sport and touring models or are they for the Grand Touring which has LED hdlts?

Tony

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500
post #7 of 14 Old 01-02-2017, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman View Post
Question for the OE poster, what model CX-3 do you have? Are these bulbs for the hdlts on the sport and touring models or are they for the Grand Touring which has LED hdlts?

Tony
Not OP but these LEDs are for the Sport/Touring headlights that come with halogen bulbs.

I'm fairly certain that the LEDs on the Grand Touring are not accessible without cracking open the housing...this is true for most if not all cars that come from the factory with LEDs.

2016 Mazda CX-3 FWD Touring
post #8 of 14 Old 01-02-2017, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Ok thanks that does look good. I was a little bummed that HID hdlts on this car on the lower models don't show a whiter light so these bulbs are definitely the ticket to get better lighting.

On my Vette and Shelby with HID hdlts when I drive them at night it's like daytime when those lights are on.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-02-2017, 03:23 PM
bjn

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I've tried them in our Honda Civic (8th Gen. H7 version), and they did not work particularly well there, at low beam dazzled the oncoming clearly so optics was not okay.
They looked very impressive on the car, but they gave actually worse light seen from the cabin because of the strange spread of the beam.

Mazda CX-3 150 AWD Automatic Optimum 2016 -
Honda Civic Sport 1.8 Automatic 2012 -
post #10 of 14 Old 01-03-2017, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I had them on my previous Forester and hated being "Hi beam blinked" by cars approaching me. My lights were perfectly aligned, but there is just something about the blueish glare of HID lights that angers many drivers.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
h11 , jdmastar , led

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode