Epic Road Trip Review - VA to MA in 36 hours (and over 1000 miles clocked) - Page 2 - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX-ME View Post
The three kinds of noise I tune out are road noise, engine noise, and Leavenfish grousing. Just sayin'!

Questions for Baystate Blue:

1. Do you have AWD or FWD. I've forgotten.

2. Was the air conditioning on during your big trip? I'm a unclear on how much that affects mileage in the CX-3.

3. Is most of your home driving around VA city or highway or mixed? I'm still well under 600 miles and in mixed driving, heavy with stop & go traffic, I'm seeing 23 MPG so far.

4. No use of sport mode or paddle shifters, correct?
To answer your questions:

1) I have AWD, I want FWD, but finding it was proving harder than normal.

2) I'm not a huge fan of AC usage, but I did have it on during the hotter parts of travel. On the drive back though, it was windows open all the way!

3) Most of my home driving is highway/city (60%/40%). I use the major toll road to get to work in the morning and typically take the city way home in the evening when there's less traffic. In the few days since I've been back my mileage is holding steady at 32.4mpg.

4) I used the sport mode once the entire trip and that was to get around a particularly snotty driver who was being an asshat about letting me back into the middle lane after I was in the passing lane. Other than that it wasn't needed because the regular get up and get of the CX3 got me where I needed to be with zero hesitation.

Baystate Blue, the ink I love and now the color of the car I drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 09-09-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabs View Post
Did most of your road trip consist of highways or did you take it on those little side road with pebbles?
Most of my trip was highway with the occasional side road for gas stops or a meal.

post #13 of 26 Old 09-09-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavenfish View Post
WIND noise...like the window was cracked....wind rushing by. It is just more than the HRV's I've driven, that's all. Both have some road noise/engine/transmission noise... and they sound different. All will at this price point.
I have to admit I don't understand the whole cabin noise debate. I don't know ANYONE who drives in their car without any sort of music or background noise playing. A few years ago I did test this point with a Mercedes that I had as a rental and other than feeling really eerie because I couldn't hear anything going on outside of the car when I didn't have anything playing (car horns and slight road noise were it), I don't think I would like it at all. I like to hear and feel the ride, but I also don't want to sound like I'm riding outside of the car.

post #14 of 26 Old 09-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaystateBlue View Post
I have to admit I don't understand the whole cabin noise debate. I don't know ANYONE who drives in their car without any sort of music or background noise playing. A few years ago I did test this point with a Mercedes that I had as a rental and other than feeling really eerie because I couldn't hear anything going on outside of the car when I didn't have anything playing (car horns and slight road noise were it), I don't think I would like it at all. I like to hear and feel the ride, but I also don't want to sound like I'm riding outside of the car.
Agreed. I can only understand it being a problem when other people have trouble hearing you on the phone. Otherwise it is music being played, or me staring off in a highway trance oblivious to nothing but my own thoughts and the car in front. I can understand there being a car that is just too loud, but that is not what we are talking about.

2016 CX-3 AWD GT - Ceramic Metallic
post #15 of 26 Old 09-09-2015, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for posting your experiences.

Please bear with us folks who seem to have a minor obsession with noise.
I have always liked little cars and when younger, noise levels were of little concern.

Don't know why, but as I age I prefer calmer surroundings, home, car, public.
My hearing is not improving, and competing background noise makes it difficult to enjoy the cars sound system and use the blue tooth.

Its astounding to me that someone would drive at road speeds with windows down and still be able hear anything going on inside the car.

Maybe I should get a geezer mobile like a Buick or Camry. Ha! No way. Still like the the inherit fun to drive nature of little cars.

BaystateBlue likes this.

Last edited by okhick; 09-09-2015 at 01:28 PM.
post #16 of 26 Old 09-10-2015, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
To answer your questions:

1) I have AWD, I want FWD, but finding it was proving harder than normal.

2) I'm not a huge fan of AC usage, but I did have it on during the hotter parts of travel. On the drive back though, it was windows open all the way!

3) Most of my home driving is highway/city (60%/40%). I use the major toll road to get to work in the morning and typically take the city way home in the evening when there's less traffic. In the few days since I've been back my mileage is holding steady at 32.4mpg.

4) I used the sport mode once the entire trip and that was to get around a particularly snotty driver who was being an asshat about letting me back into the middle lane after I was in the passing lane. Other than that it wasn't needed because the regular get up and get of the CX3 got me where I needed to be with zero hesitation.

Thanks for the info and well done on getting terrific mileage.

BaystateBlue likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 09-10-2015, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhick View Post
Thanks for posting your experiences.

Please bear with us folks who seem to have a minor obsession with noise.
I have always liked little cars and when younger, noise levels were of little concern.

My hearing is not improving, and competing background noise makes it difficult to enjoy the cars sound system and use the blue tooth.

Its astounding to me that someone would drive at road speeds with windows down and still be able hear anything going on inside the car.
What he said...

Me, I like Jazz...the sort with periods of 'open spaces' where not so many notes competing with each other. My old Civic has wind issues...just not cool when you are heading down the road listening to some old Coltrane or Miles...and notice the wind or road noise.

Actually, I find I mostly listen to sports talk radio to and from work during football and hockey season...doesn't spoil the experience since it's just people talking because the experience is just information, not beauty.
post #18 of 26 Old 09-10-2015, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhick View Post
Well you don't need to worry about that. As I said earlier, if there was more than unusual noise the blue tooth hands free would pick it up and make it difficult for the other person to hear you; and that is not the case with the CX-3 while cruising around.

If you don't want to hear your engine revving when an engine is suppose to rev than a Mazda may not be for you. I am unaware of cars with very quite revving engines, maybe Tesla's. But wind noise isn't a problem in my opinion with the CX-3. Until i get my roof rack on (i'm going whisper bar).

2016 CX-3 AWD GT - Ceramic Metallic
post #19 of 26 Old 09-10-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavenfish View Post
What he said...

Me, I like Jazz...the sort with periods of 'open spaces' where not so many notes competing with each other. My old Civic has wind issues...just not cool when you are heading down the road listening to some old Coltrane or Miles...and notice the wind or road noise.

Actually, I find I mostly listen to sports talk radio to and from work during football and hockey season...doesn't spoil the experience since it's just people talking because the experience is just information, not beauty.
I can understand that. Music and driving definitely seem to go hand in hand. I personally like a heavy bass line and having a sound system that can handle that matters. The bose system that I listened to in my Touring test drive honestly didn't sound any better than he Sport model. So instead I'm looking to aftermarket options. But I get the wind noise, because I don't like any. So as long as the windows are either fully up or fully down I'm fine, but that cutting noise with windows slightly lowered doesn't help me at all.

post #20 of 26 Old 09-13-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay another update. Still upping the Mpg on the sport. I did an up and back trip from NoVa to Richmond, VA today and got the mpg up to 32.8.
ohgeez likes this.

Tags
highway , mileage , mpg , roadtrip , thousand

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode