1Likes
  • 1 Post By darvetis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Automobilemag.com Review

A lot of reviews popping up now. While this one is complementary, this reviewer says it's difficult to recommend the CX-3

He says good things about the Mazda3 5 door, I'm going to have to do a bit of research on that model, know very little about it.

2016 Mazda CX-3 Review
Jay likes this.

Last edited by darvetis; 05-06-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-07-2015, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting read...I've been waffling on the M3 sGT Hatchback vs. CX-3 myself. Given everything I've read the M3 sGT is just too much of a grand slam as far as packaging and price comparison. Still undecided but the M3 is looking more appealing for sure.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Jay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
The way I see it, if you don't need the added capability and cargo space of the CX-3, then you might as well get the Mazda3 hatchback, plus like the cX-3 it also looks great!

post #4 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The way I see it, if you don't need the added capability and cargo space of the CX-3, then you might as well get the Mazda3 hatchback, plus like the cX-3 it also looks great!

It has less cargo space and is slower and more thirsty than Mazda 3. However it does have some advantages. More ground clearance, awd availability, and some useful towing ability.
The last may not be admitted to by Mazda USA. but the Aussie version is rated
To pull 1408 lbs unbraked.
Its possible, based on early reviews, the CX may have less objectionable road and wind noise,

Main advantage for me? Looks a lot better.(purely subjective)

Last edited by okhick; 05-08-2015 at 12:52 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhick View Post

It has less cargo space and is slower and more thirsty than Mazda 3. However it does have some advantages. More ground clearance, awd availability, and some useful towing ability.
The Mazda USA brochure states that the ground clearance for the Mazda 3 is 6.1 inches fully loaded, while Road and Track says the CX-3 is 5.9 inches fully loaded (actually, I have seen 3 or 4 different ground clearance figures for the CX-3, so who knows what the exact figure is)

The Mazda 3 hatchback is about 8 inches longer than the CX-3, and 1.5 inches wider. Wheelbase is almost 5 inches longer. I'm not sure if the slightly larger dimensions are going to be a problem for me or not.

I don't need AWD and will never tow anything. I like the looks of both. Looks like I have another model to consider....

Last edited by darvetis; 05-08-2015 at 07:00 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=darvetis;9185]The Mazda USA brochure states that the ground clearance for the Mazda 3 is 6.1 inches fully loaded, while Road and Track says the CX-3 is 5.9 inches fully loaded (actually, I have seen 3 or 4 different ground clearance figures for the CX-3, so who knows what the exact figure is)

The Mazda 3 hatchback is about 8 inches longer than the CX-3, and 1.5 inches wider. Wheelbase is almost 5 inches longer. I'm not sure if the slightly larger dimensions are going to be a problem for me or not.

I don't need AWD and will never tow anything. I like the looks of both. Looks like I have another model to consider....[/QUOTE

Thanks, Darvetis. I thoughtlessly assumed the CX would have more ground clearance than the 3 because its a"CUV". As you point out, different sources give different numbers.

Mazda Australia lists CX gc as 155mm (6..1") with 75 kg driver
3 as 155 "laden"

May be safe to say difference is insignificant.
Though you are not interested in towing for those who are I was also surprised that Aussie tow rating for 3 is only 88lbs less. It seems 2 of the advantages I noted for CX are bogus. I should be more careful with my posts.

A Think a lot of folks will be cross shopping within the Mazda dealership.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I considered the Mazda 3 last year but it's feminine looks & nicely loaded cost made the VW GTI a better deal.

The CX looks good & the power while puny is adequate for around town but suspect for hauling anything more than a push lawn mower.
It will come down for me if the CX3 can be reasonably priced BELOW a similarly equipped Mazda3.

Else - I'll have to keep on looking.

as the article says: "But we canít deny that success in this new class of crossovers requires a delicate balance between desirability and practicality."

Last edited by HelloThereCX3; 05-15-2015 at 05:08 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 06:12 PM

I like the GTI and a have given it consideration also. A lot of attributes.
One curious thing though. A friend has a 6sp manual he let me drive. All the reviewers laud the shift action. I found it vague and rubbery compared to every Mazda or Honda I have driven, enough so it would be a deal killer for me.
The DSG dct gets good reviews also, but there is some question about it's reliability and with Volkswagen in general.

I agree about the 3s looks. Not an advantage for it and the main reason I would choose a CX-3 instead. Doubt if there will be much price difference between them when similarly equipped, though it would be nice if CX is cheaper.

Last edited by okhick; 05-15-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode