Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Winter Tires and wheels

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NotAPreppie 
#1 ·
Hey folks. I just signed up here and this looks to be the place to ask this question, if not please feel free to direct me in the right direction!

I have a 2016 CX3 and was wondering if some winter tires (225-60R 16) on wheels with an offset of +40 and Centre bore of 72mm would fit okay.

Thanks for any help on this.

#2 · (Edited)
The tires will be a little taller but only by about 1.6% so that should be fine.

I've run 225/50-18 on 18x8 +38 (even taller and offset farther out) with only a hint of rubbing on the fender liners at full steering lock. I expect you'll be fine unless the tires you pick run especially wide for their advertised size (which is common for race tires).

I'm pretty sure that the hub size on the CX-3 is 67.1 mm (common size for Mazda) but talk to a wheel/tire dealer like Tire Rack or Discount Tire (or whatever is popular in your region). You should get hubcentric rings to make sure things mate up easily. Make sure the bore size is genuinely 72mm and not 72.6mm (the latter being far more common for aftermarket wheels).

You can theoretically get away without having hubcentric rings (I do it all the time with my race wheels on my RX-8) but I don't recommend it. Basic plastic or aluminum rings are silly cheap (<US$10 on Amazon) and they make getting the wheel centered much easier. There's a reason why TireRack ships you rings and lug nuts for "free" (really built into the cost of the wheel).

#3 ·
The recommended package on TR shows 16” Steel wheels with +55 offset. Not sure how far you can stray from that. A couple of advantages buying from them....if ANYTHING doesn’t work, they will take care of it, no questions asked. They will send you a complete package that allows you to swap whenever you like, at home, so that you are independent from tire shops.

I am waiting for Bridgestone’s $70 rebate on Blizzaks then I will probably order this package, which is -2 on my car.

#4 ·
The 16" steelies that TR sell are pretty heavy. It may be worth it to get a cheap set of alloys instead. Improved braking, acceleration, fuel economy, ride quality...

If anybody is in the market and not married to Blizzaks, Goodyear and Firestone both have $60 MIRs while Dunlop is offering a $40 MIR right now.

Also, 205/65-16 should also be an acceptable size in addition to the standard 215/60-16.

Reactions: kobelco
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.