Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Paint Chips CX3 - Recall

20K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Touchdowncollections 
#1 ·
Hi Gals/Girls,

I am fellow cx3 owner 2016 myself, have had car less then 6 months, my paint is failing, over 12 chips, paint is flaking off. If you own a cx3 you need to write to Mazda Canada Warranty - I have been to 3 Paint detailer shops, the primer is failing - The hood of your will flake off in a couple of years.

Was told they used a cheaper/ in their words more envirmently friendly paint this year on the cx3 - Mazda USA is running into very big problems on this, they are aware - Canada they have not made a decision on this topic yet.

If you think its rock chips or just, say hey only a couple of dings - You need to think again. Its going to get worse.
So please see your dealership asap, also contact Mazda Warranty. - I have owned 2 skyactive modesl3 and 6 never had this much damage to my paint.

Thanks,

#3 · (Edited)
Yes Canada... USA has had very large response - CDN side, starting to warm up... I thought it was just me, or had a couple or bad chips off HWY, Like I said 3 Auto Detailers, who specialize in paint - All said primer which is supposed to protect your paint, the coating is failing.

Also have spoke to Senior Mazda REp, off the record she has told me its the new paint they used on these models. I am hoping mazda steps up the plate and fixes the issue. - If not, Will be my last for sure.

Ford ran into this problem in 2006 - It happens, but they also painted peoples cars, fixed the issue. - See a forum on this site as well, about paint chips, I know we are not the only ones.

Winter will be brutal this year, I bet I will double the chips/Flakes on my hood/ also sides.

#5 ·
You could say that the primer protects the paint by keeping it attached to the car.

Reactions: gwebb9
#6 ·
Don’t pay a lot of attention to this unless he turns up with some photos because the wording is such that there is no evidence and it is just scaremongering. How on earth can even a bodyshop determine the primer is failing?

"he hood of your car will flake off in a couple of years” - thats quite a bold prediction considering none of us here have spotted it in over a year. Yes modern paint chips but thats it - chips.

EDIT; just checked for TSBs and there are none.

#9 ·
Is there any particular colours involved or is it (as you say) just the primer or is the clear coat involved? I would like to see this narrowed down a bit before I have reason to get nervous. So far I have only had one chip on my hood and by the look of it I am fairly certain it was caused by a flying piece of gravel.

#10 ·
My CX5 is made from the same metal in the same factory and covered with the same paint. In my part of the UK, they coat the roads with chipping in the summer to provide an abrasive wearing layer through the winter and despite it getting showered in the loose ones while it all cleaned itself up by use, there are very few chips on my potentially doomed paintwork. This is all despite what 3 experts and one insider has told the OP? Hmmm.

#11 ·
First off, I too have doubts about the validity of this claim. But also, it should be noted that not all paint colours use the same type of paint or painting process. For example, Soul Red is a 3-stage paint system, which is a very different painting process than a typical base/clear. Even if there was an issue it would likely affect specific colours.

#12 ·
We know that. Why would it make s difference?

#14 · (Edited)
The interior is so noisy on these cars, I'm not surprised you didn't hear it. The only "safe" spot from rocks on our cars is the rear window and hatch. I had a 2012 Jeep Patriot which is similar in size and took a rock on the roof right over my head. There were no cars in front of me which means it came from the opposite direction. It was a glancing blow but is was loud. It didn't break the paint or leave a dent and I was able to polish it out.

How high up on the hood are the chips? I had PPF put on the first week of ownership that goes halfway up the hood so that gives me a 50/50 chance of taking one on the hood.

#15 ·
Hey, So far been Soul Red - Sorry Paint Detailers could of meant the clear coat is Failing = NOt trying to be troll . Love my CX3 - But want fellow owners to keep an eye on any paint chips, starting to flake off, or have more then normal. Yes rock flying off hwy, ect, will chip paint. But I have had ride less then 6 months, seen over 12 or so, chips all over front, some on side.

Also have senior mazada rep working at head office in Canada, saying USA is starting to see issues with the paint - Did confirm that they used new paint on these models. Also went to 3 paint / detailers all said same thing to me, should not see this many chips, on my paint, even if hit a bad patch on hwy with rocks. Stay Tuned... Maybe I have lost my mind? Bud did see many posts on here, saying had my card less then one week and have chips.. SOmebody please say I am normal? lol I don't want to be a holiday troll.

Much love

#16 ·
It would help if you filled in some profile details of your car and where you live.

I’m sorry but there are enough of us running these things to already be concerned if there was an issue with the paint. All modern cars are using water based paint and all modern paint is not that much different than previous oil/solvent technologies in that it will chip if a stone hits it. I don’t accept that it will chip or flake off on its own or we would know about it by now. There is a section in the owners manual with guidance about where to drive when following another car in order to avoid stone chipping (just common sense really) but if your paint is chipped excessively, it didn’t do it on its own. Why are you running round seeing paint detailers and talking privately to a Mazda rep instead of taking it up with your dealer? You are not making the right noises and if you thing the paint on other cars doesn’t chip, you are wrong. Show us some photos of your car and all these chips so that we can form a better opinion.

#22 ·
posting with an image host like photobucket is best.

#27 ·
Welcome to the forum Jacob.

I can see you have some paint chips but how can you conclude that this is a primer defect?

Can you give us more details about your car and your location please.

Reactions: 17CeramicMetallicGT
#29 ·
CX3 NG Paint

Thanks for your comments.

All the front end and even doors have this issues.
Pictures a from hood, fender , bumper.

But its a primer failure.
Here is the reason why.

Paint has three main layers.
Primer/Base/Clear which has to pass a few test. Hardness / Adherence / Color Test
When a rock hits a painted part the clear which has between 25-35 micras will uphold the paint.
So when you see that a little rock scrapes away the clear, base (color) and primer the adherence is NG.
So i did and adherence test since I work where I have all this equipment and againg is NG.

#31 ·
For the benefit of all of us, please update us with the response from Mazda.

#32 ·
Jacob,

Well said, Exact Issue I am having - How do rocks hit the side of your doors? It seems to be issue with the Red soul Colour, I could wrong I don't know how to post my pics, but look just like yours, Flakes all over the front of my car. and sides. I hade Mazda 3 skyactive last year, no chips or flaking - and I do a ton of driving.

Mazda is aware they have an issue - Time well tell when they step up to the plate. Thanks for sharing, as everyone on this site thinks I am a troll lol - Or crazy mazada hater.

Have good Xmas

#33 ·
Hi Gals/Girls,

I am fellow cx3 owner 2016 myself, have had car less then 6 months, my paint is failing, over 12 chips, paint is flaking off. If you own a cx3 you need to write to Mazda Canada Warranty - I have been to 3 Paint detailer shops, the primer is failing - The hood of your will flake off in a couple of years.

Was told they used a cheaper/ in their words more envirmently friendly paint this year on the cx3 - Mazda USA is running into very big problems on this, they are aware - Canada they have not made a decision on this topic yet.

If you think its rock chips or just, say hey only a couple of dings - You need to think again. Its going to get worse.
So please see your dealership asap, also contact Mazda Warranty. - I have owned 2 skyactive modesl3 and 6 never had this much damage to my paint.

Thanks,

I think what she is trying to say is that the clear coat is bubbling and flaking off in tons of spots.
I have the same issue with my Cx3 2020 , only 8 months old and there are about 30~50 spots of clear coarse flaking, I'm gonna contact the dealership I bought from and mazda canada

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.