Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Installed Factory Roof Rails

38K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  Malks 
#1 ·
This weekend I added the factory roof rails.
It didn't take that long maybe an hour and a half.
I think for me the hardest part was making sure the rubber would stay on the aluminum rails. Also doing it in 28º weather didn't help ;)

Next up, fix that nasty horn.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
They do look good, and being that our cars are the same color and trim, it gives me an idea how mine would look if I were to purchase those.

Reactions: ret63
#5 ·
Looks good. Just picked up the rails and bars today myself. Waiting for a warmer day to install.

Picked mine up for $229 for the rails and $136 for the bars. No Shipping made the price basically the same as buying online. If anyone is looking for these in the Seattle area University Mazda always seems to have better then average price on parts.

#8 ·
Anyone thinking of installing the rails, don't let the overly-cautious instructions inhibit you.

For instance, prying off the original plastic strip ... one twist of the tape-covered screwdriver and the whole thing pops off. Otherwise, just go slowly and you're golden.

My only disappointment, the cross-bars have more of an arch than I would like.

#17 ·
My bumper trims were eBay'ed from bleqi ... a little over $100 US, each. Extremely well packed, arrived in less than a week! No instructions but easily installed. Relatively robust stainless steel.

P.S. Aussie gear seems awfully pricey to me :(

#26 ·
Just an FYI to be careful when screwing the mounting brackets to the deflector and don't tighten them the full way. It results in the deflector becoming a cool little wing that lifts of your bonnet when you drive. I was lucky as it's warm here so the glue hadn't set yet, but it might set pretty quick in Canada. Might be best to do a quick trip up the road and back after installing to make sure it doesn't lift off.

#28 · (Edited)
I installed my roof rails today. The right one seems a tad shorter than the left. The end piece doesn't go into the hatch lid trim as far as it seems it should. Otherwise, I love them. They add a little vertical height and the brightwork ties in nicely with the lower door trim, all contrasts nicely on the black.

I started to install the lower rear bumper trim but thought my garage was a bit too cool for all the adhesive work that is needed. May wait until the Spring to install it.

#29 · (Edited)
If you bought the rails domestically, I'd take a picture, contact the seller and ask for a return or compensation.

I recently ebayed an item from china, quality was just too low to use, took pictures and requested a return, seller immediately refunded my paypal account and requested I dispose of the item ... no return.

P.S. Your bumper trim is not the no-adhesive, stainless-steel version from china/thailand?

#33 ·
'Looking good ... although I still think there's too much arch in the cross bars. (Mine went back in the box and ended up high up on a garage shelf ... facilitates winter snow removal :)

Thank goodness I have a set of TORX drivers and sockets ... immediately threw away the included tool.

#44 ·
The installation is a piece of cake! Pop off the trim pieces (keeping them so I can remove and sell the rails come trade-in time), put the spacers in place with the arrows pointing forward. Place the side rails on the roof ensuring the rubber is still properly attached and over the channel. Line up the bolt holes and insert the bolts. Torque the bolts to the proper setting, insert the plastic covers and done. Absolutely silent and they look great. My black GT model came with the chrome trim on the doors so the roof rails compliment them nicely.

BTW, I had tried to save some money and bought a fixed-point roof rack for my CX-3 last winter to hold my ski rack and they whistled so loudly I had to remove them after each use. Since that was such a PIA, I sold them and decided to go with the OEM rack. I found a set of cross bars online that a former owner had removed from their car before trade-in and got a good deal on those for $80CDN. I searched for a used set of side rails for a couple of months and had no luck. I was unsure of the quality of the aftermarket side rails found on eBay, and since they were only $50 less than the OEM part through Mazda, I decided to get them at my local dealer.

#45 ·
Im deciding between this and a set of yakima/thule mounts. Does anyone have real world experience with loading two mountain bikes onto the rails? If so, how well solid does it feel? i see that the cross bars are held on by two screws per side, so that kind of has me a bit worried.

#46 ·
A bike rack system by Yakima or Thule will be attached to the roof by one bolt at each end of the bar if you go with the fixed bolt attachment. If you use the universal style that uses brackets in the door openings, there are no bolts attaching the rack to the car.

The OEM cross bars and bolts that attach them to the side rails are more than enough to easily support a bike rack. This rack system is stronger than any aftermarket rack I have used on any previous vehicle. There are four bolts, two on each side, that attach the aluminium side rails to the roof and then four more that attach each cross bar to the side rails. The weight rating is 165 lbs / 75 kg, per set of cross bars. I think they will hold a couple of bicycles.

As a matter of fact Mazda sells a bike rack attachment made by Thule for their OEM rail / cross bars. BTW, the price shown in CDN$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.