User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-20-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
18 year old Protege - needs replacement

I have an 18 year old Mazda Protege that needs replacement. I have been very satisfied with it, except for the shock absorbers, that needed frequent, expensive, replacement. The rest is still perfect, not even a squeak.

It is time to move to an AWD small SUV. I am considering the CX-3 as well as the Honda HR-V and the Subaru Crosstrek.

Having analyzed the pros and cons, the overwhelming advantage of the CX-3 is that it is manufactured in Japan. I also appreciate the Mazda handling, the more powerful engine and the quality of the electronics.

I am waiting to see how quiet the car is, how large is the interior and whether there will be a sunroof. My only concern is the cargo space that does not seem flat and not high enough to fit my bicycle upright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-21-2014, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Welcome Eric, recognize the name from the HRV site. Seems many of us have the same idea
post #3 of 18 Old 11-21-2014, 03:59 PM
TnT

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Keep your Protege and get the CX-3, just turn the Protege into your weekend fun car

But on a serious note, do you plan on trading it in at the dealer when you go to get your CX3 or getting the most out of it and selling it privately?

post #4 of 18 Old 11-22-2014, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT View Post
But on a serious note, do you plan on trading it in at the dealer when you go to get your CX3 or getting the most out of it and selling it privately?
Yes, I am also part of the HR-V forum as well, however I am now inclined to go for the CX-3.

I will try to trade-in my old Mazda, but I doubt it has any value, even for parts. To have it certified for a private sale, would cost more than it is worth.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMartin View Post
Yes, I am also part of the HR-V forum as well, however I am now inclined to go for the CX-3.

I will try to trade-in my old Mazda, but I doubt it has any value, even for parts. To have it certified for a private sale, would cost more than it is worth.
Mazda to me is slowly becoming an almost Honda of the 90's. Fun zippy stuff, good economy, affordable. Of course Honda is still Honda which makes deciding more difficult...
post #6 of 18 Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I noticed you mentioned quietness... you might be disappointed when you finally drive one of these.

By default, an entry-level 4 cylinder Japanese vehicle like this will be noisy to some degree
post #7 of 18 Old 11-22-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
I noticed you mentioned quietness... you might be disappointed when you finally drive one of these.

By default, an entry-level 4 cylinder Japanese vehicle like this will be noisy to some degree
of course, but i agree keeping out road noise is important...
post #8 of 18 Old 11-23-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
I plan to add rustproofing which might help reduce the noise. If it still a problem, it could put soundproofing material on the cargo floor and over the rear wheels wells.

It would be nice to soundproof the doors and the hatch as well. I should look for a rustproofing outlet that would do sound insulation as well.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-24-2014, 03:48 PM
TnT

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
it's going to be a lot of work to sound proof but from the sounds of it, it seems like you plan on keeping this vehicle for a while, which in that case doing these things will pay off in the long term.

Would sound proofing be something you do yourself or take to a shop?

I've seen some sound proofing DIY installs and they seem easy enough for even a newb to do.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT View Post
it's going to be a lot of work to sound proof but from the sounds of it, it seems like you plan on keeping this vehicle for a while, which in that case doing these things will pay off in the long term.

Would sound proofing be something you do yourself or take to a shop? I've seen some sound proofing DIY installs and they seem easy enough for even a newb to do.
I will first do the rust-proofing and I will add full tailored carpeting all around for ease of cleaning and replacement once they turn white with salt. I will then test the noise on a trip. My old clunker has increased my level of tolerance; I might find the CX-3 quiet enough.

Otherwise I will do simple things like putting insulation material on the trunk floor and on the rear wheel wells. I do not like the idea of dismantling the doors - if I am desperate I might do that too. I will definitely not remove all the carpeting as I have seen in some pictures.

If I find a good professional outlet that could do the sound insulation I would let them do it. I figure that adding $1000 or $2000 to the cost of the car is a good deal if I can get it as quiet as an Audi Q3.

The Q3 is an alternative I am considering. However, I am concerned about its oil consumption.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode