7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-21-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Driver/Passenger Elbow rest indentation

Hey everyone, have been monitoring for a couple of years and wanted to thank everyone!

We have been battling this issue since we purchased our CX3 and wanted to gather everyone's feedback and how we can tackle this together with Mazda USA.

Problem: Resting elbow on driver or passenger's door elbow rest over time creates a permanent indentation.

Goal: Gather enough ownership complaints on this specific issue from owners in the hopes to get it fixed once and for all by Mazda USA.

The story:
After 2 weeks of ownership and couple of hundred miles noticed the indentation forming from resting our elbows on the door's arm rest. At first we didn't think much of it as we thought more than likely it would "bounce" back to where it was. Another week goes by (week 3) and we noticed that it is definitely not going back to its original shape. Just to answer some of the basics, we did not lean on it at any time nor do we apply excessive pressure do that spot no more than any other car. My wife weighs no more than 115lbs at 5'5 and I am about 185 lbs at 6'0.

We contacted the dealership and initially they wouldn't cover this type of issue because the door rest has been designed to "crush" in case of a car collision. I thought this was BS personally so I contacted Mazda USA... Apparently they called the dealer and had them replace it for a one time but also agreed with the dealer that the area has been designed for car collision purposes. At this point we were extremely happy with the service and thought that we simply overlooked how we handled the car. The problem is that they needed to replace the whole door-panel which took more time than usual, not to mention the 2-3 visits that followed to get everything perfect. Regardless, after it was all said and done we babied both doors in the hopes not to create those permanent dents. Sure enough after 3-4 weeks the dents were back and we gave up.

Fast forward about a year, the CX3 is due for an oil change and need to replace the rear bumper guard (add on accessory) as it has built up rust and I definitely want to revisit the door rest issue. I will let everyone know on my updates as well as calling Mazda USA again.

Questions:
  1. Has anyone else noticed the same issue?
  2. Do you think this is normal after such a short time or are we just being annoying owners?

-Dented Owners

P.S We really love our CX3!!!
TiGrayMSM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-01-2017, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Garage
You might be able to get it fixed under this warranty TSB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf White felt visible from DOOR ARM REST (Poor Appearance) (1).pdf (186.6 KB, 126 views)
bjn likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2016 anchorman

.........and another thing"
post #3 of 17 Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
You might be able to get it fixed under this warranty TSB.
Thanks! I will keep this in our back pocket just in case we need it. I do have a scheduled visit the week of April 10th, I will let everyone know my findings. I did call Mazda USA to check on my case and they simply said that they have not received enough complaints but the warranty from the work last year should cover it.

I have noticed the same issue whenever I get a loaner car and have observed so far on the CX5 and Mazda 6.

2016 2.0-liter SkyActiv-G AWD

post #4 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
After taking it in for an oil change and them buffing out some minor rust spots on the bumper guard (accessory) we were stuck of course on the door indentation. The good thing out of this is that my call to Mazda USA recently caused a collaboration with my dealership. After a few calls back and forth from dealer to Mazda, they said they would contact me and bring the car in again. The story is to be continued unfortunately

P.S Below is a picture of the indentation and discoloration, not a good way to take a picture unless I'm pressing down on the actual spot. The picture below shows how the natural light curves around the indentation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1555.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	16417  

post #5 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My elbowrest has 0 padding left. It is a terrible design, so I feared getting it replaced would lead to the same problem. However, due to the complete incompetence of Mazda dealers I have not taken it in for this issue. My worry is that I will take the car in for the elbowrest issue, and then deal with scratches, rattles, and overall poor workmanship for an issue likely to come up again. Please keep us updated with how Mazda will take care of this!
mainemanx likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My driver's door elbow rest does have a small indentation after seven months of ownership. However, so did my Acura MDX (which, oddly enough, had less padding). As long as the covering remain intact, I can live with this. BTW, the MDX armrest basically remained this way throughout the time (7+ years) I owned it.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
My driver's door elbow rest does have a small indentation after seven months of ownership. However, so did my Acura MDX (which, oddly enough, had less padding). As long as the covering remain intact, I can live with this. BTW, the MDX armrest basically remained this way throughout the time (7+ years) I owned it.
Through my 20 years of owning various cars with various build quality, this is the first time I'm encountering this. Funny thing is, I was playing around with a new CX5 display model and sure enough it also had an indentation from various customers sitting in it.

The more people we get to call Mazda USA the better it will be. See if you can spare a few moments to report the issue.

post #8 of 17 Old 04-11-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGrayMSM View Post
My elbowrest has 0 padding left. It is a terrible design, so I feared getting it replaced would lead to the same problem. However, due to the complete incompetence of Mazda dealers I have not taken it in for this issue. My worry is that I will take the car in for the elbowrest issue, and then deal with scratches, rattles, and overall poor workmanship for an issue likely to come up again. Please keep us updated with how Mazda will take care of this!
Will sure keep everyone updated but definitely call Mazda USA. See if you can spare a few moments to report the issue. The more people we get to call the more likely they will do something about it.
TiGrayMSM likes this.

post #9 of 17 Old 04-13-2017, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After a year and a half, there is just a very small dent in my armrest. I don't use it much because with the seat all the way back and reclined, my elbow naturally rests at the very back of the armrest, and it's way too narrow there to be comfortable. Wish it was wider.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-24-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well two weeks later the dealer finally reached out to me again requesting pictures of the door because they lost theirs! Finally, the ordered the door today and will call me to schedule a replacement.

The whole door is one piece, so they can't just replace the arm rest! I'll keep everyone updated but make sure you do call Mazda USA. It literally takes 5min.
anchorman and TiGrayMSM like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode