User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I-activsense package

Hello - newbie to this forum. Current owner of a 2014 CX-5 GT looking to possibly switch to the CX-3.

One of my questions when moving forward is peoples thoughts on the I-Activesense package. Do you feel it is worth the $2000 upgrade?

Thanks for your insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Welcome. It was a must for me. Radar Cruise Control is awesome (assuming you're in the US and its included), rain sensing wipers, auto headlights are a must for me. Some people don't like the nannies, I find them handy and added peace of mind.
Jerry Differding likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #3 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
For me it wasn't worth it. Sure it was nice to have auto headlights (had them in my previous car), but not a necessity, I do miss it sometimes. Radar cruise control is pointless for me, I don't drive on the highway much, most of my driving is city. Rain sensing wipers, meh. Lane departure warning is normally good, but on the CX-3 is kinda half-assed. It does not vibrate the steering wheel or seat like other cars do, it just makes a fake rumbling noise coming out of your speakers, which is something you could easily ignore or if you doze off behind the wheel will do absolutely nothing to wake you up like an actual feedback does. At any rate I don't fall asleep behind the wheel or get distracted to drive out of my lane.

So for me, the auto headlights would've been the only thing I care about, but not worth it for $2000.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

post #4 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
I don't look at it as spending $2000 on the package. I didn't pay retail MSRP so the cost was negotiated down, then the savings on my insurance premiums. All the while enjoying the benefits of the suite of features and will certainly have a higher resale value when the time comes.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #5 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I drive a lot of freeway and love the radar cruise control.

The safety features like the brake assist and collision detection are nice too. Not that I rely on these things, but they are great safety features.

Rain sensing wipers are good... usually set and forget but not totally hands-free.

Lane departure is probably a bit aggressive and can be annoying. Gets fooled by line patterns on roads (eg tar snakes or pavement seams).

High beam control and blind spot monitors are unreliable. HBC will get fooled by lights in the distance on a dark backroad. Blind spot monitors don't work reliably in high traffic volumes, often generating false alarms or no warnings at all.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 05:06 PM

Garage
The "higher resale value" thing is a scam, its a tactic dealers use to sell you something you don't need, just like when they try to sell you extended warranty. Dealers don't give you money based on what's in your car, but based on what similar cars have been sold for in the area. They have a system where they show you the prices of what other dealers have sold a car similar to yours and say "this is what your car is worth". They've probably faked the numbers anyway.

My insurance cost is already low, about $400 for 6 months. I doubt having that extra package would reduce it by much. Even if it reduced it to $300 for 6 months (I highly doubt it but let's pretend), its a saving of $200 a year. I generally keep a car for 2-3 years before I get a new one. Even if I keep my current car for 4 years that would be a saving of $800 vs a cost of $2000, or even $1500 if negotiated. Now keep in mind most of us finance cars, so that cost gets added to the loan which means we'll pay a couple hundred dollars more in interest.

If you use those features, great, then the iACTIVESENSE is a great value. But for me, it's not a good value at all.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for your insightful comments. I greatly appreciate it.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflex View Post
I drive a lot of freeway and love the radar cruise control.

The safety features like the brake assist and collision detection are nice too. Not that I rely on these things, but they are great safety features.

Rain sensing wipers are good... usually set and forget but not totally hands-free.

Lane departure is probably a bit aggressive and can be annoying. Gets fooled by line patterns on roads (eg tar snakes or pavement seams).

High beam control and blind spot monitors are unreliable. HBC will get fooled by lights in the distance on a dark backroad. Blind spot monitors don't work reliably in high traffic volumes, often generating false alarms or no warnings at all.
I have to agree with most of what You say
We bought the top spec, mainly to get all the gadgets (here in Denmark, the I-activsense package is part of the top spec and can't be ordered for the other specs).
We love the radar cruise control and distance control.
The rain sensor work quite well, it's our first car with rain sensor, so I canÝt compare with others makers rain sensors.
The Lane departure is set to least intrusive, which works quite well.
HBC works perfectly for me, but we mainly have twisty roads and hills but I do agree that it detects both front and rear lights rather far away on straight roads.
BSM works flawlessly for us. We haven't noticed it not working or giving false alarms and the rear traffic alert also works well (only seen it in action a few times).
Overall we're happy to have bought the top spec and paid the extra money for the gadgets.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

My fuel consumption average
post #9 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 05:11 PM

Garage
No problem Jerry, good luck!

make sure you come back here and post some pics if you do decide to get a CX-3

post #10 of 16 Old 03-01-2016, 05:14 PM

Garage
Blind Spot Monitor is a bit finicky, I agree. But it is included in the GT by default (and I believe Touring) without buying any extra package.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode