CX-3 and Infant/Baby seats - can it be done? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-18-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CX-3 and Infant/Baby seats - can it be done?

Hi All,

Does anyone use an infant/baby seat with their CX-3? Based on my research, it looks like the CX-3 is the least baby seat friendly car. I love the CX-3 styling but it might not be suited for a family of 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-18-2016, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have my baby seat installed on the driver side and my 5 year old child can still get in and out comfortably.
mikflores likes this.

2016 Mazda CX3 GT FWD Soul Red Metallic
post #3 of 16 Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatt3r View Post
I have my baby seat installed on the driver side and my 5 year old child can still get in and out comfortably.
Are you talking about the forward-facing booster seat or a rear-facing infant seat? I have two booster seats in my car for my 5 and 8 year old and they fit okay, but their feet definitely are against the back of the driver's seat when I'm driving and I'm no giant at a pretty average height of 5' 11" (180cm). I suspect pretty strongly that a rear-facing infant seat is probably only feasible in the CX-3 for a single parent that rarely uses the front passenger seat.

This was the exact reason why I traded in my 2007 Mazda 3 sedan, by the way. I was also unhappy with the Mazda 3's winter performance here in Wisconsin, but the car seat situation was the last straw. I had to put the infant seat in the center and slide both front seats nearly all the way forward to fit the seat in there. If I didn't need the front passenger seat, I could put the car seat on that side of the car, but undoing the LATCH system in that car was enough of a hassle with the base that it just wasn't worth moving it. It just wasn't safe or comfortable to drive that way with my knees against the dash.

post #4 of 16 Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Last year we spent six weeks with three kids seats in the back of the CX3, when my son borrowed our big car. One car seat facing backwards for a 10 month old, another facing forward for a two year old and a booster seat for a four year old (all grand kids). It was very squeezy but they all fitted in safely. Not much leg room, but it was only for short trips.

CX3 iTouring petrol auto awd safety pack Soul Red
post #5 of 16 Old 01-28-2016, 06:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePete View Post
Last year we spent six weeks with three kids seats in the back of the CX3, when my son borrowed our big car. One car seat facing backwards for a 10 month old, another facing forward for a two year old and a booster seat for a four year old (all grand kids). It was very squeezy but they all fitted in safely. Not much leg room, but it was only for short trips.
Out of curiosity, are newer rear-facing infant seats used in the US and down in Oz designed differently than what us Yanks use or used to use a few years ago? The Graco seat we had for our kids 8-9 years ago was very large and bulky and there's no way I'd get it into my CX-3 without having the front seats all the way forward, or very nearly so. I'm average height and in this car I need the seat no closer than halfway back or my knees will be against the dashboard which would be bad news in an accident.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-28-2016, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
I have a front facing car seat for my two-year-old and a booster for my four-year-old. The only downside is that the design of the headrests require them to be removed to accommodate the seats. My four-year-old is quite tall for her size, so I will soon be removing the top portion of her booster and at least one headrest can go back in before I lose it (and no, they are not in my trunk/boot, as they would fill up half the space!).

I know that our children's safety is paramount, but upon reading up on some of recommendations, some, in my opinion, go a bit too far. If I followed them to a 'T', my wife would be in the back seat with a booster as well! I remember growing up, my family would only wear seat belts if we were driving on the highway on holiday. My father used to let me sit in his lap and "steer". My how times have changed...

'16 Meteor Gray Mica FWD GT
post #7 of 16 Old 01-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
Out of curiosity, are newer rear-facing infant seats used in the US and down in Oz designed differently than what us Yanks use or used to use a few years ago? The Graco seat we had for our kids 8-9 years ago was very large and bulky and there's no way I'd get it into my CX-3 without having the front seats all the way forward, or very nearly so. I'm average height and in this car I need the seat no closer than halfway back or my knees will be against the dashboard which would be bad news in an accident.
Not sure if you are referring to what we call baby capsules (which are all rear-facing and not too bulky, for new borns), or child seats which start being used when the baby grows out of the capsule. Here, these child seats can be compact or bulky. They are set up rear-facing for babies just out of the capsule (with the baby almost prone) and then turned around to front-facing when the baby reaches the right size (and are then just about sitting up). We had the rear-facing baby seat in the middle (would not have fitted in otherwise), but once forward facing the two baby seats and booster did fit (just).
The boot/trunk is a big limitation for families with the CX3.

post #8 of 16 Old 01-30-2016, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I have a Gracco base in my rear passenger. The rear facing seat will fit in when the passenger seat is moved forward only. My wife is 5'2" and with her in the passenger seat we can all fit comfortably. No way i could be in the passenger seat though. I like a lot about the CX-3 but I feel hindsight that i would not have bought it if i knew what i knew now. I would have gotten the CX-5 or perhaps some entirely different AWD car. It is just so very small. Fine for 2 people, but that's it. Bummer. Gas tank size is ridiculously small.

2016 CX-3 AWD GT - Ceramic Metallic
post #9 of 16 Old 01-31-2016, 06:17 AM

Interesting. We were able to have both front seats at the position we needed when our rear facing baby/child seat was in the middle of the back seat. The baby/child seat is fairly compact though.

Totally agree that the CX3 is a small car, not suited to a family with say 2 kids - not enough cabin space nor boot/trunk space. We are in our mid 60s and rarely have more than two of us in the car. But it is our second car and great around the city and on shorter trips. We did do an extended interstate trip last May, but that was mainly to try it out.

We both love the CX3. It drives well, the head up display is great, as is the blind spot monitoring. The small petrol tank does not bother us.

post #10 of 16 Old 01-31-2016, 08:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePete View Post
Not sure if you are referring to what we call baby capsules (which are all rear-facing and not too bulky, for new borns), or child seats which start being used when the baby grows out of the capsule. Here, these child seats can be compact or bulky. They are set up rear-facing for babies just out of the capsule (with the baby almost prone) and then turned around to front-facing when the baby reaches the right size (and are then just about sitting up). We had the rear-facing baby seat in the middle (would not have fitted in otherwise), but once forward facing the two baby seats and booster did fit (just).
The boot/trunk is a big limitation for families with the CX3.
This is the type of seat I was talking about. This one is made by Graco and is one of the most popular styles here in the US. These seats are intended for use from newborn until they are large enough graduate to a forward facing seat, usually at around 1 year old. As you can see it extends quite far beyond the front edge of the seat even in the minivan pictured here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode