• 2 Post By Snoogie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Fuel Octane

I was curious to know what fuel octane rating everyone else is using in their CX-3 with the 2.0 Liter Skyactiv engine. I've been running the recommended 87 octane gas and achieving a 29.2 mpg average. Has anybody tried a higher octane fuel and, if so, did you notice any appreciable benefit in economy, power, or driveability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
there is no considerable difference in performance, fuel economy or any other benefits other than spending a lil extra on fuel. these engines were designed and tuned on 87 and going higher without proper reason (force induction) is usually a waste. the higher octane is just how much that formulation of gasoline resistance to ignition. Higher octane in force induction systems is used to prevent pre detonation or knocking in those systems as higher pressures in the cylinder causes the fuel/air mixture to super heat.

one of the few benefits of running on higher or highest octane at the pump is usually there are no ethanol in the mixture which is actually more of a problem than a godsend to any engine as it creates buildup in the combustion chamber. that being said to pumps here in the US, im not at all aware how gasoline mixtures are in other parts of the world.

so realistically higher octane has no added benefit to these engines as they are designed and tuned to use 87 fuel. dont waste your money and just stick with a quality gas brand and stick with 87
greaseman85 and skyking like this.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #3 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
I use 87, using anything higher is a waste of money. Unless your car specifically asks for a higher octane rating, don't use it. There's no performance or fuel economy benefits. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're lying.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
87 octane.

Coming from a RX8 which requires 93 im really enjoying the savings.

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #5 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Absolutely no reason to fill anything other than 87 octane unless you find ethanol-free gas.

If you can find ethanol-free gas within 10% of the regular gas price, it's generally worth it. Theoretically E10 is roughly 3% less energy, but in practice I find it to result in about 10% less mileage, so 10% is the price threshold I use. I suspect gas mileage suffers due to a shift in gear selection, with ethanol fuel resulting in lower gear choices more often, and thus more fuel consumption.

Further, E10 and other ethanol-blended gas are more susceptible to water condensation, leading to a greater potential of engine or fuel system damage.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-25-2016, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
87 octane? What's that made of? Recycled vegetable oil? The lowest I've seen is 95. I use 97 in mine.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
87 octane? What's that made of? Recycled vegetable oil? The lowest I've seen is 95. I use 97 in mine.
North American fuels have a different rating. 87 octane is our "regular" fuel. Its no different than your 95 aside from the way its measured.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #8 of 9 Old 11-25-2016, 04:32 PM

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
In the USA, we use Anti-Knock Index ("AKI") which is also known as Pump Octane Number ("PON"). This is an average of the Research Octane Number ("RON") and the Motor Octane Number ("MON").

Our gasoline is pretty much the same, just has lower numbers attached.

2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!)
2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-25-2016, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Ah, that makes sense. As the saying goes. 'The nice thing about standards is there's just so many to choose from!'
Just googled and apparently 95 RON =91 MON, and 97=93. I thought here used to be 99 octane available too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode